The Android thread

Galaxy and Charge are pretty close on spec but only one of those is currently available and the other would be an indefinite wait.

I'm switching because my iPhone 3GS worked great for about a year and then got really slow and laggy and apps keep crashing. AT&T is also annoying me because I have terrible reception and calls keep getting dropped. So I'm switching to Verizon. Played around with a few Android phones today at the store and going back to the iPhone (even the 4 in the store) felt like a huge step backwards. The Charge and Thunderbolt were just much better.

The Charge is using internals that are close to the Galaxy S 1. The Galaxy S II is a completely different animal and blows it out of the water in terms of performance. That said, the Hummingbird processor in Galaxy S 1 and Droid Charge is certainly no slouch, even when not overclocked. Switch out the horrible RFS file system (pretty easy task) on the Charge and that'll fix any issues with lag you might have. Why Samsung went with that on Galaxy S 1 and continued to on the Charge...I'll never know. Galaxy S II doesn't use RFS thank goodness.

I honestly can't help but think that Apple will increase the screen size of the iPhone...it's looking downright puny out there these days.

What is the Charge?

Why do American carriers feel the need to rename everything?

What is the Charge?

Why do American carriers feel the need to rename everything?

The Verizon Droid Charge is a larger screened Galaxy S 1 but with LTE, and a unique design: no us carrier has the international Galaxy S...each put a unique twist on its design. Verizon's official Galaxy S phone is the Fascinate.

American carriers want consumers to think "network first, device second," so they notoriously differentiate handsets in any way imaginable from each other including names.

For what its worth, the Galaxy S II handset names are rumored to be the Verizon Function, Sprint Attain, and AT&T Within.
Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Last edited:
After doing some research, I am tempted by the Incredible 2 instead of the Charge. No 4G but the phone seems to work a bit quicker (function-wise, not connection)

Yeah, the droid incredible 2's not a bad option either. Nice looks, and it'll get better battery life than the droid incredible 1, which is god awful...as well as beat out any of the lte devices.

EDIT: Played with the incredible 2 yesterday...great phone! :cool:

Last edited:
After doing some research, I am tempted by the Incredible 2 instead of the Charge. No 4G but the phone seems to work a bit quicker (function-wise, not connection)
It also has a better feel in the hand than any Samsung phones I've ever had the displeasure of holding.

I personally would just buy an HTC stock battery.

Most of these cheap chinese batteries often have overrated capacities and don't last many charge cycles. When I buy phones in Hong Kong stores often throw in an "accessories pack" with one of these cheap spare batteries and I've never had one that hasn't turned out to be junk.

In other news, I keep walking past the stores and find myself looking at the Galaxy S2 and Sensation, then wondering how much I'd get for my Nexus S....

Last edited:
Would you recommend it? I'm thinking of renewing my contract early to get that :p (While selling the X10, passing down the IncS to my sis)

The Nexus S's wifi issues are starting to annoy the fuck out of me. With some networks (which my ipad connects to just fine btw) they don't even show up during scanning, and sometimes the connection just randomly drops.

The OTA update rolling out today should address that.

Would you recommend it? I'm thinking of renewing my contract early to get that :p (While selling the X10, passing down the IncS to my sis)

It's a great phone, best one I've ever had. Then again I'm coming from the Palm Pre so it was a big jump.

So it's unofficially official that this is AT&T's variant of the GSII:

BGR-att-samsung-galaxy-s-ii-1110725193016.jpg

Not sure if want.

So it's unofficially official that this is AT&T's variant of the GSII:

BGR-att-samsung-galaxy-s-ii-1110725193016.jpg

Not sure if want.

I want. I'm sick of being relegated to midrange (or low end....*cough* LG Ally, Pantech Crossover *cough*) handsets just because I want to be able to see the contents of the screen while typing.