The Android thread

That interface looks nice.

Easily the best phone I have ever owned

i spoke too soon ^_^

284534_10150350411880185_564300184_10076839_424533_n.jpg

Just sent rootrider, who will be joining us at the ringmeet in 1 week, moneys to order one of these for me:

It's an Acer Iconia Tab A500, it is super sweet and this way I'm getting it for 200 euro less than locally.

I'd be interested to know your impressions. The Windows version is bulky and external design is a bit "off," but the screen and sound are amazing. Great video device.

Last edited:
Here's a stress test, running 3.1:

Milk.png
[video=youtube;kA_-3zluhvE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kA_-3zluhvE[/video]

I wanted to see what the 'magical' stock experience was like.
Used ADW and I presume its running Sense at the same time because it was slow? Anyway, give me Sense everytime.

I've had ADW be slow for me as well. LauncherPro is where it's at.

Nexus S, no extra crappy UI. Just pure Android.

No LED either. :p

I've had a few Android devices now- HTC Desire (Froyo w/ Sense), HTC Wildfire (Froyo w/ Sense), Archos43 (Froyo), Telstra SmartTouch (Eclair) and Motorola Xoom (Honeycomb) and I really do think that Sense improves the whole experience.

Nexus S, no extra crappy UI. Just pure Android.

Adw and launcher pro are ui's themselves but they come the closest to emulating stock android.

Launcherpro was running great on my Nexus S until recently when it started FCing constantly on start-up. Once I FC it though, it runs fine...

Definitely a good "enhancement" of the stock launcher though - Same looks but much greater functionality.

I've use Launcher Pro on a couple of non-HTC devices so that I could get 7 homescreens and scrollable widgets. It works well, but ultimately, I only really need it to emulate Sense.

The only thing that's keeping me from using Launcher Pro is that the icons are spaced too far apart (I know, small issue but it bothers me nevertheless). Also, the 3D appsdrawer is not that great. I want something that will replicate stock Gingerbread, but will run smoother. Are there any alternative lauchers?

I don't really need any more than the default number of rows and columns. I think it just makes it look too busy.Plus, I think the stock look works really well for me. In other news, I was just aware than Best Buy in Canada was selling the Nexus S for $349.99 at Best Buy! Too bad they're sold out.

Launcher Pro did run smoother, but I still don't get the fuss with 'stock' android.
Occasionally you'll see a phone review and inevitably "I like the phone, I don't like touchwiz/sense/blur"
There is a no-sense rom on xda.

Speaking of Sense, i'm bored and over on XDA they have the Sensation Sense 3.0 running on it. It seems a major ballache, fucking about with the phone just to get 3.0. Downgrade/rooting/reinstall HD 2.3/backup/install 3.0 rom.

Why did they iPhonized the hell out of the Galaxy S II? I really like the hardware of my Galaxy S, it's nicer to hold than the iPhone 4 and the tapered edges look pretty cool.