The Android thread

In my opinion most of Symbian Belle's new UI elements look more like Maemo or Harmattan than anything else. For example I think pull down statusbar was pioneered by Maemo. Although those wlan etc on/off switches are copied from Samsungs Touchwiz I think.

Anyway Belle seems like a nice step forward in usability for Symbian. And good thing is that it will be available to all existing Symbian3 and Anna phones as SW update. Can't wait to install it to my C7.

Last edited:
My sister needed a cheap, PAYG phone. Her old phone shes dropped in tea, fell on the floor a thousand times etc.
Got her an Orange San Francisco/ZTE Blade for ?84.99. It wont play Angry Birds, but it plays Angry Birds Seasons at 4 FPS.
The cameras terrible, full of bloatware.

Having said that, she doesn't give a fuck about games, it has all she wants Facebook/Ebay/Twitter/Internet/GPS. They all run fine. 3.5 screen, she got the white one which has the TFT version not the OLED.
"Most have 512 ram, but locked to 256." :blink:

Verizon....seriously...you guys are on my shit list.

Why? Let's see....I pay you every goddamn month...a lot of money too. In exchange I get cell service on a range of "popular" devices. That's cool, I get it.

What I don't get is why you systematically CRIPPLE your device lineup.

Why CAN'T I get a phone with more than 512 MB of RAM that isn't the massively flawed HTC Thunderbolt? Why CAN'T I get a high end smartphone with a slide out keyboard that isn't a locked down Motorola? Or a rebadged device introduced LAST YEAR!?

Seriously with this : http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/andr...-ii-variant-wsj-says-citing-anonymous-sources

Verizon can go fuck themselves.

I have to decide between the HTC Ruby and the Samsung Hercules....

qHD + 4.3inch vs 4.5 inch is really the only difference.

Oh yeah, Sense, which I'd get rid of straightaway.

If the Ruby has the same screen as the Sensation, that alone may be enough to sway you to the Hercules.

The sensation isn't qHD, is it?

Edit: Yes, it is. I didn't realize that. The Sensation's screen is quite shit.

This may sway me to the Hercules.

I've also heard rumors of a refreshed GS2 with a 720p screen. That'd be something I'd jump on instantaneously.

Last edited:
I am liking the Nexus Prime more and more. :nod:

I'd love a NP if it came to T-mobile.

I'm not pleased that it's going to Verizon.

Did Samsung ever release Gingerbread on their older devices? How long did it take to get Froyo? That should be enough to avoid them at all costs, not to mention their litigation with Apple.

Did Samsung ever release Gingerbread on their older devices? How long did it take to get Froyo? That should be enough to avoid them at all costs, not to mention their litigation with Apple.

I agree wholeheartedly, BUT it will be a "google phone" like the Nexus S, even if it?s manufactured by Samsung.
As far as I know, the Nexus S didn?t had to wait for updates and had a very open bootloader, isn?t it?

I agree wholeheartedly, BUT it will be a "google phone" like the Nexus S, even if it?s manufactured by Samsung.
As far as I know, the Nexus S didn?t had to wait for updates and had a very open bootloader, isn?t it?

The Nexus line gets their updates directly from Google I'm assuming. All I know is that in the U.S. Samsung is very slow to update their current handsets, instead blaming the carrier. HTC seems to be able to work with the carriers to provide 'timely' updates.

Samsung didn't take all that long to update their phones considering how long other manufacturers took. It was carriers that all but stopped it from happening.

I am liking the Nexus Prime more and more. :nod:

300px-NexusPrimeflankedbyotherPrimes.jpg

Verizon....seriously...you guys are on my shit list.

Why? Let's see....I pay you every goddamn month...a lot of money too. In exchange I get cell service on a range of "popular" devices. That's cool, I get it.

What I don't get is why you systematically CRIPPLE your device lineup.

Why CAN'T I get a phone with more than 512 MB of RAM that isn't the massively flawed HTC Thunderbolt? Why CAN'T I get a high end smartphone with a slide out keyboard that isn't a locked down Motorola? Or a rebadged device introduced LAST YEAR!?

Seriously with this : http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/andr...-ii-variant-wsj-says-citing-anonymous-sources

Verizon can go fuck themselves.

It'd be pointless to release the SGSII alongside the Nexus Prime (rumored to come to big red) which is slighlty better it sounds. I know i'd rather have the Prime.

My touchscreen started acting all fucky today, probably a result of the massive humidity. I brought it to the store and a replacement is coming. Hello shiny new Droid 2 in a few days. Or if they're out it'll be a 3. the lasdy says it's a possibility because there aren't many D2G replacements out there.

Free upgrade is always nice.