The Android thread

For question one, go to settings then sound. Uncheck the silent mode box if there is one to activate the disclosure triangle next to the Volume option. Tap that triangle. From there, you can set the volume for media, ringtones, and notifications, as well as link the notification and ringtone sounds together:

A lot of apps sounds fall under the media volume slider.

I'm posting this from the phone so I'll submit it and come back to answer question two.

Question two: I honestly can't find an option...I could have swore its somewhere though. Maybe I'm remembering my Windows Phone Classic devices...all 3 of those had that option

Answer to #2: Have you looked at Settings>Screen? There should be something about keeping the screen active while charging.

It's in debugging, which iirc, is under applications setting.

EDIT: Settings > Applications > Development > Stay awake

As for the magic "mute all when in silent mode" fuction, i still can't find one. I've tried it both with the "silent mode" box checked, and unchecked and some programs still make sound even though the phone is on "silent." One weird thing, "GT Free+ HD" will play a sound during it's splash screen opening, even if I have the game's own sound turned off. I don't want to have to keep turning the sound up and down on that settings screen, even though that did actually work.

As for the screen staying on, I found an app called "StayAwake" that works really well! Does exactly what I want it to. I can glance at my phone when driving and listening to music and see what the song is, or easily skip the song without having to wake it up first. It also means that I don't have to buy a "dock" to use the "desktop dock" app while at my desk at work since the case I bought has a small kickstand!

Thanks everyon!

Stability is for squares, my tablet is still running Windows 8 and only occasionally gets the BSOD :p (which is henceforth to be dubbed the Big Screen of Depression since it now only contains a large sad face)

Yes, it actually is a giant emoticon.

Haha yeah I saw that. I do think it's nice that they've told the n00bs explicitly to plug in the error code into a internet search right on the bsod :p

In CM7, I'd recommend setting the CPU governed to interactiveX if itiant already. Its made my phone seem my h faster and actually made the battery life better. (It locks the CPU to its min clock speed when the screen is off)

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

I must say, there is a real perverse enjoyment in using newer software than just about anyone else on an HTC Hero :lol:

(have been on CyanogenMod7 for a while and now 7.1)

EDIT: one downside is that this phone really doesn't like being underclocked.... but it will still last a full day of reasonably heavy use.

Last edited:
Just downloading Navigon maps to the phone and I'm done setting it up. I LOVE the speed of the UI and animations. Also, the screen off/on animation. :blush:

My car just cost me the Nexus....damnit! The good news is, i saved up that money in advance so it can go toward the car.

Wasn't sure where this comment was meant really, but I guess it best fits under android.

I just watched the official engadget review of the iphone 4S. There are 2 videos, one detailing the hardware and sheer lack of difference in appearance between it and the iphone 4, and the second video reviewing the main functions of Siri.

He asked Siri, a windows phone running mango, and android to send a text message to 555-1212 with the following message: "Kurt Vonnegut lived in Schenectady, New York". The windows phone failed outright in trying to transcribe it, Siri took at least 2 tries if not 3 to get it, and android got it the first time!

Bahahahahaha, I love it when shit doesn't work for apple.

I have to say, Siri prompted me to go grab Google Voice Search from the market. It actually works quite well and preforms a lot of functions. It's nowhere near as entertaining as Siri, but at least it works on my ancient phone.

I asked it "who are you," and it just Google searched the phrase, but maybe it was trying to tell me something....

Wasn't sure where this comment was meant really, but I guess it best fits under android.

I just watched the official engadget review of the iphone 4S. There are 2 videos, one detailing the hardware and sheer lack of difference in appearance between it and the iphone 4, and the second video reviewing the main functions of Siri.

He asked Siri, a windows phone running mango, and android to send a text message to 555-1212 with the following message: "Kurt Vonnegut lived in Schenectady, New York". The windows phone failed outright in trying to transcribe it, Siri took at least 2 tries if not 3 to get it, and android got it the first time!

Bahahahahaha, I love it when shit doesn't work for apple.

I have to say, Siri prompted me to go grab Google Voice Search from the market. It actually works quite well and preforms a lot of functions. It's nowhere near as entertaining as Siri, but at least it works on my ancient phone.

I asked it "who are you," and it just Google searched the phrase, but maybe it was trying to tell me something....

Hehehehehe

Well, Siri IS impressive, but they?re pitching it as "Hey look, NO ONE has this before!"
Granted it is more elegant and fun that Android?s Voice Commands, but don?t act like it?s a mind-blowing breakthrough.
Same thing with "Facetime".
In fact, iMessenger is making me more angry.
Pingchat and Whatsapp anyone?

I'm with you on iMessenger, isn't it just BBM for iphones?

I'm with you on iMessenger, isn't it just BBM for iphones?

Yes. The thing is though that Apple (and well...lets be honest...RIM too) automatically wins that category by default. There's a zillion "universal SMS/CHAT" apps out there, but you never know which ones someone's on, so you often time have to run multiple...its messy as hell.

iMessage totally obliterates all that. Got an iPod, iPhone, iPad? You can communicate via iMessage. Period. No guesswork, no juggleing through seperate contact lists or trying to convince friends to use one app instead of the other.

RIM missed the boat by being dog slow internally. BBM's already running on Android devices internally and they no doubt have a iOS version somewhere if not in development.

They just couldn't execute (or perhaps was worried that releasing BBM to other platforms would kill the last advantage that the BB has for most in the consumer market) and got burned: If they released BBM for Android and iOS before Apple introduced iMessage, they would have won this game.

Samsung's new ChatOn was actually made to combat just that issue. It's cross-platform, and I think I read that it's secure like BBM and iMessenger.

Samsung's new ChatOn was actually made to combat just that issue. It's cross-platform, and I think I read that it's secure like BBM and iMessenger.

Yeah but I don't know how much traction that'll have. A sizable number of Android phone enthusiasts dislike Samsung, especially from a software perspective. Unless HTC made it, they wouldn't touch ChatOn with a 10 foot pole.

Same goes with Apple fanbois.

"Average Joe/Jane" wouldn't even know what it is or understand it "it's a BBM ripoff?" and just gravitate to iMessage and BBM out of pure inertia.

Not saying that it can't be successful but they've got a long road ahead, especially if they don't advertise the shit out of it in ways that "the common man" would see: TV, ads in Youtube, etc.

Yes. The thing is though that Apple (and well...lets be honest...RIM too) automatically wins that category by default. There's a zillion "universal SMS/CHAT" apps out there, but you never know which ones someone's on, so you often time have to run multiple...its messy as hell.

iMessage totally obliterates all that. Got an iPod, iPhone, iPad? You can communicate via iMessage. Period. No guesswork, no juggleing through seperate contact lists or trying to convince friends to use one app instead of the other.

RIM missed the boat by being dog slow internally. BBM's already running on Android devices internally and they no doubt have a iOS version somewhere if not in development.

They just couldn't execute (or perhaps was worried that releasing BBM to other platforms would kill the last advantage that the BB has for most in the consumer market) and got burned: If they released BBM for Android and iOS before Apple introduced iMessage, they would have won this game.
For me, this is a solution to a problem that didn't exist. Got an iPhone, Android, Blackberry, Windows Mobile, Symbian, dumbphone from 2001? You can communicate via SMS. It's already there, a universal, if dated, protocol that everyone supports. What we need is some effort to refine it.

For me, this is a solution to a problem that didn't exist. Got an iPhone, Android, Blackberry, Windows Mobile, Symbian, dumbphone from 2001? You can communicate via SMS. It's already there, a universal, if dated, protocol that everyone supports. What we need is some effort to refine it.
Relevant XKCD. standards.png.