The Android thread

I'd side with the raw hardware on this one, especially if ICS is coming. Even if support is dropped, the community will pull through on such a popular and powerful phone.

Agreed. I think people are spoiled too, the One V may not be the highest-specced phone on the market, but it's still pretty up there.

Agreed. I think people are spoiled too, the One V may not be the highest-specced phone on the market, but it's still pretty up there.

I think he was actually in favor of skipping the one v for the sensation.

:lol:

Yeah, so do I.

Saw an Xperia S in stores yesterday and I really, really like the design. Not too expensive at $480 unlocked.

HTC Is Done With QWERTY Keyboard Phones

... The word comes from HTC creative director Claude Zellweger speaking at a Seattle press event. ?As a company the QWERTY keyboard we?re moving away from in general.? ...

http://techcrunch.com/2012/04/20/htc-is-done-with-qwerty-keyboard-phones/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Techcrunch+%28TechCrunch%29&utm_content=Google+Reader

Well that was predictable. They might still have a model or two in the pipeline (I can see the One series having a QWERTY "business" phone), but it looks like they won't be advancing further on this path.

Could those of you with ICS and or HTC Sense 4.0 tell me about the Stock ICS and Sense 4.0 messaging apps please. Have they introduced a pop-up for incoming messages or will do you still need a third party app like Handcent to have that feature?

Could those of you with ICS and or HTC Sense 4.0 tell me about the Stock ICS and Sense 4.0 messaging apps please. Have they introduced a pop-up for incoming messages or will do you still need a third party app like Handcent to have that feature?

pop-up? yeah, sort of... if it's actually what you want that i'm thinking of now. in the lockscreen you get a preview of the message including picture for sender and the contents.

edit: like this
sense4sms.png

Last edited:
Android has always had built in notifications in the notification bar. Why would you want anything else?

Android has always had built in notifications in the notification bar. Why would you want anything else?

well in that case i could understand it'd be rather nice to be able to read the whole message without actually having to unlock, pull down the notification bar, yadda yadda. but yeah, i don't really care that much.

With ICS you can pull down the notification without unlocking. Also, with something like WidgetLocker, you can put an sms widget on your lock screen and see and reply from there.

And Sense 4.0 has that built in, as eizbear has shown. Stock ICS's lockscreen doesn't, though, you need widget locker.

With ICS you can pull down the notification without unlocking. Also, with something like WidgetLocker, you can put an sms widget on your lock screen and see and reply from there.

well yeah, but you'd still have to go through all that stuff. besides, his question was whether ICS / sense4 came with that, without the need for additional apps / widgets :|

Because Handcent (and others) bring up a pop-up window that lets you read the message and send a reply without having to unlock the phone and pull down the notification tray, which is a pain in the arse.

pop-up? yeah, sort of... if it's actually what you want that i'm thinking of now. in the lockscreen you get a preview of the message including picture for sender and the contents.

sense4sms.png

Can you read the whole message and reply from there?

Thanks, but if I'd have to install an app (like widgetlocker) to do it, I'd rather just install Handcent and get all the graphics customisation that comes with it.

sense4sms.png

It should be noted that this is a Sense 4 feature. Stock messaging app continues to use only sound/notification shade/vibration notifications.

Ah, okay. thanks. That might be enough for me to revert to stock when my Sensation is upgraded.

I would miss the ability to make every contact's thread look different though.

I don't see the problem with continuing to use Handcent, Android is very good about using third party applications as default and you seem to like the customization features :dunno: