The Android thread

Google have said that they patent lots of ideas and not everything gets made, but this patent had Andy Rubin's name on it and was rushed through the process much more quickly than usual.

Anything particularly notable about how the slider works that warranted a new patent? Or is this another of those "design patents" for the styling?

It listed three different possible slider mechanisms that all provided a lot less overlap when open, which allows for more keyboard space.

nexus_1.jpg

Last edited:
It listed three different possible slider mechanisms that all provided a lot less overlap when open, which allows for more keyboard space.

View attachment 6682

Oh hell, that's for one of their pointless Chromebooks. Dammit. :(

I just had a chance to play with the HTC One X and my goodness it was a real eye-turner. I've read the reviews, but I didn't realize how good the screen actually was until I saw it. In fact, I even thought it was a static display model because of the auto brightness. It is literally leaps and bounds ahead of anything that is currently on the market now. The phone felt very solid and the size was certainly manageable. With this and the $399 Galaxy Nexus, it really is a very difficult choice. Does the One X come in any colors other than white?

I just had a chance to play with the HTC One X and my goodness it was a real eye-turner. I've read the reviews, but I didn't realize how good the screen actually was until I saw it. In fact, I even thought it was a static display model because of the auto brightness. It is literally leaps and bounds ahead of anything that is currently on the market now. The phone felt very solid and the size was certainly manageable. With this and the $399 Galaxy Nexus, it really is a very difficult choice. Does the One X come in any colors other than white?

I thought you can get it in black in select markets...

Why do you say that?

That's wayyy too many keys for a phone, but just enough for a laptop. I know it's simply a design concept but i dont get my hopes up...i've been disappointed by keyboard phone promises that never were fulfilled properly in the past. :(

The One X does come in a dark grey for AT&T, and I think Canadia has the same option.

I can't imagine a keyboard layout like that on anything smaller than 7". That said, I'd love it if I could get a super slim keyboard case for me Kindle, neverminding the fact that it has no bluetooth and a wired connection would just be silly.

Well, turns out I can get a 50%ish discount in a Galaxy Nexus keeping my current plan.

Then again, I think I?ll wait for the Galaxy SIII or buy a tablet first...

Whoa!

What kind of sorcery is that?

I am torn between the xperia s and One X....

This nifty little universal car holder just popped on AC:

I have one just like that, except it has two small arms on the bottom as supports, but they really aren't needed (good for peace of mind IMO). The problem is the way my suction disc is mounted and dashboard is shaped, I can't pull the lever to seal it (disc was there when I got the car, not my ideal location). Looks like that one should work though. Or I could just move my disc....

I'm getting a 8 gig card tomorrow for my phone. I think I can copy all the stuff from my old card to the new one and every app installed on the card should still work?