The Android thread

hmm... how the hell does that work? Every display tech I've seen so far needs a rectangle matrix... :S

I wouldn't hold my breath. There's still no such thing as a round display.

There's a round display in the video edkwon posted.

Finally, rounded faces, glad I waited till the second generation of smartwatches, nothing against the Pebble, but it's supposed to look like a watch and then be smart, like that G?bor Balogh concept.

/Will definitely buy one iteration of whatever comes out on top

:nod:

You watch the whole thing but if you skip to around 9.40 you can see the guy swiping around the watch.

So yeah, Motorola has mastered magic :p

lol battery life

hmm... how the hell does that work? Every display tech I've seen so far needs a rectangle matrix... :S

just a thought: somehow 'fold back' the corners... then do it again... and again... until you're close enough to the circle that you can hide any remaining corners behind the bezel :dunno: after that, it's just software not doing anything with those areas.

just a thought: somehow 'fold back' the corners... then do it again... and again... until you're close enough to the circle that you can hide any remaining corners behind the bezel :dunno: after that, it's just software not doing anything with those areas.

Nothing as complicated as that I don't think. I don't see a good reason why it has to be square. Its not going to be a true circle if you zoom in and look at the edge, but its completely feasible to have the rows of LED's be shorter at the top of a circle then the ones in the wider part.

A quick google search for "Circular LCD screen" popped up a bunch results of companies developing round screens...here is one about Toshiba doing so in 2007...

http://spectrum.ieee.org/computing/hardware/circular-lcd-debuts

lcd02.jpg

The biggest barrier I have with these kind of items are the price. Its cool and all, but until it gets under $100 I don't think I'd go for one. The $300+ price tag that most of these have are just silly when you can buy a full size phone or tablet for a lot less. I realize its new technology and miniaturizing components gets expensive, but those items at the price are purely a boutique item IMHO.

That said, bring the price down and I'd think about it. I'd also consider a small handheld device that could go in a pocket that connects to a tablet or phablet and acts as the "phone" part so i don't feel like as much of a dork holding a big ass phone to my head. I love having it for everything else, but its not the greatest to use as a phone honestly.

Last edited:
That said, bring the price down and I'd think about it. I'd also consider a small handheld device that could go in a pocket that connects to a tablet or phablet and acts as the "phone" part so i don't feel like as much of a dork holding a big ass phone to my head. I love having it for everything else, but its not the greatest to use as a phone honestly.

Those exist already. I know HTC has the Mini+, dunno about anyone else.

if a phone hardly lasts a day on one charge, how long will those watches last? it can only pack 1/4 battery-size!

The screen is also then tiny, doesn't have to drive as many apps or as heavy an OS. Anything more than a day is fine with me, most of us charge phones everyday, one more device is no big deal

The Pebble lasts a week, the first Galaxy Gear hardly lasts a day and they say the new Galaxy Gears should last 3 to 4 days.

I'm guessing the Google Wear things will be around 3-4 days as well.

You have to consider the display technologies. The Pebble is e-ink which doesn't use that much power. From the looks the Google Wear devices would be LCD so the battery life is anybodys guess.

lol battery life

How, why, what?
Either you never ever use your phone or that is massively wrong?

if a phone hardly lasts a day on one charge, how long will those watches last? it can only pack 1/4 battery-size!

E-ink lasts for massive amounts of time (like the pebble watch). I'd actually prefer it to LCD, even if that means only black and white. I just don't like charging up everything I own, and I do like the pebble's low price point...

I'd still do most stuff on the phone/tablet anyway, so I don't need a colour screen...

I would also prefer a high quality, high resolution e-ink over LCD, especially if they can get something with a high refresh rate.