The Android thread

Yes, of course. Your ISP informs your phone what IP to connect to download the OTA, doesn't matter what connection you use to do it.

Sure but I read that as if they roll out it first in the Netherlands, hence I considered whether I would be able to download from abroad.

They're rolling out to Dutch operators first, not phones physically in the Netherlands. :p The OTA needs to go through your operator first so they can add garbage/remove goodies.

They're rolling out to Dutch operators first, not phones physically in the Netherlands. :p The OTA needs to go through your operator first so they can add garbage/remove goodies.

This is one thing I like about WP7- Microsoft will push updates directly without carrier input/meddling.

Ummm ... so I have given the ADW Launcher and LauncherPro a run to see whether they are better than my TouchWiz. However, so far I'm not impressed. They both run choppier than TouchWiz in terms of scrolling and opening/closing windows, and when it comes to functions, I haven't found anything I would need them for yet. They have different good ideas implemented, but the one that clearly says "you need me" I haven't found yet.

http://robsbay.co.uk/

Good way to track the progress on porting android to the HD2, which is almost ready by the looks of things

"The Android 2.2 (FroYo) update for HTC Desire will start rolling out across Europe this weekend. As well as including the complete set of Android 2.2 features, the update will contain a few special additions of our own through the latest iteration of HTC Sense. The update will provide 720p video capture, HTC's App Share widget, as well as our enhanced HTC Caller ID, and improved multi-language keyboard. Also, though the update, HTC Sync will allow HTC Desire users to sync their music with iTunes.
HTC Desire users will be notified that the over-the-air update is available to download when their phone automatically checks for software updates. The update won't delete any of the phone's content. However, due to the size of the update, we would advise using a WiFi connection to download it wherever possible to avoid additional data charges.
This update will initially roll-out to unlocked HTC Desire handsets. Operator specific versions of the update are undergoing testing and we expect to make them available in several weeks' time."

Good times!

So at least for me, 2.1 solved the Moment's problem of a dismal battery life. :dance:

The President of HTC Nordic says 2.1 for the Desire will be rolling out tomorrow in Europe :)
Sauce: http://www.mobilsiden.dk/?aId=12174 (In Danish)

that looks like 2 seperate phones, is there 2 models of it?

It will be the T1 (The one on the right) :)

Lumigon Mobile Phones Now finally our release date is set to 2010-2010-2010 meaning the 20 of october in the year 2010 at 20.10. Our updated website will open for preorders on 20 of september.

We will also post more detailed information on the the T1 which is the first phone we will release, later this week.
Sauce: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Lumigon-Mobile-Phones/98980202753?v=wall

Last edited:
Oh, man, root is so nice. I just removed a bunch of uninstallable apps that I wasn't using, like bilebook, footprints, friendstream, stocks and htc's twitter client (I prefer the official one).

I'm glad the Droid doesn't get burdened with lots of random crap from Motorola.

There's more than you might think.

Anyway, just ran a few benchmarks, javascript and pure cpu benchmarks put it about 2x as fast as the iPhone 4. There's no other comparable ones, though. At least yet.

Froyo has been rooted already? Wow that was fast.

Anyone planning on getting Droid 2 when it (presumably) comes out this month?

Well, there's a catch. You have to root before you have FroYo installed, because official 2.2 phones haven't been yet. Once you're on 2.1 root, you can install a rooted rom. If you install the OTA, you're fucked. :S