The Android thread

You can't brick if you're just doing a root. Which phone are you using?

It's not without risk, worst case scenario is usually being forced to factory reset.

Meanwhile over in Galaxy Note 3 land, I'd really like repurpose the pen button to something that's not laughably useless but custom ROMs are hard to come by for the oddball Sprint version.

He's got an Acer Liquid Z3, my previous phone. Highly unlikely to go to 5.0 imho.

He's got an Acer Liquid Z3, my previous phone. Highly unlikely to go to 5.0 imho.

Correct. The root itself doesnt scare me, it's the upgrade to a new version(latest virgin 4.4 would be fine if 5 is impossible) that does...

Can anyone here recommend a good wireless charger? Thinking of getting one for my g3.

I'm in need of an app that does the following:

• Create different usage profiles (let's say: "standard", "work", "home", "in car");
  • trigger different preference sets depending on which profile is active;
  • manually switching the active profile with as little hassle as possible;
  • preference sets must include: toggle GPS, Bluetooth, WiFi, ring/silent/vibration, and most importantly: screen lock;
  • toggling screen lock is vital because for in-car mode, the phone absolutely must not lock itself (but the screen should turn off), while in other modes of course it should;
  • no root needed.
The app Tasker seems to be very powerful, but has a heavy focus on automation. I don't need that. I just want to switch between different profiles like I was able to do with the "profile" feature of CM 10.0 on my previous phone.

Other profile apps I was able to find don't mention the must have "alter screen lock setting" feature neither, so now I'm asking you. Which app can do what I need?#

Alternatively: Tell me how to do just that on a Moto G2...

Last edited:
^ IFTTT - Though you may have to do a bit of work creating the recipes

Update: The phone does in fact disable screen lock automatically as long as it's connected to a known Bluetooth device - like the hands-free unit in the car. So that is that problem sorted, but it still leaves the profile thing (I don't want to switch WiFi, Bluetooth, and silent mode separately, a "one button for all" would be much more practical).

• Create different usage profiles (let's say: "standard", "work", "home", "in car");
  • preference sets must include: toggle GPS, Bluetooth, WiFi, ring/silent/vibration, and most importantly: screen lock;
  • toggling screen lock is vital because for in-car mode, the phone absolutely must not lock itself (but the screen should turn off), while in other modes of course it should;
  • no root needed.
The app Tasker seems to be very powerful, but has a heavy focus on automation. I don't need that. I just want to switch between different profiles like I was able to do with the "profile" feature of CM 10.0 on my previous phone.

Other profile apps I was able to find don't mention the must have "alter screen lock setting" feature neither, so now I'm asking you. Which app can do what I need?#

with tasker you can add a widget to your screen that toggles the profiles, or have one widget for each profile...
and indeed, you can have tasker swithc profiles based on your location (home, work, anywhere else) and time of day

Man, i really want the Nexus 6!

I have the money, but i can't find a reason to justify the purchase. :(

Also, is it normal that apps open slower since lolipop? Or is it because i turned on FDE?

Man, i really want the Nexus 6!

I have the money, but i can't find a place selling it. :(

My version of that first-world problem. :p

Yeah, the updates have apparently helped a lot, especially with battery life. Only a few people have gone back and re reviewed it since launch.

I watched a few videos and the battery life doesn't bother me, you don't sleep wearing a watch anyway. However, I am definitely going to sell it when it arrives for a few reasons.

It's 1st generation.
Rumours of the 2nd gen in a couple of months.
It'll be worth ?50 this time next year.
I wouldn't spend ?200 on a normal watch, nevermind one which is obsolete in 2 years.

It looks cool, but I think I like the idea of it more than the product itself.

Regarding the phone, the first 500 people to order are getting the watch. The day after I ordered mine, there were no more watches and they took 4G out of the price plan. So I ordered at the right time. The only niggle is, guess which city doesn't have 4G yet? <_<

• no root needed.

Tasker is the right choice. The core functionality allows to do everything you want, pretty much exactly as you want it: you create profiles, assign switching conditions (automatic or manual), and configure various actions that are executed on entering and exiting profiles (such as switching wireless modules, screen lock, other settings). Automation is a possibility, being a core feature; and it can save you a lot of manual profile switching - e.g. enabling the Car profile once the device is connected to the car bluetooth or cradle, switching to Home or Work once the corresponding WiFi is detected or connected or based on current location/time of day, etc.

I will give Tasker a try this evening.

But you lot seem to misunderstand something: Automation is not an option because that depends on inputs from the very modules (Bluetooth/WiFi) I want to switch off/on....

But you lot seem to misunderstand something: Automation is not an option because that depends on inputs from the very modules (Bluetooth/WiFi) I want to switch off/on....

Over many years that I've been using Android, I've come to a realization: switching WiFi and BT off is more of a hassle than it's worth. It doesn't save any significant amount of battery, since both modules use nearly nothing while in standby. And leaving them enabled allows for said automation, which makes other aspects of life with the device much nicer :)

Over many years that I've been using Android, I've come to a realization: switching WiFi and BT off is more of a hassle than it's worth. It doesn't save any significant amount of battery, since both modules use nearly nothing while in standby. And leaving them enabled allows for said automation, which makes other aspects of life with the device much nicer :)

i agree on BT. if it isn't connected it hardly consumes any battery at all
not so for wifi though. if you have strong connection, OK. but if you're somewhere (like at a bar) and 2 houses next to it they have a hardly reachable hotspot, your phone will keep trying to connect, and drain the battery way too fast...