The Android thread

But like I said, it has some issues. I honestly believe you are better off waiting for the final, official OTA.

Edit: my 3G speed issues may be related to my location. I'm in Phoenix right now and my speeds returned to normal. There are still some bugs that need to be fixed though.

Last edited:
So I've been doing some half-assed 1st hand research on the battery duration of my Galaxy S. Turns out the differences are enormous. When sitting on my desk with the screen off (so basically when I put it away), it uses about 1.75% of the battery per hour. That equals a possible standby time of more than 57 hours.

When the screen is on (auto-brightness) but all connections are cut (airplane mode), it uses 15% of the battery per hour. When I have the screen on auto brightness and surf the Internet via wifi however, it uses 30% of battery capacity per hour, so I'd run bone dry after 3h 20m when fully charged beforehand.

The main power consumers seem to be the display and the cpu, about the wifi I'm not so sure. Some say it uses less power than 3G when the wifi connection is good.

Last edited:
My screen demolishes my battery.

Same here, mine is always above 50% of the battery usage figures. Although right now it's at 45 due to the browser.

I forgot to bring the car charger with me, and using the "navigate" feature is so far the fastest thing I have found to suck the battery dry. Probably because it uses the screen on all the time, and the GPS, and a 3g connection. I think my battery went from 60% to 20% in like 20 minutes of use.

So far, I've been fairly impressed with the Captivate battery usage wise (and in most other ways too). I watched almost 3 hours worth of video on my plane ride the other day and it never went bellow 60% starting from 80% or so. Even fairly consistent internet and email use, it still seems to be fine with doing 2 days without a charge if I have to. I keep it in "auto brightness" and that seems to help. For me, it definitely uses less battery if it can do wifi instead of 3g for data.

If you guys installed facebook recently, you may want to check again for updates. It had a issue where it was draining the battery at a rapid pace.

But in general, the screen is the most battery hogging part of any device.

Downloading the 8/10 nightly for CM6RC. It looks as if it's going to be pretty awesome. I should probably check my bandwidth usage, I've been downloading a 68MB file almost every day for the past week and a half, and will likely continue to do so at least until an official stable version is released.

smib: I use "3G Data Usage Beta". Puts up a counter in the notification drawer.

Downloading now.

Downloading the 8/10 nightly for CM6RC. It looks as if it's going to be pretty awesome. I should probably check my bandwidth usage, I've been downloading a 68MB file almost every day for the past week and a half, and will likely continue to do so at least until an official stable version is released.

68 MB x 31 days in a month = 2 GB. I believe the common limit for an unlimited plan is 5 GB?

Ignore the oxymoron in that sentence.

Sorry, but you people don't have experience with anything else but touchwiz. Yes, a Galaxy S has the power to run it, but that's a solution to a problem that shouldn't have existed in the first place. Go into the market, download launcher pro, set it up for 3D drawer, etc... , then go into manage applications and force close touchwiz so only Launcher Pro is actually running. Then you'll see what speed really is. Launcher Pro is the aftermarket solution that gets closest to a native 2.2 experience.

Just trust me, I've been fanboying Android long enough to know what I'm talking about. ;)

Yeah I couldn't agree more (and yes, I trust Ice as a long time fandroid ;) ). I was so disappointed in not only the look of Touchwiz (it just doesn't look that great IMO but thats purely subjective), it also ran much slower than my friend's Desire with sense. I'm not sure if I would prefer to have the the 4.0" or 3.7" screen, but the Galaxy S is pretty much as big as I would like a phone to be. I still wish they made an Legend-esque unibody Android device with Froyo w/Sense and a 3.7" - 4.0" screen.

motorola-droid-2-official.jpg

Droid 2. And there's an R2-D2 edition.

I got bored and now my Droid is running 2.2.

It's rather zippy. Better impressions after a week methinks?

I don't want to look like a diehard fanboy. But with all these kind of convenient customization you can do to the home screen, plus all those incredible widgets ... why buy iphone ?

I don't want to look like a diehard fanboy. But with all these kind of convenient customization you can do to the home screen, plus all those incredible widgets ... why buy iphone ?

To be honest, both platforms have their pros and cons (and that's me being captain obvious) so there isn't a best OS per se.
I am used to Linux so I am comfortable with Android and the way it works, but some people just prefer the iPhone for being sometimes easier or just more popular.

r2d2-droid2-itw-2.jpg

WANT

OH GOD THATS SO AWESOME