The Android thread

Ever since the 6.0 update, I haven't found a combination of settings that just lets my phone lock when the screen goes dark, and then let's me easily unlock it with my thumbprint.

This used to work fine. It seems like my only option is NO security, though, because now when I tell it to use "fingerprint", it still asks for a pin almost 90% of the time because of "security policy"...and not because it can't read my print, it does it no matter what. Because I can't be expected to type in a pin any time I'm in my car and need to unlock the screen, I'm left unprotected without downloading some third party utility.

What am I missing? This can't be how it's supposed to work, right?

Do you use Nova launcher or tasker?

"If you have a third party app installed that asks for, and you give it accessibility access, you have to have both Fingerprint and Pin.
Tasker and Nova Launcher are two examples."

Apparently...

Anyone have an S7 Edge here?

I have this weird issue where, when on vibrate or silent, and headphones connected there is no ringtone when a call comes in, this is odd because usually when I listen to spotify and a call comes in on the htc the ringtone plays through the headphone. It's annoying because when the phone is in my pocket I never know am I gettingn a call or did spotify just lose 4g/3g for a moment....

Even more annoying, if I put it on Sound and connect the headphones it will now play the ringtone through the headphones but ALSO uses the speaker which makes no sense to me.

Trying to decide between the Galaxy S7 or HTC 10.....seems both are rather good phones this year. I wish the normal S7 had the edges bigger battery though; im not sold on the curved display of the edge.

Got my Z5 Premium today, despite ordering from a HK-based cheap shop it was indeed an actual phone and not a chunk of cheese with Sony carved in it. I bought it because the M8 is dog slow now (thanks HTC), I'm a sucker for fancy tech and the numbers worked out to make buying it sim-free now the same price as waiting for an upgrade from O2. After having 4 HTCs I had to move on, I looked at the 10 but the price and the fact that 'ultrapixel' was mentioned put me right off.

Switching to 'vanilla' Android isn't the nightmare I have been expecting for the last 5 years and having the fingerprint sensor is bliss. I'm all for security but typing that code in every single time I wanted to unlock the phone was driving me mad. the UHD screen is yet to be used to it's full potential but I'm more interested in the pixel density, looking forward to the VR possibilities.

What's the general position on Huawei, mainly on the new P9?

The only experiance I have with them was my wife's first smartphone 4 years ago, which was pretty crap, my mothers newer cheap one which was even more crap! :D
I've seen a couple of their new models, the 'better' ones, they look nice, so was wondering did they improve or what. Don't they make the current nexus?

I bought it because the M8 is dog slow now (thanks HTC),

install cyanogenmod, and it'll probably be at full speed again!

. I'm all for security but typing that code in every single time I wanted to unlock the phone was driving me mad.

tasker FTW!
passcode is only activated when i'm not connected to a trusted wifi or my car's bluetooth...

The only experiance I have with them was my wife's first smartphone 4 years ago, which was pretty crap, my mothers newer cheap one which was even more crap! :D
I've seen a couple of their new models, the 'better' ones, they look nice, so was wondering did they improve or what. Don't they make the current nexus?

I have a Huawei MediaPad X2 as a tablet and secondary phone (it holds my private SIM, as opposed to the company SIM in the iPhone). Quite happy with it - the hardware is nice, it's fast, battery runtime is very decent, and it generally does all I require of it.

My Z3c is in service for the 4th time and I'm considering to replace it, and the P9 is really tempting for me. I played a bit with it in a store and I really like it: looks and feels premium, really fast fingerprint sensor, camera is interesting with the separate B&W sensor and with nice manual controls.

My Z3c is in service for the 4th time and I'm considering to replace it, and the P9 is really tempting for me. I played a bit with it in a store and I really like it: looks and feels premium, really fast fingerprint sensor, camera is interesting with the separate B&W sensor and with nice manual controls.

What was wrong with your Z?
A colleague had her screen start to peel off and the usb slot cover doesn't hold, the rubber peeled off. Mine is still *knocks on wood* fine on all accounts, and It's the first time I don't have any problems with a phone and am satisfied. :D

I replaced my Z3 as the screen actually started looking bad around the button on the right side, like the button affected the screen somehow.

I got a LG G4 now, and i'm happy with it... so used to doubletapping the screen instead of using a button to wake it up now, i keep doubletappign the screen on my Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 to try unlocking it XD

What was wrong with your Z?
A colleague had her screen start to peel off and the usb slot cover doesn't hold, the rubber peeled off. Mine is still *knocks on wood* fine on all accounts, and It's the first time I don't have any problems with a phone and am satisfied. :D

This is my 4th or 5th Sony phone and the first one I had any issue with.
Posted this in Random Thoughts:
I just sent my Z3 Compact for the 4th time for a warranty claim in the last six months, the phone is one year old now:
- first time screen started to detach on the top side, screen replaced with a new one
- second time, just after the first repair as the new screen was not positioned correctly(the notifications led was only partially visible)
- third time, same as first time
- the ear speaker suddenly became barely audible at max volume(tried factory reset and stuff, seems like a hardware issue)

Also, the left(top) speaker was noticeably quiter than the right(bottom) speaker(Tested via the Sony's Service Menu)

Last edited:
My LG G3 started the dreaded "screen flickers and fades to black" issue yesterday.

Rebooting, removing the sim card, switching batteries, nothing worked. This morning, at first the problem was still there, but for a while now it didn't reappear (but I have only used the phone with the screen ON for a few seconds at a time).

I have a feeling a new phone is in my near future. Is it a coincidence the OnePlus 3 was released on the same day the issue appearred :think: ?