The Android thread

Tasker?

I don't think I can install downloaded .apks on my Priv to grab the trial

Don't you have the setting "Security - Allow installation from unknown sources"? Should not require root.

Don't you have the setting "Security - Allow installation from unknown sources"? Should not require root.

Oh no, that setting doesn't require root, it's just the BB security thingy that keeps shouting about it. I was wondering if the wiki link describing root required for setting up that task was accurate.

I just checked, and can activate it without root

Last edited:
and there is so much you can do with it!
profiles currently active on my phone
* get sunrise/sunset for each day
* no screenlock when connected to a trusted wifi
* no screenlock when connected to my cars bluetooth
* no wifi when connected to the cars bluetooth. if sunrise < current time < sunset, display brightness = maximum, if not brightness = minimum
* when connection to the cars bluetooth is broken, log coordinates (so i can find my car back)
* disable everything when battery < 30%
* no notifications when i'm asleep
* when wifi is connected to public hotspot, and trusted wifi is in range, change connection!

and then i ran out of ideas for new profiles, anyone else got an interesting one?

Interesting, but why would I care so much about sunrise/sunset? If you set screen brightness to auto, doesn't adapt automagically for when you're inside, in a brightly lit area?

Interesting, but why would I care so much about sunrise/sunset? If you set screen brightness to auto, doesn't adapt automagically for when you're inside, in a brightly lit area?

you would think, but the auto brightness never goes full lit up or full dark, it hoovers between 25% and 75%
if the sun is shining on your screen, 75% isn't enough
and when it's dark out, with no roadlightning, even 25% is too bright

there is another one which i haven't managed to make yet (but haven't looked into it enough)
situation:
* car GPS is running
* coyote is running on the phone
* phone is streaming mp3 over bluetooth

i can see nowhere what song is playing, the field where it normally is shown on the cardisplay, now holds the next roadname
so i want a hoovering textbox on my phone with the current track/artist/album etc

Last edited:
you would think, but the auto brightness never goes full lit up or full dark, it hoovers between 25% and 75%

In my case at least, I've found a sweet spot at around 20% with auto brightness. That's the brightest setting that will still go minimum brightness in absolute darkness, and gives readable results in sunlight. I only increase that if I actually want to do stuff in sunlight that requires more detail, e.g. judging photos.

Also, many things on your previous list can already happen without tasker :D smart lock, do not disturb rules, power saver settings, etc.
Instead of sunrise/sunset I'd like more than a simple slider for brightness - ideally you'd be able to drag around the brightness response curve relative to the light sensor. In summer, sunrise/sunset is way too broad... in winter, sunrise/sunset hardly matters because interior lights.

In summer, sunrise/sunset is way too broad... in winter, sunrise/sunset hardly matters because interior lights.

way ahead of you, during summer i substract an hour off the sunset time :D

and i know most things are already included in android, but then you get a notification for every action
you have to search where it's hidden if you want to change something, ... i prefer one central app where everything is managed ;)
and i payed for it, i want to get the most out of it!

Last edited:
there is another one which i haven't managed to make yet (but haven't looked into it enough)
situation:
* car GPS is running
* coyote is running on the phone
* phone is streaming mp3 over bluetooth

i can see nowhere what song is playing, the field where it normally is shown on the cardisplay, now holds the next roadname
so i want a hoovering textbox on my phone with the current track/artist/album etc

nailed it!

was harder than expected...but then again not
i couldn't find a way to get the metadata out of mediamonkey, so i ended up creating an 'intent received' (whatever that is) on the simple last.fm scrobbler
and now the track info is shown in a textbox for 30secs...

(basically, i did what this guy tells you to do: https://www.reddit.com/r/tasker/comments/25j2ob/how_toan_easy_way_of_getting_song_info_into_tasker/)

On a particular website (they don't have a mobile version), when I click a link to upload a photo, the pop up on my phone doesn't give me a "gallery" option...only camera, voice recorder, my files, etc.

Is this an issue with my phone/its specific OS, or is it something on the website's side?

Using Samsung Note 5, and "Internet" and Chrome.

Yes, in know how to browse for the pics in the various file folders, but it would be much easier with a Gallery option.

Last edited: