The Android thread

I've been an owner of the HTC 10 for a total of 3 days and see absolutely no reason to upgrade, especially since these two (apart from a slight upgrade to the CPU) are basically the 10.

Technically this is my third Nexus 6, but apart from the software update issues it's been amazing. Usually after 2 years a phone gets sluggish and slow, this just handles everything.

I love my Note 5 except for two quirks.

1: I continually get re-notified of "new" emails, sometimes from months ago that have been long-deleted. 10 seconds after I clear my notifications, i'll get a new one for 3 new emails...and none of them are new. edit: I've tried about 3-4 different methods I found online, and no luck.

2: The voicemail app that I have on my S7 on Verizon is not on my T-Mobile Note...it doesn't seem like T-Mobile has a voicemail app, so I have to call in to it, and there's no software "voicemail manager" unless you pay for the "Visual Voicemail" service, from what I can tell. edit: Maybe I'm just an idiot who got used to iOS for too long...this is Android! Of course there's probably 48 voicemail apps I could download and integrate seamlessly into my daily use patterns.

Last edited:
If the rumored price of $650USD for the 5in 32Gb Pixel is anywhere near true, I won't be buying one.

That.. yeah, that's a lot.

1: I continually get re-notified of "new" emails, sometimes from months ago that have been long-deleted. 10 seconds after I clear my notifications, i'll get a new one for 3 new emails...and none of them are new. edit: I've tried about 3-4 different methods I found online, and no luck.

My sony z3 behaves somewhat similarly. This morning I got a notification for a few hangouts messages from yesterday. And sometimes I think the phone might be developing parkinsons - it sometimes vibrates without any reason. Had that on sunday, it vibrated twice in an hour or so and when I instantly checked the phone afterwards, there was nothing going on :dunno: Bit weird, but I dont really care...

Just seen the vr attachment. :/

Fuck me, ?720-820 that's insane.

Car phone warehouse have a Vodafone for ?179, then ?42 a month for unlimited text and calls and 6gb.
Interested to see vodafones actual pricing, last time I avoided upfront phone costs and I got the Moto 360 for free and sold for about ?150. :mrgreen:

we shall see

Last edited:
I'm meh toward this. The charging stuff is awesome but Google's talked a big game before when it comes to cameras, only to leave people disappointed.

Well, this time they got DXOmark to review it and it scored higher than any mobile camera on the market.

I dont get Goog's idea in all this, did they think theyre gonna steal the limelight from samsung or apple? they wont, did they think theyd make up for low sales with high cost? not really, so why not do what OnePlus has been doing from day one and keep selling them at a lower pricepoint that they know will appeal, while offering uniqe google services, your nexus/pixel perks are not a damn selling point, just a plus...

I dont get Goog's idea in all this, did they think theyre gonna steal the limelight from samsung or apple? they wont, did they think theyd make up for low sales with high cost? not really, so why not do what OnePlus has been doing from day one and keep selling them at a lower pricepoint that they know will appeal, while offering uniqe google services, your nexus/pixel perks are not a damn selling point, just a plus...

They want in with a carrier. For better or worse (because they're evil son's of bitches who know they have you over a barrel because they have the best coverage period), Verizon (who they are launching with) is the number one carrier in terms of subscriber count in the US.

If you are able to court them through a exclusive, you get their advertising and marketing muscle on top of whatever Google puts out on their own, (a lot of phone ads here are run by the carriers, but with dual branding for the phone maker as well) along with store reps that'll actually be incentivized to sell the damn phone instead of steer people to one of the competition.

Most people here buy phones through carrier stores with installment plans. Buying from anyone other than the carrier (save for Apple, because Apple) is seen as a bizarre choice esp. when you usually don't have access to the carrier installment plans.

Yes, Google is a global company but it's obvious that they're trying to focus on boosting sales in US. The best way to do that is to embrace the carrier system (as terrible as it is - see the disaster that was the carrier store experience replacing the Galaxy Note 7) and pray they don't fuck you over later.

Will Verizon fuck them over? It's been done before (delayed to nonexistent Galaxy Nexus updates, not allowing the Nexus 7 LTE on the network, etc.) but VZW insists that this time is different.

We. Shall. See.

Last edited:
Well, it seems i am in a pickle.

I need a new phone, but don't know which one to buy.

The wait time for the 1+3 is 5 weeks.
The HTC 10 uses a snapdragon 820.
And the pixel is fucking expensive.

And samsung is not an option, because i value my ears and thighs.

It's not when you consider what it is. A flagship device not just on paper, but build quality and components as well.

It's still a lot. Flagship or not, I really doubt it will bring a revolution as it's clearly stated by the guy who says "in 10 years, we'll remember the launch date". For it to be a revolution I'd expect flagship quality for half the price, or for it to break out of the planned obsolescence business model . Just another phone then.

Not as much as you'd think, though. Only about 7%. You can achieve a much more noticeable difference with just optimizing software (lolsamsung).

Not as much as you'd think, though. Only about 7%. You can achieve a much more noticeable difference with just optimizing software (lolsamsung).

The S7 820 variant seems to be on par with most other 820 phones but you are right sometimes somewhat worse. HOWEVER personally I use the s7 (edge) Exynos variant which is better in all battery life tests compared to most 820 phones with a smilar size battery. So is regular exynos s7.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Gala...-to-Snapdragon-flavor-heres-the-proof_id82900

Also it is much better than its predecessor the S6.

http://www.knowyourmobile.com/mobil...axy-s7-battery-life-performance-surpasses-all

The software itself is also much smoother now and cleaner + very stable compared to past versions.