The Android thread

Oh, sorry. I thought it was obvious that a device designed around Windows Mobile wouldn't run Android exactly as perfectly as a device designed from the ground up with Android in mind. That's a given for sure.

But honestly, aside from 720p capture (which phones like the N1 and Droid2 don't even have) and having to run Android off SD for now (which is actually an advantage if you're looking to dual-boot) it's all fine. There's lots of noobs on XDA struggling with it, but phone calls and WiFi and all that jazz works as well as it ever did in WM.

Heck, I keep reading about how phones like the Hero cannot access many of the apps in the Market due to the screen resolution issues. Would I be wrong in feeling holier than thou for having a WM phone that can run every single app in the Market currently when a whole bunch of Android devices from the same era cannot?

Just like you hacked your WM phone to run Android, a user can hack the Hero's market to gain access to all apps. Also N1 has 720p.

I'm not saying that you running Android on WM is a bad thing, far from it, it's amazing how it works as well as it does, just don't go around bashing stock Android phone users, cause their providers don't feel like giving them Froyo yet.

...just don't go around bashing stock Android phone users, cause their providers don't feel like giving them Froyo yet.

Wait, so this is all about hurt feelings? :think:

I thought we were actually discussing the merits of a device like the HD2 running Android. Silly me.

I wasn't bashing anyone personally, grow up and stop looking for arguments that don't need to be had.

Last edited:
Hey, I got my OTA as soon as it was pushed out. ;) Just looking out for my peeps here. ;)

Just looking out for my peeps here. ;)

That's noble of you, but totally unnecessary in this case.

I wasn't bashing anyone. As you say the HD2 isn't perfect at running Android yet and that's precisely why I made the comment about not having to wait for updates... just making myself feel better for those one or two features I know I don't have. I miss out on this and that but I imagine waiting for an update you know is forthcoming is pretty grueling, especially since Android updates do more than fix bugs and actually bring new features.

Edit: Moving on, does anyone know why the package manager in Droid Explorer won't load for me? I want to uninstall a few apps but nothing happens when I click on the package manager.

Last edited:
What's wrong with uninstalling straight from the app management?

Well I wanted to uninstall some crap that's baked into the OS like the Amazon MP3 thing which you can't delete off the phone.

I was under the impression this was possible over DroidExplorer.

I don't think droid explorer has root access. I had to do it via recovery, but you might be able to via normal adb, if you have access to /system/. You could, on the other hand, open the file on your sd card and just removed the apk and odex from there (or if they're extracted already, like in some cases), just navigate to /system/app/ and delete (you can't do this while in android, though).

So I found out one of my friends (who I haven't seen for a bit due to the summer) just bought a Samsung Captivate.

Played with it for about 10 minutes yesterday.

FAPFAPFAPFAPFAP

I KNOW, RIGHT?

I don't think droid explorer has root access. I had to do it via recovery, but you might be able to via normal adb, if you have access to /system/. You could, on the other hand, open the file on your sd card and just removed the apk and odex from there (or if they're extracted already, like in some cases), just navigate to /system/app/ and delete (you can't do this while in android, though).

Thanks, I'll give that a go.

It's funny that the Nexus One doesn't even have an FM Radio app but it does have that stupid Amazon MP3 store. They tried so hard to make it lean and free of bloatware, and it would be if it weren't for that one app. :p

So I found out one of my friends (who I haven't seen for a bit due to the summer) just bought a Samsung Captivate.

Played with it for about 10 minutes yesterday.

FAPFAPFAPFAPFAP

I played with one too, wasn't feeling it at all personally.

Bell has the European Galaxy S (i9000 I believe) and I don't know how it differs from the ones on sale in the US but I didn't like it. It seemed really poorly built... well, it didn't seem poorly built, but built of poor materials.

Also I get the same feeling looking at AMOLED screens that Ice gets looking at HDR photography, I think it looks diseased. It's probably just that I'm used to the shit screen on my HD2 though. The screen looks great, but I stick a first-gen iPhone next to it and then it becomes apparent how yellow and washed out it all looks on the HD2's lowly traditional LCD.

I may have missed something, but as I see the situation, there is no Froyo version worthwile of being used on the Galaxy S right now due to a number of bugs vs. no real advantages. Anyone?

Shawn, which Android build are you running on your HD2?

The Froyo build I have at the moment is still buggy. Reception is crap despite me running a 2.12 radio, and sometimes the phone doesn't wake up from sleep and I have to restart.

I'm using a Nexus One build that you can find here... Sense looks nice but I don't need all the social networking crap and for now I'd rather have as light a system as possible until I can flash Android directly onto the HD2.

With version 1.1 of the build I linked to and disabling auto-screen rotation I haven't had any screen freezes in as many days as I can recall. I admit I don't have the most demanding needs but Froyo is now my daily driver.

I posted about this in the apps thread... ran it a few days for it to calibrate and this is my average battery life.

blw.jpg

I'm really happy with that... I think fixing the profiles in SetCPU helped a lot, especially underclocking when the screen is off. XDA is such a good resource.

Is there some kind on Froyo-ish non-live wallpaper out there?

Homescreen1.jpg

Basically just the background pattern? GIS didn't give me anything.