The Android thread

I'm looking for a neat Android picture viewer as a replacement for the standard "gallery" app. My searches didn't find anything worthwhile yet. Any recommendations?

Basically I'm looking for something like XnView or ACDsee for Android. And being able to select folders to display pictures from would be nice.

Last edited:
Look for 3D gallery, it's the stock one from N1, quite nifty, but doesn't really show high resolution photos. I really like the HTC one, neat and efficient.

I tried 3D Gallery. Turns out it looks exactly like the standard gallery app on the i9000.

And the problem I have with it is not so much that it's a tad playful, rather than it displays every damn picture it finds anywhere on my sd cards. Of course i can pull the .nomedia file thing on those folders, but why do I have to do all the work of locating those folders and spraying this file all over my sd cards when what I should be able to do is have a gallery app that let's me configure a handful of image folders to be displayed?

Well, that's the android way, sorry. :p Same with audio players.
But technically, limiting an image viewer to a number of specific folders can not be a problem, so there must be an image viewer with configurable paths.

I'm sure it isn't, maybe you could message the devs of one for said feature.

Thing is I didn't find any image viewer I would describe as satisfactory other than the orginal one, so hoping to get my feature implemented in something I don't really want to use in the first place is kind of pointless.

So I took the effort to find all the folders with the media files inside and placed the .nomedia file in them, so now I only have displayed in my gallery what I want to. This is not perfect, but it's better than nothing.

That's not the Samsung gallery app, but the stock Android one. I'm surprised Samsung didn't try to add (or replace with) their own inferior version.

How are the pics fully zoomed in? All the versions I've tried were nowhere near as sharp as the HTC gallery app.

How are the pics fully zoomed in? All the versions I've tried were nowhere near as sharp as the HTC gallery app.
Zoomed-in pics are not very good. Is there a way to get hold of the HTC gallery app and make it run on the Galaxy S?

Doesn't do it unfortunately. The app isn't installable, so I temporarily removed the original gallery app and put the HTC one in its place. But the result isn't executable anymore, the icon just disappears from the menus.

I copied it to the phone manually and tried to install it with no luck, then I removed the standard app and put the HTC one in its place and renamed it, with no luck either. I can not adb push because I don't have Android SDK installed.

if you look on xda, someone posted a modded version of the 3d gallery app that apparently allows pictures to be shown in high(er?) resolution. if memory serves, it's in the themes and apps section of the htc desire forum. if i have some time, ill look for it and post the link here

The one issue I have with the default 3D gallery is that it display too much crap. Like random album art, picture caches or image files that are used by certain apps.

This might be because my Android, apps and media are all on the SD card. But is there any way I can keep certain folders from showing up in the gallery? You could do this under WM through the registry.

Is there some kind on Froyo-ish non-live wallpaper out there?

Basically just the background pattern? GIS didn't give me anything.

Yeah, there's actually two still wallpapers in 2.2 that follow the same theme as that. I don't know where to find them online or how to attach them though... anyone know where Android wallpapers are stored?

if you look on xda, someone posted a modded version of the 3d gallery app that apparently allows pictures to be shown in high(er?) resolution. if memory serves, it's in the themes and apps section of the htc desire forum. if i have some time, ill look for it and post the link here
Thank you for the hint, I'll have a look! :)

The one issue I have with the default 3D gallery is that it display too much crap. Like random album art, picture caches or image files that are used by certain apps.

This might be because my Android, apps and media are all on the SD card. But is there any way I can keep certain folders from showing up in the gallery? You could do this under WM through the registry.
Yes, this is exactly the problem I have with it, and here's the workaround:

Find the folders with content you don't want to have displayed. In those folders, generate an empty file with a file manager (or on your computer to transfer it onto the phone afterwards) with the filename '.nomedia'. This tells the system that it shall not scan the directory with this file and all subdirectories (!!!) for media files. Note that this incorporates videos and music as well. Then have the phone rescan the sd cards by either restarting it or en- and disabling a USB connection. It will rescan the cards and ignore all media in folders with the '.nomedia' file from then on.

Last edited:
Thanks Interceptor, I'll look into that a little later on. Definitely a workaround I was after.

Polly, I found the two wallpapers I was talking about. Even though I can run live wallpapers on my phone I tend to use the first one pretty often: