The Android thread

Swype beta got an update last night. It seems slightly better so far, but I haven't noticed any major changes.

Thanks to Shawn, I've been able to try Swype.

It feels very good, its ability to find the word you were looking for is pretty amazing!

I've been using Swype too for a few weeks now.

I still maintain my initial opinion, with my typing speeds on a normal mobile keyboard Swype only increases spelling accuracy (no accidental hits) and doesn't really improve my overall text input speed by much, if at all.

Swype works just fine with Sense.

I miss it though, but probably just because I was used to it.... I really don't have any concrete reasons why it was better. I guess the keyboard worked better for me, with the ability to hold down the keys to get to symbols.

Some more info on that Danish phone (Lumigon Phones)

Edited Google Translate

Danish mobile phone manufacturer Lumigon has another phone Lumigon in their line up next to the T1 a. The slider model S1 which comes with Android 2.2 Froyo, and a traditional phone keypad.

High quality materials

The design of the Lumigon S1 is very high end. The materials used are not cheap, but beauty is not only skin deep, it also scores highly with specs

In addition to a 1 GHz processor, an A-GPS transmitter and an FM transmitter. Video recording in HD is possible, as well as the playback or transfer to an external device via HDMI. The camera is 5MP with a more or less useful flash light

The Wi-Fi and HSPA data standards are for a device of this class built with - as well as a USB port.

So far, the operating system used was the talk of Android 2.1 - but this is now probably detached from Android 2.2 Froyo and a custom user interface.

Source: http://www.mobilfunk-talk.de/news/24288-lumigon-s1-luxusdesign-android-handy/
Also, from their facebook page

We are pleased to announce our partnership with Bang & Olufsen ICEpower a/s which will bring their patented audio technology into our products for optimal sound quality and high power efficiency.
At this point it seems kinda too good to be true for such a new start up company to have all this money to throw around for Bang and Olufsen and extravagant launch parties. But, it's Danish and everything that's Danish is bound to be ludicrously expensive and the object of desire for many, so hopes up. If anyone wants one, pre orders open on the 20th of September for a 20th October release..also for anyone in Denmark, release party at 8:10 on the launch date.

I'm currently messing around with different Nexus One camera .apks (where I can find them) to see if I can get a 5 MP (for stills) and 720p (for video) combo running. The app on my desire doesn't work, cause it needs the touchpad button to start recording and I kinda broke that. :D

The bad thing is I have to download complete 100+ MB roms just to get to the 700 kB apk.

100+ meg? Yeesh. CM is always 70MB or less.

Speaking of CM, it runs on my Hero. That's all, it just runs. It doesn't run badly. It doesn't run particularly well either. In fact, performance is exactly the same with Froyo as 2.1 with Sense was (based on the few apps I have that push my phone to the limit). So, the benefit is the new features, most of which are quite nice.

29.07 seconds. Not sure what that tells me. Then my phone froze loading the top 10 page.

38.858 MFLOPS
2.04 seconds

Go on irc.freenode.net #modaco (tomorrow, everybody's asleep now) and ask for the most slipstreamed rom.

I'll dig around but I really don't expect anything much, the hardware is pretty weak. Froyo runs smoothly which is pretty good in and of itself.

With flashing Andorid roms, it's so easy and fast with Clockwork Recovery I see no reason not to mess around with ROMs a bit! Especially if you have a NANDroid backup to restore to when everything is said and done.

True that, Nandroid backup is extremely handy.

I run T-Mod which uses LeoDroid as it's base and I find it very stable and easy to use. T-Mod is a rom put out for Telstra Android users.

What sets T-mod apart from all the other Roms?

And with regards to swype, I tried it on my HD2 in WinMo, and I found that I really wasn't that much faster with it than just the stock HTC keyboard.

Anyone here getting a G2?

10x0913oub4efg13.jpg

Last edited:
Swype seems a bit better on Android than on WM. Probably also because the WM copies are earlier versions; like everything else Swype development for WM must have stopped long ago.

You might also want to update the radio. Can mean up to 15-20% more speed.

2.897 MFLOPS. Woohoo! 0.4% increase!

In all seriousness I appreciate your help, it's just that this is a slow phone and I accepted that a long time ago.