The Android thread

Where does one get swype?

Anyone here getting a G2?

*sigh* I'd quite like to. But my contract only runs out in about 8 months, and until then I'm stuck with my Magic... unless I suddenly find a bunch of cash to buy one without a contract.

I might get the Desire Z, which is the Euro G2, but with a 5 row keyboard, depending on imports costs and the ability to remove Sense.

500x_htcdesirezone.jpg

htc-desire-hd01-hero-september-15-2010.jpg

Holy mother of god I need these in my life.

On a side note, is anyone really sick of HTC's stock rainbow wallpaper? I think it makes the phone look really cheap.

Yeah, it's quite ghastly. But luckily Android isn't a platform that doesn't allow you to change the wallpaper. ;)

Just ran quadrant on my phone and got 1175. Good result?

I've mended something! (again)

The trackpad button on my HTC Desire is broken, which means I can still do everything with the phone using the touchscreen apart from record videos, which is the only functionality which relies solely on the trackpad. So what I did was find an EVO 4G rom, which is more or less the same phone, but doesn't have a trackpad, so logic would dictate it uses either a soft button or another button to start video.

This is the result.

This sort of procedure requires root as you have to remove the original app first. Find root instructions on google but here is the app (which can be installed straight from the phone).

Come to think of it... maybe you can just install this OVER the existing app... hmm...

The Desire HD seems to have the same stupid protruding camera design as the HD2?

I was really looking forward to this phone but that can actually be a deal breaker for me. I really hate how the HD2 wobbles when you lay it down, especially since I got Android and am using the hardware buttons all the time (almost never used them on WM, maybe just to end a call).

Most do to an extent, but for some reason the Desire HD's camera lens in that stock pic above looks exactly like the HD2's which is quite wobbly compared to other HTC phones even.

I don't think they are, doesn't this have an 8MP camera? The HD2 is only 5.

I'm probably not going to buy this, HTC continues to insist to only do dual band HSDPA for some reason. Plus I was kind of hoping for AMOLED, would be insane to have that on a 4.3" screen.

It's the same as the EVO's camera, pardon. And HTC only does what the providers need, it's cheaper. EVO 4G for 1 market, Desire HD for the other. And regarding AMOLED, it's Samsung's fault for not being able to make enough.

Bastards.

I wonder how AMOLEDs are made.

And hopefully the new Sense UI is ported to the current Desire.

Last edited:
They're made using technology derived from inkjet printers, each pixel is "printed" onto the control surface. If you want to know how it works, I could quote wikipedia, but I haven't the faintest idea how it actually works. Magic, probably.

Why the hell do I still have a .bookmark_thumb1 folder on my SD card? I thought HTC had fixed this bug already.