The Android thread

Bah, I couldn't get an image out of the app or website, app gave me 0.8 down and uber slow flash player gave me 0.4 down. Sprint with 1-3 bars of signal (mostly 1).

Typically I get over 1 Mb and my record is 2.5.

Can't wait for an Android build for the HD2 with wifi enabled.

Yes, Android for HD2 is a reality.

6561608.png

I usually get a better ping than that (around 80ms), but this the best speed I've ever had.

Last edited:
Can't wait for an Android build for the HD2 with wifi enabled.

Yes, Android for HD2 is a reality.
Not that much. Android development on the Touch Diamond is miles ahead and it's still not 100% usable. You'll have to wait quite a bit more.

My app

My app

Hello Finalgear Android users :)

I've been a lurker on this forum for quite a while now, but never really posted because for some reason I don't feel the need to and don't have a lot to say (which is quite wierd because I'm quite the talker in person).

I released my first Android game today - Connect Five. I've always been an aspiring programmer (still only 17 and I'm propably going to study it). It's a simple Gomoku game - nothing too fancy, I made it because I wanted to learn the ins and outs of Android. It's free and it's fun to play with a friend if you're in a queue and have a couple of minutes. By the way, I did read the forum rules and I assume that advertising is only for paid stuff, and I am more in need of advice than customers anyway. But if this is against the rules then please write so and I will edit the post.

I'd very much appreciate it if you could test it out, perhaps report a bug and tell me what you think of it. Also, if anyone has ideas for a game or app that they would like to see on Android, please write them, I'm currently considering ideas for my next app or game.

You can use the qrcode or just search the market for Connect Five.

img.php

Screenshots:

http://img413.imageshack.**/img413/975/screenshot1nk.pnghttp://img193.imageshack.**/img193/3024/screenshot2vi.png

If something doesn't work, please reply with the problem you are facing.
Hope you like it :)

Last edited:
Appbrain is another decent site to find Android apps. Apparently, you can directly download apps to your phone by selecting them on your PC.

Also, some of the apps I use :

Twidroid (Twitter client)
AndChat (IRC client)
Nimbuzz (all-in-one instant messenger)
Astro (file manager that can access network shares!)
Barcode Scanner (to scan barcodes and use those QR codes to quickly download apps / visit sites)
Astrid Tasks (to-do list with calendar syncing feature)
Layar (augmented reality)
My Tracks (for GPS)
Opera Mini 5
Google Sky
TaskPanel (task manager to close unnecessary services/apps)
NewsRob - RSS feed reader

The droid x looks like it's really snappy, and the design looks fairly nice, hope you like it.

yeah, and you should be getting 2.2 some time next month, so there's not much point in it anyway.

Well... as experience has shown with the Milestone, Motorola's own software updates are far from perfect. There have been bugs with the alarm clock, battery life, spontaneous reboots and much more in the official 2.1 update, according to three friends of mine who have got Milestones. Meanwhile, the Droid can be fitted with Cyanogenmod, which is faster and better in many ways than the standard firmware. So I really don't see the point of what Motorola is doing there with the Droid X, and have now got one more reason to stick with HTC for my next Android phone.

Droid 2.1 has been problem-free for my friend, though after rooting and overclocking to 1GHz, stock 2.1 feels less than perfect. Anyway, he's getting the X and will most likely root as soon as a stable 2.2 ROM comes out for it.

Well the xperia x10 was a very difficult phone to obtain root, and the experts over at xda took months and bricked phones but they still managed to do it, so I'd say it'll be a similar experience.

That video of the Captivate really makes me want a T-Mo Vibrant even moar.

Going to call T-Mobile and see if I can get an upgrade on it.

So, my thoughts on the Droid X.

Never owning a true smart phone before, this has been a real experience for me so far. I really had to think about if I even needed one. After thinking about what I wanted a phone to do and what the main competition had, I felt like the new Droid X was the way to go for me. It's sort of easy to say "I'll just get and iPhone." but I wanted something different.

I've played with plenty of iPhones. It's very good. And I don't really have a bad thing to say about it. I simply like the Android OS better. Maybe it's because I will never buy an Apple computer and I'm a bit biased. I don't know.

The DX had a bit of a learning curve for me. I'm very much the "Push this buttons to see what happens." type. This worked pretty well for me. I didn't really look at the book to see how things worked. I'm going to look anyway. I'm sure there are a few things I'm not seeing or simply don't know about.

Everything is customizable. Within a half hour, I had all my icons and shortcuts where I wanted them. The resizing of widgets is also a very nice feature.

It's extremely fast. Loading apps, going from screen to screen, etc. It's pure lighting.

Making a few calls, it's extremely clear and the people I called said I sound much clearer than with my last phone.

The screen is fantastic. I was a bit afraid of getting it due to the sheer size of the thing. But after a while of using it, I really don't notice it. Plus, with Vcast and Youtube, it's awesome.

The camera takes some great photos. I do notice if it's lower light pics, the quality goes down. But, in normal light or day shots, it's really sharp.

Overall, I'm not going to say it's better than the iPhone 4. But, I will say they are on equal ground.

OK (correct me if I'm wrong), but I realize that Froyo ROMs/builds have been out for the Motorola Droid. However, I have a Motorola Milestone (don't ask why), does anyone know if there is any possible way to get Froyo on the Milestone?

I remember reading on Droidforums that the bootloader had not been cracked yet, but was wondering if that hurdle had been overcome yet.

Thanks for all the help.

[EDIT] Nvm, found out that it can be rooted but custom ROMs are a no-no.

Last edited: