The Android thread

If it helps: I'm really happy with my Galaxy S. The only things I'm not too happy about are the short lifespan of the battery charge and the unfortunate positioning of the speaker on the back. But other than that, it's by far the best phone I've ever owned and a real gem.

I'd only suggest the Galaxy S if you're willing to void warranty by rooting and removing TouchWiz.

Ice, I really don't understand your gripe with TouchWiz, seriously. There's nothing wrong with it, it works perfectly fine for me and is easy to handle.

Not to mention that even if it really is fat and heavy, the Galaxy S is powerful enough to overcome that issue comfortably.

Wait, I thought the Wave had Bada?

Oh deer.

Ice, I really don't understand your gripe with TouchWiz, seriously. There's nothing wrong with it, it works perfectly fine for me and is easy to handle.

I completely agree with you. Its works great for me and I have ABSOLUTELY no gripes about TouchWiz. It doesn't lag as far as I can tell, is very unobtrusive and so far a million bajillion times better then my previous phone (POS HTC Fuze with WM 6.1). My only real gripe with the phone at all is the stock email client, but now that I installed K-9 its a non issue. As far as I've seen, the only people who are saying anything bad about Touchwiz and the Galaxy S phones are people who have never held one in their hands or who are the types who don't take well to something different. Then again, this is my first Android Phone, so I don't have another UI to compare it to really.

All I know is I'm looking forward to seeing what the upgrade to 2.2 will do at the end of the month. The phone already rocks and has exceeded expectations, so we'll what that does for me. Even the battery life has worked for me, as I can get almost two full days without a charge and fairly constant use. It is a bit weird in that it seems to drain the first half of the battery life really fast, and then the time from 50-20% takes much longer. I've tried to be really good about waiting until the phone literally dies from lack of battery before putting it on charge, so maybe that has something to do with it too. From what I have heard about Froyo, it should garner some even better battery life results too.

I completely agree with you. Its works great for me and I have ABSOLUTELY no gripes about TouchWiz. It doesn't lag as far as I can tell, is very unobtrusive and so far a million bajillion times better then my previous phone (POS HTC Fuze with WM 6.1). My only real gripe with the phone at all is the stock email client, but now that I installed K-9 its a non issue. As far as I've seen, the only people who are saying anything bad about Touchwiz and the Galaxy S phones are people who have never held one in their hands or who are the types who don't take well to something different. Then again, this is my first Android Phone, so I don't have another UI to compare it to really.

All I know is I'm looking forward to seeing what the upgrade to 2.2 will do at the end of the month. The phone already rocks and has exceeded expectations, so we'll what that does for me. Even the battery life has worked for me, as I can get almost two full days without a charge and fairly constant use. It is a bit weird in that it seems to drain the first half of the battery life really fast, and then the time from 50-20% takes much longer. I've tried to be really good about waiting until the phone literally dies from lack of battery before putting it on charge, so maybe that has something to do with it too. From what I have heard about Froyo, it should garner some even better battery life results too.

This is the exact opposite of what you want to do with a lithium-ion battery.

Lithium ion chemistry prefers partial discharge to deep discharge, so it's best to avoid taking the battery all the way down to zero. Since lithium-ion chemistry does not have a "memory", you do not harm the battery pack with a partial discharge. If the voltage of a lithium-ion cell drops below a certain level, it's ruined.

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/lithium-ion-battery2.htm

I'm starting to look at the Galaxy S now instead of the Desire, it just looks more complete overall. It seems we only get one version here and until Orange tell me I can upgrade I have no idea how much it'll cost me.

As far as navigation, I've heard that Google Maps Navigation isn't comparable to the TomTom software I have on my Touch HD, so I'm wondering if I should keep the HD for navigation, sell it to one of these phone recycling companies (?114) and buy a standalone TomTom or just sell it and use GMN.

Sorry, but you people don't have experience with anything else but touchwiz. Yes, a Galaxy S has the power to run it, but that's a solution to a problem that shouldn't have existed in the first place. Go into the market, download launcher pro, set it up for 3D drawer, etc... , then go into manage applications and force close touchwiz so only Launcher Pro is actually running. Then you'll see what speed really is. Launcher Pro is the aftermarket solution that gets closest to a native 2.2 experience.

Just trust me, I've been fanboying Android long enough to know what I'm talking about. ;)

I'm starting to look at the Galaxy S now instead of the Desire, it just looks more complete overall. It seems we only get one version here and until Orange tell me I can upgrade I have no idea how much it'll cost me.

As far as navigation, I've heard that Google Maps Navigation isn't comparable to the TomTom software I have on my Touch HD, so I'm wondering if I should keep the HD for navigation, sell it to one of these phone recycling companies (?114) and buy a standalone TomTom or just sell it and use GMN.

Not sure about your providers, but most of the ones over here seem to have their own proprietary navigation software as well. The Sprint Navigator on my phone is a little basic but it's actually quite good, I was pleasantly surprised at how well it worked given a long-ingrained distrust of bloatware.

Sorry, but you people don't have experience with anything else but touchwiz. Yes, a Galaxy S has the power to run it, but that's a solution to a problem that shouldn't have existed in the first place. Go into the market, download launcher pro, set it up for 3D drawer, etc... , then go into manage applications and force close touchwiz so only Launcher Pro is actually running. Then you'll see what speed really is. Launcher Pro is the aftermarket solution that gets closest to a native 2.2 experience.

Just trust me, I've been fanboying Android long enough to know what I'm talking about. ;)
Erm...
Ummm ... so I have given the ADW Launcher and LauncherPro a run to see whether they are better than my TouchWiz. However, so far I'm not impressed. They both run choppier than TouchWiz in terms of scrolling and opening/closing windows, and when it comes to functions, I haven't found anything I would need them for yet. They have different good ideas implemented, but the one that clearly says "you need me" I haven't found yet.
Either way, I'm currently giving Launcher Pro another, longer run. I probably wasn't managing it correctly, so having another go won't hurt. But I haven't found out how to kill TouchWiz yet - maybe that's the problem...

EDIT: I think I just got it

Last edited:
So the 2.2 build that got released wasn't the final one because it has some issues. The ones I've noticed include drastically slower 3G speeds and sensitivity issues with the screen. The screen could just be me but I haven't changed the way I use it since upgrading, so...

Still waiting on the 2.2 update for my Droid.

I'm looking for a good battery indicator which produces a graph over time. WAIT! Not like the ones that I found. Those only display a single graph, but they do not say what actually drains the battery.

In the menu, the i9000 can give me a list of apps that have drained the battery since the last charge and of how many % of the discharge they are responsible for. So since this information is available, there must be an app that produces say 5 graphs of the top 5 (or even more?) charge annihilators over time. The idea is to find out which apps and parts of the phone use the biggest amount of power. The problem with the inbuilt function is that it is hidden in the menus, it does not draw graphs and it forgets everything that happened before when you recharge.

Thanks in advance! :)

Last edited: