The Android thread

No I cannot. :p I just need to get some money together.

Okay, small problem. I'm running FeedR as a newswidget which provides me with the latest info. I set it to update the feeds every half hour. To save my precious battery charge, I also got JuiceDefender running. I set it to activate the data connection for 5 minutes every 30 minutes for feed updates.

But the newsfeeds in FeeR won't update when the phone is in standby. I suppose this is because the update windows and the data active window don't overlap, so FeedR tries to update when JuiceDefender denies the connection.

So, is there any way I can get these two to synchronize their work?

No. What you wnat would only work with a reader that could turn on the data connection and then turn it off again when it was done. It's possible, the API is there, just no reader has that implemented.

Does FeedR always look for the feed at the same time?

I suppose so? You can choose the update frequency for the feeds in the settings of FeedR. But there are only a couple of choices. I set it to "every 5 minutes now", so it should hit one of the data active windows of JuiceDefender and otherwise do nothing, since it doesn't activate data by itself.

I suppose so? You can choose the update frequency for the feeds in the settings of FeedR. But there are only a couple of choices. I set it to "every 5 minutes now", so it should hit one of the data active windows of JuiceDefender and otherwise do nothing, since it doesn't activate data by itself.

Try a program like Tasker. You can set it to activate the mobile data for as long as you want, when you want. Try the trial version and see if it will do what you want.

I'll definitely give Tasker a shot. The thing is that I don't know when FeedR tries to update, I just know that it does every X minutes. I suppose this is what you initially asked, so no, I can not set the frequency as a fixed time, just as a period of time between updates in FeedR.

Last edited:
I'll definitely give Tasker a shot. The thing is that I don't know when FeedR tries to update, I just know that it does every X minutes. I suppose this is what you initially asked, so no, I can not set the frequency as a fixed time, just as a period of time between updates in FeedR.

Will it automatically update when it loads up? You could get Tasker to kill it and then restart it to get the timing right.

Question: Has anyone found a nice app/program that cleans out your /sdcard folder? Whenever I enter Astro it's become a pain just to navigate with all the useless/junk folders for numerous uninstalled apps, and for a person like me its driving me crazy.

Thanks.

Question: Has anyone found a nice app/program that cleans out your /sdcard folder? Whenever I enter Astro it's become a pain just to navigate with all the useless/junk folders for numerous uninstalled apps, and for a person like me its driving me crazy.

Thanks.

Plug it into USB and clean out the stuff you don't want on the computer?

WinMo is shut down before linux runs. It's not proper dual boot yet, though, as winmo has to start first and then run haret from it. There are extremely lightweight roms out there with auto-run scripts so you get more ram for android.

+rep!
Sweet! Although it's not running perfect on the TP 2 apparently (no sound for things like phone ringing) it'll be a nice project for me I'm sure! :D

Few days late to the party, but here are my benchmarks on my HD2.

https://pic.armedcats.net/s/sh/shawn/2010/08/26/screenshot.png

Obviously modified kernel and whatnot, but who cares, the HD2 had 2.2 before all the poor sods waiting for HTC or Motorola to send their OTA updates to their native Android devices. I didn't even have to root or anything, just load some files onto my SD card and that was it. Pretty good for a WM device I'd say.

Android is great... nothing mind blowing but it's like all things I liked about WinMo wrapped up in a modern package. Even though damn near everything works on the HD2 I might even pick up a native Android device when I move to the US. Although right now there is nothing I like... looked at the Galaxy S from Bell and the Super AMOLED didn't impress me terribly (and it seemed really plasticky, but maybe I'm just spoiled thanks to the HD2's sexy rubber and metal body).

You didn't have fully functional 2.2 when it was first released. I've been there with the Diamond, whatever you might say, it's not as polished as the final.

You didn't have fully functional 2.2 when it was first released. I've been there with the Diamond, whatever you might say, it's not as polished as the final.

Okay Darjan, rain on my parade if it makes you feel better. I'm not here to argue.

Do you have an HD2? I don't believe you do... I've been told the HD2 runs Android far better than any other WM device. Right now aside from the SD card limitation and lack of 720p video capture everything is working perfectly fine... battery life isn't great at 24 hours standby, but I hear its brother the EVO has battery life issues too. And battery life should improve further once we can flash Android to the HD2's NAND in a few weeks hopefully.

The only complaint I have is really bad colour banding... I hear it's because the screen is natively 65k colours and Android doesn't play too well with that spec. But the EVO is also 65k colours and I have a hard time believing a native Android device would have such ugly gradients. But I definitely cannot complain, native Snapdragon Androids might run slightly better but would also cost me twice as much.

And you've just proven my point. :)

If your point is that it's working 90% as well as another Snapdragon running Android natively, then okay. :)

I never claimed to have have in my possession the premiere Android device money can buy right now. Just thought I'd join in with the benchmarking fun, especially since my setup is a bit unusual. but apparently I'm not eligible.

At any rate, for $300 I have no regrets. Yes, a few things aren't working (yet, development hasn't stopped or even slowed) but I also don't have access to any other 4.3" devices here. I looked at the Galaxy S and the price aside I found the screen seemed a lot smaller even though it's only 0.3" smaller than the HD2's.

Hey, you were the one acting all better than thou cause you had 2.2 before all the others who get it over OTA and I just pointed out to you that your version of it isn't as polished up as the versions that get released officially. ;)