The Android thread

...HTC only does what the providers need, it's cheaper.

I can't disagree with that, but I can tell you most other manufacturers don't bother with region specific versions of their phones these days.

Not that I care, I don't even use data. But this has always been a bit of a turnoff for me, even as far back as 2005 when I had an iMate JAM (made by HTC) which was only dual-band GSM when everything else was already quad-band.

At least I didn't put the Mjolnir mix song in it. :p

The audio recording is quite crap. Would probably benefit from a small dedicated dictaphone or something.

That car mount with the phone in camera mode gives me an idea....if you can get yourself an infrared photography, you can use it as a night-vision display.

The sensor has an IR filter right on it, I can't remove that. The way the cameras in the S-Class work, for instance, is that they don't have the IR filter, that's how they can capture the light bounced back from the headlamps more efficiently (they might also have IR leds).

Am I insane, stupid, or what?

I'm using a Froyo AOSP rom on my hero, fist time not using a sense rom and I can't copy text from e-mails and paste them. Did google REALLY not implement copy and paste but HTC did?

It should have cut and paste, it's just that HTC has a much better implimentation of it on Sense.

Posted from my HD2 using Android

Curse you HTC for sticking a spanner in the works. Just as I was ready to replace my Touch HD with the Galaxy S, you come along with the Desire HD. Saying that I'm glad they did, it's exactly what I hoped would be around now. Similar great looks as the HD and HD2 but with the power of the Desire.

It should have cut and paste, it's just that HTC has a much better implimentation of it on Sense.

Posted from my HD2 using Android

It has none! Supposedly Gmail app has it now though. I just installed K9 from the market and it works a lot better so problem solved.

Curse you HTC for sticking a spanner in the works. Just as I was ready to replace my Touch HD with the Galaxy S, you come along with the Desire HD. Saying that I'm glad they did, it's exactly what I hoped would be around now. Similar great looks as the HD and HD2 but with the power of the Desire.

They still pissed me off, the Desire Z won't be coming to the US (most likely) because of the G2 and it's only on T-mobile. Looks as though I'm jumping to the Galaxy S 99% because it has a hardware keyboard

Last edited:
Stock Froyo has it... :dunno:

I'm running Cm6/froyo on the Hero and I can not get access to anything that will let me copy text. Maybe it's a bug in CM6 (it's still beta) but if I hit menu, I don't get an option nor does a long press on any text give me any options either :(

They still pissed me off, the Desire Z won't be coming to the US (most likely) because of the G2 and it's only on T-mobile. Looks as though I'm jumping to the Galaxy S 99% because it has a hardware keyboard

Well you'll probably be able to put a custom ROM that has the new Sense features on it on a G2. I actually like the looks of stock Android though *shrugs*

In any case, I won't even get the G2, the plan I have on Verizon is so cheap that only Sprint comes close to touching it.

The Galaxy S has a hardware keyboard? :dunno:

The Galaxy S has a hardware keyboard? :dunno:

Well, not really.

The US got four different Galaxy S submodels for different carriers, and the Epic 4G which is Sprint's version is the only one that has a slide-out keyboard and also the only one with an LED flash and WiMAX.

Would you mind doing a Linpack or Quadrant benchmark? I'll check it out if there's a significant performance difference. Using CyanogenMod right now and its slow but not any more so than the stock ROMs were.

I have no idea how fast a stock or CM6 ROM is, but here's the result of Villains'
snap20100917_224851.png

^I assume this means the difference is significant