The Android thread

Trust me, I have no arms.

And the rooting went OK.
It borked the APN settings, but a call to tech support fixed everything.

I like the easy theme-ing for Sense under the Desire HD ROM.

It's a shame most of them are uglier than stock Sense though.

Just put on OpenDesire 4.0 Build 25. Works well.....

I should probably have gone straight to an Android or a VW board, but thought I'd ask here anyway:

I got my new car today and having some issues with the Bluetooth. Both streaming and hands-free work on the HD2 under WM, but only streaming works under Android.

When I search for the car on my phone I only get the streaming show up under Android (both show up under WinMo) and when I search for the phone via the car the car finds both streaming and hands-free but it fails to establish the hands-free part and says 'connection failed' after a few minutes.

Any ideas? I'm thinking it's the Android build since WM performs as advertised with the car... I really hope my car isn't the reason I go back to WM.

Edit: I should mention that when I go into Bluetooth on my phone and select to see a list of services offered by the car, it shows both hands-free and streaming as turned on. But hands-free doesn't work, the car doesn't see any phones at all.

Edit 2: Nevermind, it's just the build that I'm using that has Bluetooth issues.

Last edited:
Droid X 2.2 today! Already seeing the speed increases. Wonder how well it stacks up on that chart?

Sony Ericsson Product Blog said:
Update on Updates

I?ve seen all your questions around the planned Android 2.1 update of the current XPERIA range. I really hear your eagerness and thirst for more information ? and of course the update itself.

We have earlier given some information on what to expect from this update and said that the roll-out was planned to start late Q3.

The plan for the added features and Android 2.1 step-up still holds but unfortunately we need a couple of more weeks before we are ready to start the roll-out.

The revised plan is to start the roll-out from end of October and onwards.

We are of course not happy about the change of launch timing but we have had to spend some additional time on the software to really makes sure we roll-out with the right quality and user experience.

When it comes to what to expect from the updated software all three X10 models will be updated to Android 2.1 and the Xperia X10 will also get HD video recording with continuous auto focus among many other things.

The key changes for the different products are the following:

Xperia X10:

HD video recording with continuous auto-focus for high quality videos
Upgrade of the Android platform to Android 2.1
New back up and restore application, with extended content back up
5 homescreens for apps, widgets, shortcuts and folders
Social phonebook which automatically syncs contact pictures from Facebook and shows when your friends are online
Xperia X10 mini and X10 mini pro:

Improved Bluetooth functionality with support for sending and receiving pictures, contacts and more
New backup and restore application with extended content back up
Automatic synchronization of your contact pictures between Facebook and your phone book
Improved ways of handling pictures, audio, text and numbers in your messages
Upgrade of the Android platform to Android platform 2.1
Over the coming weeks we will here on the product blog keep you updated with visual and video examples on what your phone will look like and be able to do after the update!

I?d also like to highlight that the update will be made available in a phased roll-out which means that different ?kits? get the update at different times. It will take some additional weeks from end of October before all different kits have the new software available.

What we mean by a ?kit? is a different configuration, i.e. colour of the phone, bundled accessories but most importantly in this case different software configurations.

The difference in software between different kits is mainly related to included languages, settings, applications etc ? all this to comply with different legal and operator requirements.

A software upgrade roll-out is similar to a normal product launch, i.e. we roll out the products in a phased manner as the kits are completed. This is due to global and local type approvals and network testing and the same apply for a software upgrade.

From the end of October you will be able to follow availability of the new software on a market by market basis here on the blog.

I will keep you posted with more information and details as we go along.

Bastards! And bye bye then.

Holy Crap. My new phone just arrived about 15 min ago. Activated just fine. Boy am I in love with this thing already. :D

The only thing I did was change the wallpaper so far too! :p

Bastards! And bye bye then.

It's SonyEricsson. It would have been more shocking had they actually gotten an update out on time! :p

install win 3.1 on an android through dos box (to this date dosbox doesn't have virtual keyboard support so a sliding keyboard is a must)

Instructions

Untitled.png

Does Windows 3.1 have an on-screen keyboard?

It's only a matter of time now before 95/98. Useless but interesting.

thing is you need a keyboard for dosbox you can't get to the point of installing it.

Though WIN 95 seems a lot simpler:

Instructions

It doesn't have a point, from what it says you can't do much on it ... still, I find it hard to believe that I can run the OS from one of my first computers on my phone, it's amazing.

thing is you need a keyboard for dosbox you can't get to the point of installing it.

That just hit me yesterday: my current phone has almost the same specs as my previous desktop.
Instructions

It doesn't have a point, from what it says you can't do much on it ... still, I find it hard to believe that I can run the OS from one of my first computers on my phone, it's amazing.

I just thought about it yesterday: my current phone has almost the same specs as the desktop I had last year and much better hardware than the desktop I used in my last job...

Just put on OpenDesire 4.0 Build 25. Works well.....

Downloading leodroid, cyanogenmod 6 and opendesire atm. Can't wait to try all of them tonight. Despite moving all many apps to SD, I still only have 40mb or so left in phone memory....

Boot into recovery and clear battery stats. Then allow the phone to run completely dead before recharging to make sure it can figure it all out again.

Did that, but then rebooted and battstat still showed "accurate".

Last edited:
Anyone know of an app/widget that will let me not only enable bluetooth but force my phone to auto-reconnect to a specific device when I hit the button? The bluetooth adapter I put in my car, for some odd reason, doesn't auto-connect after it gets disconnected.

I thought you weren't supposed to do this with modern batteries?

You only do it until the phone shuts down automatically. Pretty much any of these phones will shut down before it gets to the true point where there is 0 voltage in the battery.

Holy Crap. My new phone just arrived about 15 min ago. Activated just fine. Boy am I in love with this thing already. :D

The only thing I did was change the wallpaper so far too! :p

It's SonyEricsson. It would have been more shocking had they actually gotten an update out on time! :p

I'm annoyed now. I bought this phone KNOWING there'd be a 2.1 update.

Sure i can live with 1.6 but 2.1 should have some performance speedups because 1.6 is sorta bogged down imo.

Now hurry it up Sony Ericsson!

Instructions

I have such an urge to do this so I can play The Oregon Trail on my phone.

I have such an urge to do this so I can play The Oregon Trail on my phone.

Do you also find all these modern mobile iterations of The Oregon Trail to just not be the same?

I tried the WM version and it was cartoony and annoying.

Been running OpenDesire 4.0.25 for a couple of days now and lot's of lockups. Going to look elsewhere I think.