The Android thread

I'm just now playing with win 95 on my phone.

It's not what you call fast.
It's a bit difficult to browse around windows with the touch screen.
You can play solitare ... but not much else to do ... really.

Most importantly though you can get a warm feeling that your mobile phone can run windows.

I'd say try it, takes about 5 minutes to install.

Go bored and uninstalled it. It constantly appeared in the notification bar that application was paused or something like that so I got paranoid that it's on 24/7 despite that "manage applications" didn't list it as working.

Edit: I have a problem with nesoid, sometimes I can't press 2 buttons on the virtual keypad even though I have multitouch. Anyone have this problem ?

Last edited:
Edit: I have a problem with nesoid, sometimes I can't press 2 buttons on the virtual keypad even though I have multitouch. Anyone have this problem ?

Yup, didn't work for me, and speed was abysmal which just really is inexcusable when Gamboid (GBA emu) runs pretty well.

Last edited:
I just became the first person to pre-order the G2 at my local T-Mobile location.

I can't wait to chuck this fucking Samsung off my deck into the river.

What Samsung is it? Send it to me :p

I want to preorder the G2 as well - trying to decide whether to do it in a store or online.

Also, this mail in rebate shit is absurd. What year is this?

I want to preorder the G2 as well - trying to decide whether to do it in a store or online.

Also, this mail in rebate shit is absurd. What year is this?

If you get the phone from Best Buy, there's no mail in rebate, they just give it to you instantly.

Of course, that means having to set foot in Worst Buy......:p

If you get the phone from Best Buy, there's no mail in rebate, they just give it to you instantly.

Of course, that means having to set foot in Worst Buy......:p

Best Buy can have good deals especially on cell phones. Just don't go there for anything unless you already know the price.

They have good prices on TVs sometimes as well.

I hear Radio Shack also gives you the rebates right up front?

I'm not in the US but that's what I've heard.

Looks like Cyanogenmod 6.0 stable is out for my Hero, is there a one-click solution for backing up all my shit (apps, settings, etc) and restoring it on the new ROM? Any experiences with Titanium Backup?

Looks like Cyanogenmod 6.0 stable is out for my Hero, is there a one-click solution for backing up all my shit (apps, settings, etc) and restoring it on the new ROM? Any experiences with Titanium Backup?

Titanium Backup worked quite well for me, just make sure to upgrade the app to latest version before backing up and restoring - there were a few nasty little bugs in previous versions.

I hear Radio Shack also gives you the rebates right up front?

I'm not in the US but that's what I've heard.

yep, radio shack does also.

Now that's a chain i haven't seen the inside of in years though XD

Whats a good app for clearing out junk from the phone memory?

Whats a good app for clearing out junk from the phone memory?
If you mean the RAM, you're looking for something like TasKiller. Their use is a bit controversial in general, but properly configured I say they do more good than harm.

EDIT: posted this here a few days ago:
Back on the question of whether or not to use a task killer - I do use one, and the phone works noticeably faster with it.

I use TasKiller Full. I set everything which is not system-related on ignore. Otherwise, I use "auto-kill when screen off", so basically every app I used since I last got my phone out of standby is being terminated when the phone goes back to stand-by (automatically as well as manually).

For seeing the difference with and without the task killer, I disabled it and used my phone normally. And once the phone ran low on free memory (checked via SeePU), starting any kind of app took more than twice as long compared to with the task killer. I suppose this happens because the phone starts the desired app and terminates another app from the memory at the same time, which occupies the CPU and thus makes the phone freeze for a couple of seconds. If the memory is being kept empty by the task killer however, this problem does not surface at all.

Last edited:
Ah, I was more talking about caches, etc.

What's the problem with mini-USB? I have like a million cables piled up.

Still, if this means Firefox for Android, do want (assuming it is actually good). I'm not a fan of the stock browser, and while Dolphin is nice, it's a resource hog.

Um, just watched the video. Holy shit DO WANT. Although most of it is probably going to end up gimmicky.

Last edited:
HTC browser is nice, the Fennec alpha I tried looked promissing, but still needed a lot of work done. micro-usb is the standard, I have a lot of mini-usb devices and cables lying around too, but since the EU decided that micro-usb is to be the standard, they're just going against their own policies here. Also, micro-usb is more robust.

Stupid question, but what does Cyanogenmod bring to the HTC Desire?