The Android thread

uggg....my Captivate, which I upgraded to the "Unofficial official Froyo and Rooted it" has been doing the "random shutdown if over 80% charged" thing lately, so I took it back to the stock ROM. Its amazing the difference between the two. Not having it rooted makes it suck, and being on 2.1 sucks even more. I really hope the problem continues, so I can take it in for warranty and then go back to being rooted and Froyoed again. Even using Launcher Pro instead of Touchwiz doesn't help.

I guess this is a plea for those who have decided to not upgrade or root to really try it. It makes the phone 1000 times better.

Last edited:
For those who don't want to wait for the OTA push, the update.zip can be downloaded from here

http://android.clients.google.com/p...igned-passion-FRG83G-from-FRG83D.2854b06b.zip

I've followed the instructions from http://androidandme.com/2011/01/phones/update-your-nexus-one-to-android-2-2-2/ and installed it without any problems (except losing root, I'll try to re-root it later using SuperOneClick).

Edit: re-rooted, no problem so far.

snap20110124_143706.png

Last edited:
uggg....my Captivate, which I upgraded to the "Unofficial official Froyo and Rooted it" has been doing the "random shutdown if over 80% charged" thing lately, so I took it back to the stock ROM. Its amazing the difference between the two. Not having it rooted makes it suck, and being on 2.1 sucks even more. I really hope the problem continues, so I can take it in for warranty and then go back to being rooted and Froyoed again. Even using Launcher Pro instead of Touchwiz doesn't help.

I guess this is a plea for those who have decided to not upgrade or root to really try it. It makes the phone 1000 times better.

As a counterpoint, I had a rooted 2.2 ROM on my Hero for a while, but performance just slowed to a crawl over time - now I'm back on 2.1 and I hardly miss anything. Sense is really nice, and the HTC Flash Player is a lot better than the Adobe one that doesn't support my processor and crashes the browser on launch....

Plus I'm still rooted, so whatever is missing can be made up for with an app.

This reminds me I want to flash my Captivate back to stock 2.1 for my girlfriend. That way she can use it and fall in love with Android, then come March, she can use her upgrade on an Atrix, give it to me, and keep the Captivate.

*Wishes HTC didn't take 14 years to give us Gingerbread.

*Wishes Motorola didn't take [insert random # between 2 and a bajillion] months to give us Froyo and/or an unlocked bootloader.

You should be so lucky to be with HTC.

I'm actually considering to get a HD2 just to dualboot - and the fact that it's "better" than the Xperia X10 i'm stuck with...

It's actually not a bad idea. You can probably sell your X10 and buy an HD2 for the same sort of money. I am completely in love with my HD2. The 4.3" screen takes a lot of getting used to, and the display quality won't be as great as the X10, but it makes up for it in performance and modability. Windows Phone 7 runs crazy smooth on the HD2. The only reason I took it off is because it was too simple for my needs. HD2 (T-Mobile version) with an unsquashed Desire HD rom runs pretty well.

As a counterpoint, I had a rooted 2.2 ROM on my Hero for a while, but performance just slowed to a crawl over time - now I'm back on 2.1 and I hardly miss anything. Sense is really nice, and the HTC Flash Player is a lot better than the Adobe one that doesn't support my processor and crashes the browser on launch....

Plus I'm still rooted, so whatever is missing can be made up for with an app.

I think Samsung might suck a bit more in the ROM cooking avenue then HTC, cause thats very much not the case with the Captivate. There are lots of things that are better about it, mostly apps that are available, a few UI things, and the fact that the GPS actually works. I might also be missing being Rooted. I know a bunch of the apps and widgets I used before aren't able to be used unrooted with this ROM. The other thing I noticed BIG TIME is that the battery gets used at least twice as fast with the Stock ROM over Froyo. Some things are snappier with 2.1, but the overall experience is much better on 2.2 speed and stability wise. For instance, the menu's and such are smoother in 2.1, but it has to stop and think a lot more compared to 2.2.

Of course, the "shutting down" thing hasn't happened since I went back to the stock ROM, which is annoying. Might go back to Froyo again and see what happens. Gonna give it a day or two with this ROM first though.

Smib, good on ya, but I'd do it with the "leaked Froyo" 2.2 upgrade. Thats what I had, and combined with a Root it was all I ever needed without having to futz with the potential glitchiness of custom ROM's. I would never have gone back if I wasn't having the shut down issues.

HTC usually follows Google a few months behind and if you stopped bitching, you'd see they're the company that does things first, especially compared to Samsung or Sony. Wait until the Nexus One gets Gingerbread, HTC's high-end phones will follow soon. I say this because I have run Gingerbread on my Desire and it's not nearly on the level. Yes, it's fast, it's nice, but it's also very incomplete.

So, yes, you can brag how you're running the latest AOSP build, but you should know that it's not on the level these manufacturers consider an OS worthy of putting on their phones.

venuehero01212011-1295923724.jpg

Hmm, this or a Desire Z.

Smib, good on ya, but I'd do it with the "leaked Froyo" 2.2 upgrade. Thats what I had, and combined with a Root it was all I ever needed without having to futz with the potential glitchiness of custom ROM's. I would never have gone back if I wasn't having the shut down issues.

I'm running the leaked 2.2 and it's performance leaves something to be desired. It hesitates all the time, sometimes taking several seconds to respond to input. Audio playback through bluetooth is glitchy as well. Maybe I'll just try flashing that again with a full wipe to see if things improve.

HTC usually follows Google a few months behind and if you stopped bitching, you'd see they're the company that does things first, especially compared to Samsung or Sony. Wait until the Nexus One gets Gingerbread, HTC's high-end phones will follow soon. I say this because I have run Gingerbread on my Desire and it's not nearly on the level. Yes, it's fast, it's nice, but it's also very incomplete.

So, yes, you can brag how you're running the latest AOSP build, but you should know that it's not on the level these manufacturers consider an OS worthy of putting on their phones.

Amen.

The phone itelf is good, but Samsung?s update strategy is cringeworthy.

C'mon Motorola hurry the fuck up, give me Froyo for me Milestone so i can use PIN code lock.

Does anyone know if there's a "Fuzzy Clock" widget in a similar style to Clockr? So instead of saying the exact time, it simply says "Twelve 'o Clock" or "About One" or similar? I haven't been able to find anything so far.