The Android thread

I played with a Galaxy Tab in the store today, it's very fast and nice to hold and type on but I feel like it is too small to be a used as a tablet PC and too big to be truely a portable device.

I agree. I liked it per se, but I felt it was too small for me, specially since I am used to the 4" screen of the Galaxy S.

The HD2 screen isn't all bad though. Having a screen that physically big is just awesome in some cases. My ideal screen/phone would probably be the Samsung Galaxy S with the 4.0" SAMOLED screen. I do agree though that I find the colors a bit over saturated for my tastes. My friend's Desires with the SLCD or AMOLED is a pretty decent compromise (though it does come at the expense of the battery life for the case of the SLCD).

On a different note, I am REALLY digging the design of the new Galaxy S II. I personally wish that they have kept the 4.0" screen size, as 3.7" now seenms downright small in comparison. Imagine the shock I had when I was playing with my friend's new BB 9780!

Wait, doesn?t the Galaxy S II has a 4.3" display?

How do you guys tolerate the featherlight Galaxy S? Feels like a toy, personally prefer something with a bit more heft.

I wrap my Vibrant in a 2-piece Casemate case 24/7. Gives it the heft and grip I like.

Oh man...
Dell bringing Ice Cream this year.

2-16-11-dell-smartphone-leak.jpg

That Hancock seems amazing!

It's everything I want.

I agree. I liked it per se, but I felt it was too small for me, specially since I am used to the 4" screen of the Galaxy S.

Wait, doesn?t the Galaxy S II has a 4.3" display?

Oops fixed the post.

Last edited:
I think HTC just added a shitload of widgets.
Battery one seems good.
Fake call. :D

Last edited:
I have a problem with the HTC Sense weather widget - After using my phone as a USB drive, when I unplug the phone the calendar and messages widgets show up fine, but the weather one stays blank and the refresh button doesn't work.

Any ideas? ATM I have to remove and then add the widget again for it to display the weather.

I have a problem with the HTC Sense weather widget - After using my phone as a USB drive, when I unplug the phone the calendar and messages widgets show up fine, but the weather one stays blank and the refresh button doesn't work.

Any ideas? ATM I have to remove and then add the widget again for it to display the weather.

mine always thoughts I was in Northcote for some reason - wouldn't update it's location no matter what

Same problem here, I don't know the cause, or a way to fix it. :(

Me on CMYLXGOs.Stock.Desire.HD.v2.0.4n.NAND. on my HD2. I find this is the only non-sense (no pun intended) build that works with my college's PEAP network.

Me on CMYLXGOs.Stock.Desire.HD.v2.0.4n.NAND. on my HD2. I find this is the only non-sense (no pun intended) build that works with my college's PEAP network.

Using the same ROM on my HD2 and it works brilliantly! For better or for worse, they iterate so damn quickly!. Mines is already out of date by a couple of versions already! Its one of the only ROMS that work properly with my Uni's network too.

Finally got bored of my Evo and picked up an HTC EVO Shift. Haven't had a hardware keyboard in a long time, but i'm already loving it. Quadrant, even bone stock, blows the Evo out of the water.

I'm having issues with Google's backup services for Android.

I never quite figured out what the backup service did, I always checked the box when I installed a new ROM but it never seemed to pull down any data. Yesterday I flashed a new ROM and was quite surprised to be greeted by a familiar wallpaper and dozens of non-default apps automatically downloading through the Market.

The problem is this backup is not very recent, it doesn't seem like the Android backup feature works very well or frequently on my account - it's a wallpaper from months ago and most of these apps are ones I uninstalled long ago.

If you go into Privacy under Settings and select/deselect the backup checkbox it will ask you if you want to delete all the backups on Google's servers. I've done this but it still restores all this junk I don't want every time I do a hard reset. I got around this by bypassing the Google sign-in during the initial setup wizard but now I'm afraid if I add my Google sign-in info it will once again restore this ancient and therefore useless backup.

Last edited:
I'm having issues with Google's backup services for Android.

I never quite figured out what the backup service did, I always checked the box when I installed a new ROM but it never seemed to pull down any data. Yesterday I flashed a new ROM and was quite surprised to be greeted by a familiar wallpaper and dozens of non-default apps automatically downloading through the Market.

The problem is this backup is not very recent, it doesn't seem like the Android backup feature works very well or frequently on my account - it's a wallpaper from months ago and most of these apps are ones I uninstalled long ago.

If you go into Privacy under Settings and select/deselect the backup checkbox it will ask you if you want to delete all the backups on Google's servers. I've done this but it still restores all this junk I don't want every time I do a hard reset. I got around this by bypassing the Google sign-in during the initial setup wizard but now I'm afraid if I add my Google sign-in info it will once again restore this ancient and therefore useless backup.

It only works for aosp based roms. If you've been using Sense, it doesn't back up to Googles servers.

Last edited:
It only works for aosp based roms. If you've been using Sense, it doesn't back up to Googles servers.

Nah, never really used a Sense-based ROM other than for messing about... and that was months ago.

I went ahead and added my Google sign-in info and luckily it didn't download the outdated backup stuff. But I'm fairly certain that backup is still on Google's servers and will be applied to my Android if I punch in my sign-in info during the initial setup wizard.

I'm afraid I'm going to buy the Samsung Galaxy S2
Dual Core
4,3'' Amoled screen.
Android 2.3
Ultra thin design

Uhhh yeah! :D

My phone kept running out of internal memory this weekend. I finally found the problem, huge crash dumps in /data/tombstones .

A quick rm *, and now I'm back to normal :)