The Android thread

I'm a HTC and Samsung guy. LG's high end stuff looks good but we haven't gotten any quite yet. (although with Revolution and G2X that'll change)

Motorola...I'm torn on. I'm a bit miffed at their position on bootloaders....but the hardware has always been fairly solid. If the Droid 3 truly does have stock Android and a unlockable/relockable bootloader a'la XOOM ... I'd consider it over the HTC Merge as the internal hardware would probably be better.

Woah, still CDMA Hero support? Do I want to try this again? :hmm:

I guess there's only time to lose with Titanium Backup and NANDroid.

Did you flash gapps? And make sure you use the right ones. Or is it something crazy like you have gapps and are signed in, but have no market? If that's the case, full wipe and try again.

NOW YOU TELL ME??? I'm already nandroiding back. Bah, it wasn't that remarkable anyway and it still lacks HTC Sense's polish and addons that I've grown used to. I'll wait for a Sense skin or the official HTC 2.3 rom.

I'll miss you, screen off animation. :(

NOW YOU TELL ME??? I'm already nandroiding back. Bah, it wasn't that remarkable anyway and it still lacks HTC Sense's polish and addons that I've grown used to. I'll wait for a Sense skin or the official HTC 2.3 rom.

I apologize for those agonizing 7 minutes you had to wait for a response :p

I'll try this on my Hero tonight. I just hope it doesn't go the way of 6.1 and degrade performance over time.

I hate the Sense camera, mostly because I can't delete photos from the viewer, I have to back out and go into the gallery. Another issue, though not the fault of Sense, is that when I swype the wrong word and double tap to select and alternate, the context menu come up on top of the word list. Other than that, while I'm a total CM fanboy, I don't really feel strongly compelled to flash it, unlike with the Captivate, which was completely ruined by Samsung.

The CM7 ROMs on the Nook are strangely missing that animation...

But yeah, you need to flash the Google apps separately. Some legal crap keeps them from preinstalling them.

I need a suggestion for a good looking clock + weather widget combo. Getting a bit bored with the stock HTC one.

I need a suggestion for a good looking clock + weather widget combo. Getting a bit bored with the stock HTC one.

All the combos look like HTC Sense ripoffs unfortunately...

Have you tried Fancy Widget? It was a Sense clone but then HTC went after them so now it's starkly non-Sense. :D

I know two people with Samsung phones (Captivate and Fascinate) and both are very happy with them, I'd have no qualms about getting one myself. HTC does seem to be the best option though. It goes against my nature to use a bloated UI overhaul like HTC Sense, but it's completely won me over after trying stock Android....

Count me in too.
Apart from a problematic GPS (that is fixable with some fiddling), I have no problems with my phone.
In fact, most of the things I had to hack are due to me having an i9000B and Samsung of Brazil not giving a shit about consumers, so user with the international version don?t have much to complaint about.
Granted it?s not the best Android phone out, but it?s not as bad as people believe it to be.

It has almost been a year since I got my Desire, my contract runs out in 7 weeks or so. I have been looking at a new phone, but there isn't anything in the pipeline that really excites me. The Desire S or the Incredible S seem to be small steps forward in some areas, while the Display actually got worse. Which phones are really good at the moment, while being the same size or smaller than my current Desire?

I was perusing my fb wall this morning, there may have been a slightly interesting "girls in yoga pants pic" I clicked on it, "vodafone has blocked this restricted content, contact vodafone if youre over 18 for access." <_<

Also swype is being a bitch, it never works anymore.

Beautiful widgets is a great set, but it's not free. Several different layouts and tons of skins, actively worked on.

It has almost been a year since I got my Desire, my contract runs out in 7 weeks or so. I have been looking at a new phone, but there isn't anything in the pipeline that really excites me. The Desire S or the Incredible S seem to be small steps forward in some areas, while the Display actually got worse. Which phones are really good at the moment, while being the same size or smaller than my current Desire?

It's really lame that the new Desire variants got different screens from one another, but he Inspire got the good one, so I'm not too upset :p

The Inspire only costs $480 on ebay unlocked, that is ?400 with shipping and VAT. Actually quite cheap, shame that it is a bit too large for me and its only advantage over the Desire is a bit more ram.

It's $400usd from AT&T, though to do that you'd need to get someone here to buy and mail it. Have you handled it before? Even though it's a few mm wider than the Captivate, I find it easier to hold and use while reaching across the screen or tapping the home button, seemingly in part to the added heft. It feels balanced and planted in the hand.

$400? Now it gets even more tempting :hmm: I need to work out how much I would save, if I switch to a sim-only contract, compared to a normal contract. A problem is though that I don't know how much I will be using my phone from next month onwards, as I will start to work, which probably means fewer phone calls. I will postpone a decision to late April early May.

I was perusing my fb wall this morning, there may have been a slightly interesting "girls in yoga pants pic" I clicked on it, "vodafone has blocked this restricted content, contact vodafone if youre over 18 for access." <_<

Also swype is being a bitch, it never works anymore.

Are you using the official version or a hacked apk?