The Android thread

I enjoyed the 'curved edges' part, thats how tablets fit in your hands.
What do Apple expect other tablet manufacturers to have, right angle sides?

Having just bought a Galaxy Tab, I can see Apple's point with the grid of icons. In the app drawer, the Samsung apps are all designed to look like iOS icons and the non-Samsung icons are shown in front of brightly-coloured square backgrounds so that they look like iOS icons too.

You can't please everybody at once. The phones suffer from a lot of fragmentation due to its openness, but as soon as Google withholds the Honeycomb source until they can fix the phone parts of it so we don't end up with another OS/platform mismatch like in the case of pre-Honeycomb Android and tablets (discounting HTC, they actually managed to pull it off, but would still benefit from the fragment UI element), all the nerds get in a huff how it's not open source anymore, blah dee blah dee blah!

*facepalm*

Sony S1 and S2 dual-screen Honeycomb tablets get official

s1-s2-04262011.jpg

Sony's hosting a press event in Tokyo today where it just made the first announcement: a pair of Android 3.0 tablets -- yes, the very two Honeycomb slabs we told you about exclusively back in February. The first is the Qriocity-focused 9.4-inch S1 media tablet with both front- and rear-facing cameras and a curved wrap design that resembles a folded magazine. The S1 features a Tegra 2 SoC and customized "Quick and Smooth" touch panel UI with "Swift" web browser. It can also be used as a remote control for Sony gear thanks to integrated infrared.

The second tablet is the dual-screen S2 clamshell with its pair of 5.5-inch 1,024 x 480 pixel displays, Tegra 2 SoC, and camera. While it sounds bulky, Kunimasa Suzuki just pulled the hinged tablet from his jacket pocket on stage. Sony takes advantage of the two screens with a custom book-style UI layout for its e-reader app, split keyboard and messaging displays for email, and split display and game controllers for PS One gaming. Both the S1 and S2 are PlayStation Certified, support DLNA, and are WiFi and 3G/4G "compatible" according to Sony. See the Sony tablets codenamed "S1" and "S2" in action after the break on their way to a global release in the fall -- possibly sooner in the US.

P.S. While the company isn't ready to talk prices yet, our sources told us back in February that Sony was considering a $599 MSRP on the S1 while the S2 would likely come in at $699. Still no word on the Windows 7 slider but with the other two leaks official, it's now only a matter of time.

Source - http://www.engadget.com/2011/04/26/sony-to-launch-two-honeycomb-tablets/

Aside from an estimated price, i like it :cool:

Not sure if I like the dual screen setup.

They'll have to be careful about lawsuits, which may lead to an inferior product unless they have some fancy idea up their sleeves.

Having installed a bunch of apps on my new Xoom on the Android App store, is it just me or is the full suite of Angry Birds (regular game, seasons and Rio) all free? I thought it was just the lite versions, but that doesn't appear to be the case? Not that I'm complaining! :D

Yep, they're all free on Android, supported by adds. Adds that can be blocked by another free app in the market, if rooted.

Amazon has also offered ad-free versions for free on occasion, normally a dollar or two.

adblocker.

I use AdFree, but I actually installed it to enable ads (my ROM had them blocked). The reason being most apps that have ads look bad with ads disabled since you get some wasted empty space with a question mark in the middle of it.

You almost have to disable them for Angry Birds though since they have the most annoying placement ever. But as far as I can tell Rio doesn't have any ads in the levels.

That may be what I was thinking of.