The Android thread

Its certainly not a cheap piece of kit.

Its certainly not a cheap piece of kit.

Not really expensive either, any high end smartphone will cost that much unlocked. I paid over $900 I think for my original HD2 in December of '09.

Not much discussion about Honeycomb and Android tablets in general here, so I thought I'd bring in a question.

My mom has had an iPad for quite a while now, long enough for me to decide I want a tablet as well. But for me, it's going to be Honeycomb for multiple reasons. I think now is the time one can actually look around and get one of the things, since Google finally seems to be putting some efforts behind the platform, and with multiple devices hitting the market this year, the software situation should drastically improve as well (actually, one of my reasons for a Honeycomb tablet is app development). Now, there are two alternatives I'm considering at the moment: the Asus Eee Pad Transformer and the Acer Iconia Tab A500.

asus-eeepad-transformer1_501.jpg
Acer-Iconia-Tab-A500.jpg

My arguments so far for the two devices are:
Asus Eee Pad Transformer: IPS screen, lower price (without keyboard attachment) or keyboard attachment (don't really see the need, but want to try it out first).
Acer Iconia Tab: aluminum casing (a really nice thing to hold), availability - it's on the shelves here already.

The Xoom is pretty much out of it, for the simple reason of it being the same hardware as the two above for almost double the price. Another candidate would possibly be the Galaxy Tab 10.1" from Samsung, but I'm not sure about pricing nor availability.

So, here we go... Any ideas or comments on the matter are very welcome :)

I'd get the asus after reading a ton of reviews for both :)

Nope, but it more or less seals the deal on me getting a GS2, or even the Infuse if it comes to it. Engadget gave it a good review, which really surprised the hell out of me.

The Nexus S has a far better screen, the Desire HD has an abismal one, it's TFT, god knows why... Massive ghosting, low contrast and blacks are more light grey. It does have a nice aluminium unibody, better signal and gps performance and comes with HTC sense.

If I were you, I'd wait for another month for the Sensation to arrive.

Abysmal, no. The ghosting, I'll grant you that, but "Endurance Homescreen Scrolling" was never a great selling game anyway.

However, the SLCD displays that I have seen are too white, for want of a better word. The colours on the DHD display are very natural. And while it doesn't have AMOLED levels of black, they are still very good, more so than I was expecting. Light grey? No where near that. As for AMOLED...put it this way, if you had an AMOLED TV, you'd be complaining. Oversaturation is horrible. That said, some like that kinda thing.

To whoever asked the question, if you want to save money, head over to eBay and take a look at DHDs on there, then go on giffgaff. If you have more money to spend, wait for the Sensation, and if you can justify the price, go for it. eBay if you can afford the upfront cost, and then go on giffgaff, otherwise, contract. A Galaxy S2 is a cheaper option.

Also, look at rooting any of these devices. You will probably find that Sense is a bit slow, and CM7 along with other apps available on the market can produce some fantastic results.

Sent from my Desire HD

Last edited:
Gimme, gimme, gimme, gimme!!!!! :woot: :drool:

Now i'm one of the few that would rather get this than the SGSII :drool:

Since it's not coming to Rogers (and the SGSII will probably), will probably try to swap a BNIB SGSII for a BNIB HTC Sensation when the time comes :D

I'm now the proud owner of a Evo Shift (early graduation present :D ). I guess I need to start paying attention to this thread. :p

Yes, i'm one step closer to getting either the Incredible S or Atrix 4G. :cool:

Found a buyer for the 8220. Now just have to hunt down for a cheap BNIB Incredible S or Atrix 4G on craigslist and then i can start to find a buyer for my Xperia X10.

Has this been posted yet?

Angry Birds theme song cover by Pomplamoose. :lol:

Woot has a Velocity Micro Cruz R101 for $80 today. I grabbed one since it looks like xda has had their way with it, allowing my to try some ROMs and such. If it works well, it will likely be that start of my dream car stereo setup. If not, it'll just be something that I get in trouble for buying.

I know double posting is frowned upon, but this is extremely important:

I have a working recovery!

I opened up ROM manager and it notified me of an update to CWM. I figured I'd give it a hot, but it never worked before so I had no real hope of it working. But then, by the grace of the Great Android in the sky, it successfully completed, and I was able to boot into CWM. I am extremely excited. Flashing CM 7 now.

Also, I think I'm going to cancel the tablet order. I realized that it won't really work in my car unless I was to actually mod the console or something equally creative and time consuming, and I have zero use for it at home.

If any of the retailers in Belgium offered an Eee Pad Transformer I'd buy one in a heartbeat. Unfortunately they aren't availble yet.

Edit: 911 posts yay :p

Last edited:
If any of the retailers in Belgium offered an Eee Pad Transformer I'd buy one in a heartbeat. Unfortunately there they aren't availble yet.

The 32GB model is just starting to roll in around here... demand is a lot less for it though, I was told one store had 30 people waiting on the 32GB and 200+ people on the 16GB.