The Android thread

apologies if this is a repost:

Google Fixes Android Glitch That Affected '99 Percent' of Devices

Google said Wednesday that it has fixed a security glitch that reportedly opened up 99 percent of Android-based devices to a security breach.

"Today we're starting to roll out a fix which addresses a potential security flaw that could, under certain circumstances, allow a third party access to data available in calendar and contacts," a Google spokesperson told PCMag. "This fix requires no action from users and will roll out globally over the next few days."

Google would not say what percentage of devices were actually affected.

For the Aussies, Telstra should have the Desire S and Wildfire S available from next tuesday. The Sensation is rumoured to be launched by Telstra within the next few weeks.

It's here, finally! Just updated to 2.36, now to go digging for new features.

Finally I get Gingerbread.
The Sensation is out today, this update softens the blow.

EDIT: Vodafone only, who announced the Sensation release.
mellow.gif

Also Swype doesn't work, you have to uninstall and redownload.

Last edited:
Thanks Rovio for finally adding the May levels to Rio on the 22nd day of the month!

I'm still wondering if a dual-core phone is really worth the premium at the moment - Can't shake the feeling that as much as I want a GS2 the Xperia Arc, Incredible S or Desire S will do everything I need.

My plans of buying the GS2 have kinda gone out the window since the stores have decided to magically jack the price up by a fair whack over their original listing (I refuse to pay an extra $150-$200 just because its a new model in limited supply, not to mention no warranty).

I'm really just looking for something with better graphics power and more built-in space for apps (really don't want to have to muck around with A2SD, etc). I don't do hardcore gaming and watch HD videos 24/7, but I do want something reasonably speedy.

Or maybe I'll just buy a Nexus S (despite some shortcomings) and never worry about updates lol.

Last edited:
Or maybe I'll just buy a Nexus S (despite some shortcomings) and never worry about updates lol.

That?s what I am nearly doing right now.
Surely the fact that Samsung doesn?t give a flying fuck about the users (specially those with phones only sold in a couple of countries, like me) helps the decision.

Nexus phone are appealing, but the Nexus S is meh to me. They need a new Nexus phone methinks.

The Sensation should have been the next Nexus.

Yeah, but HTC wouldn't put out their flagship without Sense UI. Maybe we'll see a de-Sensed version later kind of like Nexus One vs. Desire (though N1 came out first I think?).

My GS2 is finally on its way to me! If all goes well, I will have it sometime Tuesday

Yeah, but HTC wouldn't put out their flagship without Sense UI. Maybe we'll see a de-Sensed version later kind of like Nexus One vs. Desire (though N1 came out first I think?).

N1 did come first and was the HTC flagship until Desire came around, which was a short while later. I think it's just that Google doesn't want to only associate their Nexus range with one manufacturer to keep the Android diversity going.

That?s what I am nearly doing right now.
Surely the fact that Samsung doesn?t give a flying fuck about the users (specially those with phones only sold in a couple of countries, like me) helps the decision.

Last I heard the Gingerbread update for the Galaxys still isn't fully rolled out?

Nexus phone are appealing, but the Nexus S is meh to me. They need a new Nexus phone methinks.

It'd still be a good upgrade over the Desire, and could hold me off until a dual-core Nexus comes along :drool: Word is LG might be the next Nexus manufacturer.

The NS certainly isn't the "flagship" the nexus one was, but its still a nice phone overall.

Last edited:
Last I heard the Gingerbread update for the Galaxys still isn't fully rolled out?

They started rolling it out in Finland or something and after a few days rolled back the whole thing.
Mine, being an i9000B, will take even longer.

My dad got the Incredible S today. Wow Sense has gotten bloated...

I totally agree. The fact that theres even more of it now only makes me want a non-HTC Android phone. Stock Gingerbread is absolutely fantastic.