The Android thread

I totally agree. The fact that theres even more of it now only makes me want a non-HTC Android phone. Stock Gingerbread is absolutely fantastic.

This. Sense was okish on the Hero but 2 and 3 are just too much in terms of the launcher/homescreens. Sense/TF3D will always hold a special place in my heart on Win Mo though:

HTC%2BHD2%2BFroyo.jpg

I have to disagree. I've bought several non-HTC devices with Android and every time I've found myself scouring the Market to find things that are like the widgets you get in Sense.

Sense is certainly a marketing advantage for HTC though. I still don't find sense to be tbh...

I've bought several non-HTC devices with Android and every time I've found myself scouring the Market to find things that are like the widgets you get in Sense.

Agreed. When I was running CM7 I found myself scouring the market place for widgets which Sense already has.

Last edited:
I didn't really like anything about Sense on the Inspire. So much happier with CM7.

Sense was a really nice addition to Android 1.5-2.1, even 2.2, on my Hero. But 2.3 was the final nail in the coffin for me. I really don't miss anything.

Sense was a really nice addition to Android 1.5-2.1, even 2.2, on my Hero. But 2.3 was the final nail in the coffin for me. I really don't miss anything.

Why is that? Aside from the text selection stuff nothing new was added in terms of new features into 2.3 by Google that made Sense any more superfluous.

Personally I never liked Sense on Android too much but I thought I was in the minority, guess not.

I had trouble even finding a half decent bookmarks widget for my non-Sense devices. In the end I found that I couldn't get a good one unless I replaced the home launcher.

What they need to do is get the version of Sense that they had for the original Desire and port it over to Android 2.3. I believe that there is a custom ROM that does just that for the Desire, but it has yet to be ported to the HD2.

@Shawn - The new Sense on 2.3 has a lot of stuff that wasn't available on earlier versions of sense (like htcsense.com/htclikes app, the lockscreen widgets, the 3D cube homescreen animations, new app drawer, etc).

The other thing I'm not too crazy about is the WVGA 4.5" screen on the new Samsung phones like the Hercules. I wish they could have kept it at 4.0" or 4.3" or give it a qHD resolution (or both!).

Last edited:
The new Sense on 2.3 has a lot of stuff that wasn't available on earlier versions of sense (like htcsense.com/htclikes app, the lockscreen widgets, the 3D cube homescreen animations, new app drawer, etc).

I thought he meant it from a vanilla Android perspective, as in "Google finally made vanilla Android good enough with 2.3 that custom UIs like HTC Sense became unnecessary."

I thought he meant it from a vanilla Android perspective, as in "Google finally made vanilla Android good enough with 2.3 that custom UIs like HTC Sense became unnecessary."

2.3 visually isn't much different from 2.2 IMO. While I like stock Android, I do like the differentiation that a UI overlay provides. In semi-related news, I'm using launcher7 and loving it.

That's what I meant, except that I keep forgetting that I am not familiar with vanilla 2.3, only CyanogenMod 7 which is based on it. So a more correct statement would be that I now like CyanogenMod as much as I used to like Sense. The only thing I miss are the widgets but I didn't really use them anyway.

Loving my SGS2. Although I'm overwhelmed with the number of apps lol

HTC posted this on Facebook-

Update on Bootloaders

Thanks so much for providing feedback, we hear your concerns. Your satisfaction is a top priority for us and we're working hard to ensure you have great experiences with our phones. We're reviewing the issue and our policy around bootloaders and will provide more information soon. Thank you for your interest, support and willingness to share your feedback.

-Installs Zune PC software (b/c of fantastic UI)
-Finds out Zune is not compatible with Android (or anything besides Zune/WP7)
-:cry:
-Uninstall

-Installs Zune PC software (b/c of fantastic UI)
-Finds out Zune is not compatible with Android (or anything besides Zune/WP7)
-:cry:
-Uninstall

I use it for podcasts (only) and it's nice looking but feels sluggish and bloated compared to WMP12. They both use the same library and I have no problem syncing my DHD with WMP when it's connected as mass storage.

I always assume things, which usually ends badly.
Gingerbread or possibly Sense adds the 'Quick Settings' notification bar.
I'm always on wifi, I assumed that when I was on Wifi, the mobile network kind of auto-disabled. Now i've been turning either wifi or mobile network off when not needed and my battery life has increased significantly.

I use it for podcasts (only) and it's nice looking but feels sluggish and bloated compared to WMP12. They both use the same library and I have no problem syncing my DHD with WMP when it's connected as mass storage.

Yeah I mostly like it for the UI which is so much different from the usual iTunes clone(s). I'll have to try if it can recognize my mSD card.

I'm always on wifi, I assumed that when I was on Wifi, the mobile network kind of auto-disabled. Now i've been turning either wifi or mobile network off when not needed and my battery life has increased significantly.

http://www.appbrain.com/app/green-power-free-battery-saver/org.gpo.greenpower

Turns them off for you automatically/as needed. There are other apps (JuiceDefender) but I found this one to be the easiest to learn/use.

Same here, weird innit? Also despite having tasker I've never found myself turning the Wifi or mobile network off at night, not I have the quick settings though it's much easier. That probably says more about my laziness than anything else though. :lol:

so 2.3 came out for the Droid X. i have a 2 Global, which i got so i could use it overseas, but i'm still in the return window so should i switch to get gingerbread now? i love my phone, but gingrbread would make it so much better.