The Android thread

The recent mentioning of the Zune software here piqued my interest. I quite like it. Rather slick, sounds better than WMP(which seems odd to me), and is generally nice. My only issue is no widgets or alternate skins for the mini player.

hmm sounds better? is there some sound optimization settings perhaps? I know WMP has some but they're buried.

WMPs settings aren't exactly buried, in WMP11 and older they're a few clicks away in the view menu (enhancements) and in WMP12 they're actually easier to switch on, but you only get the option while in the 'Now Playing' mode.

I'm surprised Zune sounds better than WMP but since I only listen to podcasts in Zune there's no comparison for me, I'll have a play and see. I find the Zune interface very clumsy compared to WMP as nice as it looks.

Anyway, back to Android. I can't say I've noticed an improvement in the battery life on my Desire HD, and if there is any I'm putting it down to me switching off the WiFi and/or mobile network. The first day I updated I had to have the phone asleep most of the day to stop it dying so it's a minor improvement if anything.

Same here, weird innit? Also despite having tasker I've never found myself turning the Wifi or mobile network off at night, not I have the quick settings though it's much easier. That probably says more about my laziness than anything else though. :lol:

I've started turning them off in a night, nothing worse than 4am wordfued notifications. :lol:

?..............

What I dont like about gingerbread (might be sense), is the app list now has kind of page-breaks, scrolling takes longer.

Last edited:
I've started turning them off in a night, nothing worse than 4am wordfued notifications. :lol:

?..............

What I dont like about gingerbread (might be sense), is the app list now has kind of page-breaks, scrolling takes longer.

It's sense, they wanted it to make it behave as if there were pages of apps.

Modern phones turn themselves on when it's time to ring the alarm.

My previous handsets were Win Mo Classic phones. Although they too are supposed to turn on automatically, because it's Win Mo, I quickly learned not to trust it. :p

wpid-nexus-3-exclusive-techhog.jpg

Nexus 3 HTC prototype.

Bah, I much prefer the N1/Sensation type design.

I like it. I haven't been feeling HTC's design language since the HD2 basically, and this looks like a return to form.

Did the lawsuit(or was it just a potential one) that came up when Google announced the Nexus One name say that they can't use Nexus 7, or any Nexus # name?

I like it. I haven't been feeling HTC's design language since the HD2 basically, and this looks like a return to form.

I'm not seeing what's different. What happened to truly innovative designs from them. Stuff like HTC StarTrek (Cingular 3125):

cingular3125.jpg

cingular_3125.jpg

That was an innovative form factor, amazingly thin, my stepmom had one and loved it.

After 5 (ish) days with my first android device (SGS2), I question why I didn't jump on board earlier lol

I'm not seeing what's different. What happened to truly innovative designs from them. Stuff like HTC StarTrek (Cingular 3125):

There's only so much one can do with a slab touchscreen form factor though.

I'm not feeling like pulling images right now, but if you look at pictures of say the HD2 next to the N1 the differences in design language should be pretty clear. The HD2 has much cleaner and angular lines and used darker materials whereas the N1 and many other recent HTC phones look really rounded off and use a whole mishmash of colours and finishes on the body. Even phones like the original Droid Incredible which are pretty angular don't really please me either, what with the topographic battery cover and weird pink accents everywhere.

Gingerbread or the Sense update tried fucking me over... the Sense update seems plausable. 5 months of everything being fine and this fantastic thing happened.
I view my music by albums, but after the update it had decided to seperate some of the albums.
Album: The Who (had five tracks in it)
Album: The Who (had three tracks in it)
Album: The Who (the rest)

Tried Winamp, showed exactly the same. checked the basic on XP>right click> advanced summary and songs. Some had either random bitrates or no track numbers. Of course this didn't help.

Used an MP3 tag editor and found that 'Album Artist' was the cause. Why it decided to this I dunno, but it was annoying.

I have a question about my HTC Desire. I'm on the Telstra network and want to get rid of the all the crappy bloatware that they put on it. Now after reading about it I realise that I need to use a Goldcard but does that require rooting it first? Can I de-brand the phone without rooting it? And if the answer is no, how easy is it to root my Desire.