The Android thread

I keep them on all the time (wifi and mobile data switch depending on wifi connection) and gps only turns on when needed. I get more than a day of juice this way, which is enough for me.

That's a CM thing, idea taken from TouchWiz. You can have up to I think 8 buttons of your choice. You can even change the order and color.

I'm not an Android user (yet!), so let me get this straight: those are normally on all the time? :?

No, they can be turned on and off via the setting menu, or a widget that comes built in. He was asking our opinions on third party widgets with extended functionality.

No, they can be turned on and off via the setting menu, or a widget that comes built in. He was asking our opinions on third party widgets with extended functionality.

Ah, I see. What I'm used to on Symbian is that all three are turned off by default, but they will automatically switch on whenever a program requests them (with a prompt shown if requesting a data connection unless I've specifically assigned it one ahead of time). Can you configure Android to be like this without rooting it or using paid apps?

Not that I'm aware of. A lot of GPS programs will automatically bring up the GPS settings if it's turned off though, making it easy to turn on and then just press "back."

I leave mobile data on (unlimited plan) and turn on wifi when it's available. GPS comes on rarely, just whenever I happen to need it.

I had extended controls on my Desire on froyo and it was brilliant, but I don't think the developer has fully redone the widget for gingerbread as I get lots of "not supported on this version of android" messages.

The location of the power button on the Nexus S is pissing me off since I keep hitting it by accident when gaming. :lol:

Honestly, the best way I've found is something like Quick Settings (free). I don't need to toggle Wifi/GPS/etc. often enough that I need a widget for it, and when I do I just flick open the notification bar, click the Quick Settings button, and toggle it from there.

I've also reduced my homescreens to only 3 (and seriously considering 2), and I personally feel the human brain cannot focus on any more information than that anyways.

Last edited:
Is it Cyanogen that gives you the power controls in the notifications area or is this a feature of Gingerbread?

That's a CM thing, idea taken from TouchWiz.

I've been reading the User's Guide PDF for the HTC Sensation (just to make myself even more impatient for an Aussie release) and Sense 3.0 will have it too. It will also have a Recent Apps section in the Notification tray.

Honestly, the best way I've found is something like Quick Settings (free). I don't need to toggle Wifi/GPS/etc. often enough that I need a widget for it, and when I do I just flick open the notification bar, click the Quick Settings button, and toggle it from there.

I've also reduced my homescreens to only 3 (and seriously considering 2), and I personally feel the human brain cannot focus on any more information than that anyways.

I never had more than 3 homescreens. Currently I have only 2 and I really don?t feel the need to have more. :p

I've been reading the User's Guide PDF for the HTC Sensation (just to make myself even more impatient for an Aussie release) and Sense 3.0 will have it too. It will also have a Recent Apps section in the Notification tray.

The current Sense has this as well. Well, at least on my Inspire, it did.

I got tired of waiting for Verizon to push the update to my X so I downloaded the official Gingerbread update off of mydroidworld.com. I must say I like Gingerbread better than Froyo, a lot smoother and faster.

That one would be sense then, since this phone was on Froyo. At least I think it was.

Whichever Sense is on my Desire doesn't have it.

BTW, to everyone making do with only 2 or 3 homescreens- you clearly need to be enjoying more widgets. I have entire screens occupied by Sense's bookmarks, agenda and news/rss widgets.

Last edited:
I promised myself I would wait, but local reseller has one 16GB Eee Pad Transformer in stock and I just can't resist going and picking it up. :mrgreen:

Honeycomb really does seem buggy from what I've seen and read, but the Transformer is just such a good value from a hardware standpoint and the 3.0.1 update should help things. I guess I'll see.

Sweet, $399 for a Tegra 2 tablet is really a deal thats irresistable :D

Updates will help it along the way.

Sweet, $399 for a Tegra 2 tablet is really a deal thats irresistable :D

Updates will help it along the way.

Tiger Direct/Compusa are selling the Gtablet for $299 if you use . Its a Tegra 2 based one too, though the screen isn't as nice and its not running Honeycomb. Not worth getting unless you flash a new ROM on though. That said, I'm digging mine and its definitely fast. Only real downside is the lack of hardware accelaration for h.264 video files. Thats true of all the Tegra 2 tablets though.

Gtablet is officially part of the CyanogenMod development group, so it should have a long life span.

Here is the link.... http://www.compusa.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=7212231&sku=V18-0020

Sure it's cheap (could have a relative order it to their address since i'm in Canada) though i'm afraid i'm going to have to pass till summer rolls around (summer work).

That and i'm buying an Incredible S off someone (Brand New) for $400 (includes a little extra) today.

Offtopic - i love how this post made my total posts '404'

Galaxy S2 in hand! My 2nd Android phone :)

IMG_3398.jpg

IMG_3399.jpg

IMG_3400.jpg

IMG_3402.jpg

IMG_3408.jpg

Came from a Motorola Atrix before this (used for 1 month then sold; it had a bug that if you're streaming Sirius or anything that uses continuous data, 3G or WiFi makes no difference, the whole network connection drops and you can't revive it even by swithcing APN or changing to flight mode and back; you'd have to reboot.... No big deal for most users but annoying for me, so I got most of my money back):

IMG_3002.jpg

IMG_3003.jpg

IMG_3004.jpg

IMG_3005.jpg

IMG_3008.jpg

Wow, you can really see the difference between the 2 screens.... Honestly, I liked the Atrix's size, and the qHD resolution. I find the S2 to be a bit too big and too thin. Still, the Samsung has faster CPUs, Gingerbread, and that screen. Look at that screen!