The Android thread

Yeah, all the custom ones require an EXT partition on the SD card, which is too iffy a hack for HTC to touch. I wonder if I should do it or just upgrade to the Sensation...

Wait for the next Nexus?

Yeah, all the custom ones require an EXT partition on the SD card, which is too iffy a hack for HTC to touch. I wonder if I should do it or just upgrade to the Sensation...

I don't think I had to do anything like that on my Hero. Could the desire really have less RAM? Or do the custom ROMs still include Sense?

If you want Sense, yes. AOSP Gingerbread or even Cyanogenmod are much lighter. An official rom by HTC would require Sense, as that's their trademark and people who wait for official updates also expect their phones not to change drastically. They could do it by using the same version of Sense, only patching Android underneath, but most people would expect an updated Sense as well.

I've been messing around with Tasker and it's confusing the hell out of me. Does anyone here use it?

That update should be on my phone by now! I keep trying to update and it tells me there's nothing to update.

That update should be on my phone by now! I keep trying to update and it tells me there's nothing to update.

Android updates generally roll out OTA in waves....you'll get it in due time.

Yeah, the Market app. :cool:

How can people recommend apps if you don't say what you are looking for? If you just want something cool or interesting just go to the Market, pick a category and look at the top free or paid apps.

Easier to go to http://market.android.com. More comprehensive search (you could even use google search if you wanted) and apps automagically install on your phone when you click install.

But yeah, there's hundreds of thousands of apps and countless uses. Be specific, please.

Hmm..I'm looking for mostly apps that help you do stuff day to day like maps, organizers, some restaurant recommendations, movie listings, maybe throw in some games or gimmicky but cool apps in there as well.

Maps is pre-installed. Calendar is pre-installed. For restaurants you have foursquare, urbanspoon, etc... Movie listings... no clue, use the search. And again, you're being too vague.

I recommend getting Handcent to replace the standard SMS application. Handcent is very customisable and its free. You can even have different themes for different contacts. It doesn't actually change the functionality much, but it makes your phone a bit more fun to use.

I disagree. It's just an iphone sms app clone. Why would you want that in the first place?

Its much more than that. It has several different themes, they aren't all iPhone's bubble style. Also, unlike iPhone, which isn't customisable at all, you can change the colours of the fonts, bubbles and backgrounds in Handcent. Or you can have a picture in the background. Each contact's thread can be individually customised. you can ever change the colour that the notification LED flashes when you get a message.

Plus, it includes a pop-up window when messages arrive with a quick-reply box at the bottom. Unless the newer version of HTC Sense on the Incredible S has a different messages app than the Sense on my Desire, it doesn't have a pop-up like Handcent does.

Last edited:
Its much more than that. It has several different themes, they aren't all iPhone's bubble style. Also, unlike iPhone, which isn't customisable at all, you can change the colours of the fonts, bubbles and backgrounds in Handcent. Or you can have a picture in the background. Each contact's thread can be individually customised. you can ever change the colour that the notification LED flashes when you get a message.

Plus, it includes a pop-up window when messages arrive with a quick-reply box at the bottom. Unless the newer version of HTC Sense on the Incredible S has a different messages app than the Sense on my Desire, it doesn't have a pop-up like Handcent does.

I tried handscent then moved to gosms pro. has the same features but faster. You can select the app's running mode from full-featured, to normal, to lite depending on how you use it to lessen its memory footprint. Blazing fast in normal and lite mode :)

Simple question guys: Nexus S, yes or no? I'm upgrading form a 5 year old broken Nokia E50 ( god bless you ), so anything is only up.

What are your other choices besides the Nexus S? :p

But if you're wanting a yes or no, just get it! Can't go wrong with it :cool: