The Android thread

why the symbian hate :D
i have no problem with it. its the devices that make it bad.

'cause its crap. So much so that Nokia won't be using it any more soon. Nokia can make some pretty good handsets actually, but Symbian let them down.

I either ticked or unticked the fast boot option in the power saver menu, it has something to do with apps, which should it be?

Also theres a Drag Racing game in the market, its basically a flash game, but its kinda fun.

It also makes you unable to boot into recovery.

I need help!

How do I remove programs/apps from my phone? I have a sony ericsson x8 and I can remove stuff I've added but all the pre-installed crap I don't want I don't know how to get rid of, help :)

You probably can't remove them (not sure about Sony Ericsson specifically). Of course, with Android there's no such thing as impossible, so you can root the phone and use an application like Titanium Backup. Up to you if you want to try that, as it would require some research and technical knowledge. Ideally it's a one-time process and really isn't very difficult.

Here's the result of a quick Google. Rooting is relatively simple but requires some messing around with your PC.
http://www.xperia-x8.com/tutorial-how-to-root-sony-ericsson-xperia-x8/

Hmmm, thought so, It's not really a problem except for google talk, it starts on it's own every time I open the browser, really annoying.

You mean the app itself opens, or the process starts up if you look at an app manager? If it's the latter, it's not an issue, Android processes are used for programs other than the one it originates from.

Hmmm, thought so, It's not really a problem except for google talk, it starts on it's own every time I open the browser, really annoying.

I agree with smib above. And just to add from my experience: I experimented with removing system apps when I had Cyanogenmod ROM on my HTC Magic a while ago. Deleting Talk didn't go well, as it turns out, Market and other Google apps use its APIs; so basically I wrecked most of the Google integration by removing it.

https://pic.armedcats.net/i/ic/icebone/2011/06/20/malware_fake_market.png

Have a good, close look at the image above. That's how the latest piece of malware will be trying to trick you into installing it -- by trying to get you to believe you're at the Android Market. The malware is called GGTracker, and it will try to sign you up for premium text messaging, leading to extra charges on your cell phone bill.
The people over at Lookout came across it, and wanted to be sure we all share the not-so-good news about how this one operates. It happens when you click a malicious in-app advertisement -- your browser opens to the URL in the image, looking just like the Market, in hopes that you'll install the fake (in this case a Battery Saver app) application. Also spotted was a version that claims to be an adult app (com.space.sexypic). After you click to install it, you're directed to install via the download notification. For now, it doesn't appear that this one is in the Android Market -- which means it might stay around for a while.
There are three easy ways to prevent this:

1. Disable sideloading completely (or use AT&T as your carrier -- zing!)
  2. Use Lookout premium's Safe Browsing feature
  3. Pay attention to what's happening. The Android Market will never open in your browser. You'll also never be prompted to manually download an app from the Android Market.
This may be a no-brainer to many of us, but be sure to make your not-so-Android-savvy friends and family know. This comes with the territory folks. Combine popularity with the ability to install any apps you like, and there's bound to be an ^&$#*@! or two out there.

http://www.androidcentral.com/new-ggtracker-trojan-imitates-android-market-lure-you

SeekDroid is free in Amazon Appstore if any American's are interested...

My father has taken pocket dialing to the next level - pocket factory resetting :wall:

Ouch! yeah my dad does that all the time :lol:

You mean the app itself opens, or the process starts up if you look at an app manager? If it's the latter, it's not an issue, Android processes are used for programs other than the one it originates from.

It's the latter, it just annoys me but it seems like I'm going to have to live with it.

I agree with smib above. And just to add from my experience: I experimented with removing system apps when I had Cyanogenmod ROM on my HTC Magic a while ago. Deleting Talk didn't go well, as it turns out, Market and other Google apps use its APIs; so basically I wrecked most of the Google integration by removing it.

Damn google :p

Just updated to 2.3.3
About fucking time! :D

*goes to settings -> about phone*

Android version: 2.3.3

Guess having an old model does have its advantages :D

Unlike previous versions of CyanogenMod for me, it's stable too, current uptime 133 hours and that's probably only because I dropped it and the battery came out.