The Android thread

Almost all Android phones have an LED that either blinks or lights up to notify you of those things. Which phone do you have?

Samsung's latest devices don't have a notification light (he has the Nexus s) and it's one reason why I'm hesitant to buy a Droid Charge or Galaxy S II. -_-

Other manufacturers like motorola are jumping on this trend too. Annoying.

Really?!? What a pain in the arse. Does that include the GSII?

Really?!? What a pain in the arse. Does that include the GSII?

I'm trying to find out for sure....dunno if it does. It could easily be like the Omnia, which built the notification light into the power button.

Just tried it. It's quite useful, although I had to press home to unlock the phone instead of the power button. *looks in the settings to change that*

EDIT: found, under misc settings. :thumbup:

Last edited:
I seem to have unintentionally used only phones that don't have such notification (a couple of SEs, N95 and now SGS), so I don't miss this, but for those who do, there is NoLED and for SGS and Nexus S owners -- BLN free/pro. The latter doesn't work on stock kernels though.

NoLED found and installed. Gonna try and test it now, I fiddled with the settings, so let's see. =)

Anyone got any info on Winamp equalizers?

1. Uninstall Winamp
2. Install PowerAmp
3. ...
4. Profit? Errr... actually, no, since it's not free. :D

Well, shit. Rumors I've seen point to the next Nexus being Samsung, so possibly no notification LED again.

Well, shit. Rumors I've seen point to the next Nexus being Samsung, so possibly no notification LED again.

Not rumor, fact.
I can?t read. Sorry.

And NoLed looks fantastic! Thanks, guys!

Last edited:
Boo-urns. I really like the idea of an ICS phone with SAMOLED and quad-core goodness, but god damnit I want a notification light! Also, going back so Samsung build from HTC feels like it could be a mistake. Luckily I have until November before I can upgrade, so maybe HTC will come out with an AT&T Sensation with an OLED screen or something.

Boo-urns. I really like the idea of an ICS phone with SAMOLED and quad-core goodness, but god damnit I want a notification light! Also, going back so Samsung build from HTC feels like it could be a mistake. Luckily I have until November before I can upgrade, so maybe HTC will come out with an AT&T Sensation with an OLED screen or something.

I am sorry. I thought we were talking about the Nexus S being a Samsung device. I misread what you wrote.
Strongest rumor is that Google will make the next Nexus an LG, switching manufacturers with each new device.

EDIT: What is "ICS phone"?
And you can always install NoLed... :p

Last edited:
ICS = Ice Cream Sandwich, the next version of Android which will combine both tablet and phone variants under one build.

Ah, sure.
I now what Ice Cream Sandwich is, just haven?t read this acronym yet. :)

I'm stuck waiting for a carrier release of the Galaxy S II, it sucks but that's being on CDMA for ya! How is it so far?

But even the GSM version hasn't been announced in North America, not sure if you being on Verizon has anything to do with it.

I posted some thoughts on the SGSII here. Yes, it's not made of metal, it's got no notification LED and Samsung are stupid for ripping off Apple when they haven't the need to do so. But it's perfect otherwise.

I can't remember the last time I bought a new electronic that felt as zippy as this phone does running on the Exynos SoC (this includes my new i7 computer and Tegra 2 tablet). I've had the Samsung about 12 days now and everything still feels buttery smooth... and I really mean that, animations and stuff flow so smoothly it's incredible.

I would have preferred a slightly more weighty chassis; a dedicated camera shutter; all capacitive buttons instead of having the home button be a physical one just to match the iPhone; and that lack of a notification LED, though it was just something to consider for me and not an outright bother like it seems it is for many people here.

One thing I was surprised by is that I actually kind of like TouchWiz. In fact I might even prefer it over Sense because aside from the launcher, Samsung has only added stuff that needed to be added in... TouchWiz 3.0 looks more like vanilla Gingerbread that Sense 3.0 which goes a lot further in changing Android.

But I'm still looking to get rid of TouchWiz, it has one feature I cannot stand which is the app drawer they ripped off the iPhone. I find it very annoying because it lists apps by order in which they were installed and lets you manually sort them instead of doing them by the alphabet itself.