The Android thread

But even the GSM version hasn't been announced in North America, not sure if you being on Verizon has anything to do with it.

I posted some thoughts on the SGSII here. Yes, it's not made of metal, it's got no notification LED and Samsung are stupid for ripping off Apple when they haven't the need to do so. But it's perfect otherwise.

I can't remember the last time I bought a new electronic that felt as zippy as this phone does running on the Exynos SoC (this includes my new i7 computer and Tegra 2 tablet). I've had the Samsung about 12 days now and everything still feels buttery smooth... and I really mean that, animations and stuff flow so smoothly it's incredible.

I would have preferred a slightly more weighty chassis; a dedicated camera shutter; all capacitive buttons instead of having the home button be a physical one just to match the iPhone; and that lack of a notification LED, though it was just something to consider for me and not an outright bother like it seems it is for many people here.

One thing I was surprised by is that I actually kind of like TouchWiz. In fact I might even prefer it over Sense because aside from the launcher, Samsung has only added stuff that needed to be added in... TouchWiz 3.0 looks more like vanilla Gingerbread that Sense 3.0 which goes a lot further in changing Android.

But I'm still looking to get rid of TouchWiz, it has one feature I cannot stand which is the app drawer they ripped off the iPhone. I find it very annoying because it lists apps by order in which they were installed and lets you manually sort them instead of doing them by the alphabet itself.

Interesting stuff. Verizon was the last of the "big 4" US carriers to get a Galaxy S phone with the Fascinate. I'm hoping they wont do a repeat performance with Galaxy S II.

I guess not having a light's not too bad since there are workarounds, I'm just used to being able to look at a glance w/out needing to turn on the screen, or if I'm IMing in bed and get lazy and let the screen turn off...i can relax knowing that the light will blink and get my attention.

The reason you like (err...don't mind) TouchWiz is why I like it, as well as Motorola's latest MAP skin to a lesser extent. It's far less "weighty" visually than Sense, and I prefer the animations and scrolling kinetics on a TouchWiz phone over Sense. The optional update to the Galaxy Tab 10.1 is even more lightweight. One wouldn't be able to tell they were using a modified version of Honeycomb at first glance unless they were enthusiasts or saw a competing tablet that wasn't skinned right beside the Tab.

In the app drawer, you can change it to scroll list style. Hit menu while your in there to see sorting and display options.

Just my shit luck, I wait months and months and it's literally announced right after I buy one unlocked.

I was literally ready to buy a new phone in January but waited until last weekend. At least let me enjoy the thing for a month before every kid with $199 is running around with one. :cry:

This always happens. I force myself not to worry about it. I got my Hero right before Sprint released the Desire...

This always happens. I force myself not to worry about it. I got my Hero right before Sprint released the Desire...

Yeah, I guess you're right. But I mean I really would have appreciated more than 10 days worth of exclusivity considering how much I shelled out.

I was thinking of getting an iPhone 4 from my carrier and selling it for about $400 profit. I guess I'll go ahead with that plan now.

Yeah, I guess you're right. But I mean I really would have appreciated more than 10 days worth of exclusivity considering how much I shelled out.

I was thinking of getting an iPhone 4 from my carrier and selling it for about $400 profit. I guess I'll go ahead with that plan now.

I know someone who did this, I was very skeptical but it actually worked out perfectly.

I know someone who did this, I was very skeptical but it actually worked out perfectly.

Why would you be skeptical? As far as I know there's nothing even unethical about getting a phone on contract and selling it off.

I've been with the same carrier since '98, and never once gotten a subsidized handset from them yet. I think it's about time I start to take advantage of what I'm entitled to.

Why would you be skeptical? As far as I know there's nothing even unethical about getting a phone on contract and selling it off.

I've been with the same carrier since '98, and never once gotten a subsidized handset from them yet. I think it's about time I start to take advantage of what I'm entitled to.

I dunno, just seemed to good to be true. Obviously my fears were unwarranted.

I dunno, just seemed to good to be true. Obviously my fears were unwarranted.

Alright then, I thought maybe I was being completely naive and there was something wrong with this plan. :D

Does anybody here use OpenFeint? Is it worth activating and using when a game prompts me?

I used it ONCE. Still not sure about it.

Sprint never got the Desire.

Which carrier are you with Shawn?

Sprint never got the Desire.

Was U.S. Cellular that got it unfortunately.

Still thinking if i should install official Gingerbread through recovery or install some custom build of Gingerbread on my Incredible S.

I used it ONCE. Still not sure about it.

I initially thought it was just for connecting to friends for multiplayer, but then I was playing Fruit Ninja THD and realized you got achievements that OpenFeint probably kept track of.

But I still think it would be pointless to activate it unless you have people to connect with through it, which is why I asked if anyone here uses it. ;)

I'm on Fido, been with them since they were the only GSM carrier in all of North America!

I know Fido never gets decent phones, I was prepared to move to another carrier for a new Android phone. But I guess I won't have to now... even though I'm out a pretty big lump sum of money. :glare:

There is a rumor that Telus might get the HTC Holiday.

Huh, never heard of the Holiday until now.

Just looked up some rumours... I like it, it looks a lot like the HD2 from what I can see which is a definite plus in my book since I haven't liked any phone's aesthetics since the HD2 nearly as much as that.

I'd be interested to see how much of an improvement the MSM8660 is over the 8260 SoC used in the Sensation, I can't really figure out the difference looking at the specs.

Was U.S. Cellular that got it unfortunately.

US Cellular and other 3rd rate resellers of Sprint's network. Cox's best phone, for example, is the Desire... for 200$ up front. *facepalm* How am I supposed to sell this damn 1.5 year old phone for twice what a Nexus S or similar is going for on T-Mobile or Sprint?! *sigh*

I picked up an iPhone 4 from the Apple Store earlier. Looks like I might actually be able to sell it off for basically what the GSII cost me, so it seems things worked out for the best afterall... my preference wouldn't have been to leave Fido or go to Bell anyway.

But the more interesting part of this story, and the one pertinent to this thread, is that I finally have a data connection after buying my fourth smartphone. It's only $30 for 1GB, but it's nice and fast on Fido's HSPA+ network, I love Samsung for stuffing in all the radios unlike HTC who continue to insist on making regional models.

Last edited:
I was hoping my Eee Pad Transformer would've arrived by now but it hasn't :( tomorrow I leave on vacation so I won't be able to play with it untill I get back in 8 days (if it has arrived by then that is).

US Cellular and other 3rd rate resellers of Sprint's network. Cox's best phone, for example, is the Desire... for 200$ up front. *facepalm* How am I supposed to sell this damn 1.5 year old phone for twice what a Nexus S or similar is going for on T-Mobile or Sprint?! *sigh*

just don't sell it, since if may and will contain personal stuff after wipe (or so the security dudes claim!).

Went back to 2.2.2, rooted. Everything works finally. Before with CM7, maps, search, and even keyboard used to freeze up for no reason.

I can switch out my phone in december of this year. When and if I do, should I get the galaxy s 2? Or do you guys think something amazing will be out by then?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

The next Nexus should be out by then, to go along with 4.0, but other than that, I'm pretty much set on getting the GSII in November myself.