The Android thread

Went back to 2.2.2, rooted. Everything works finally. Before with CM7, maps, search, and even keyboard used to freeze up for no reason.

I can switch out my phone in december of this year. When and if I do, should I get the galaxy s 2? Or do you guys think something amazing will be out by then?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

If having a keyboard doesn't matter I'd recommend Galaxy S II or the next Nexus (If verizon would carry it...I doubt it, you know how Verizon is...:p) phone.

If you do require a keyboard, the Samsung slider should be out by then, if Droid 3's bootloader will be unencrypted after the fact a'la Atrix I'm tempted to try that tbh

If having a keyboard doesn't matter I'd recommend Galaxy S II or the next Nexus (If verizon would carry it...I doubt it, you know how Verizon is...:p) phone.

If you do require a keyboard, the Samsung slider should be out by then, if Droid 3's bootloader will be unencrypted after the fact a'la Atrix I'm tempted to try that tbh

I can use both. I forget... does the gs2 or the nexuses come with swype? I found that to be a little tricky to get used to when I first tried it out.

I can use both. I forget... does the gs2 or the nexuses come with swype? I found that to be a little tricky to get used to when I first tried it out.

Galaxy S II likely comes with Swype as a optional keyboard as Samsung installs Swype a lot of the time. (Omnia II was the first phone preloaded with Swype IIRC)

Nexus phones would never come with Swype or any other alternate keyboard option, as that wouldn't be a "pure Google" experience.

The GSII has Swype pre-installed, but pretty much anyone can get into the Swype beta program so you can get it on most Android devices pretty easily.

Also, I acquired GrooVe IP and now my WiFi tablet is a bona fide cell phone... uh, when there's WiFi nearby that is. :cool:

So...after some time with the Nexus, I do have some observations. First of all, I do love it. It's just such a nice user experience and it's fast at taking care of business. It's stylish, has a friendly user interface and it runs smoothly.

The only gripe I have with it are the apps. Not a lack there of...but constant running. I had to download Advanced task killer (ATK), because even after you think you exited an x app, it's still running somewhere in the background.

Everytime I go into ATK it has atleast 4 to 7 apps running, most of them, I haven't even started up from the last time I forced them to stop. Mainly that's Facebook for Android, Astro manager, Maps, Gmail (da fuck?), Winamp...and more.

I'm getting tired of having to check the phone every 5 minutes to kill apps, because it seems to me that it's taking the edge of phone performance and battery lifetime.

Get rid of the task killer. Android kills the apps itself. When they're in the background, they're not using any CPU (unless they have background tasks like playing music) or battery. They're only in the ram, which doesn't draw any more power than if it were empty. Task killers should be banned from the market. Uninstall it now, please.

Don't use a task killer. You are killing performance and battery life by doing it. Android learns how to manage memory and when to kill processes based on your usage. By killing apps off, you are relying on the phone having to reopen those apps, and possibly any processes associated with them. It also means Android's own task management is working overtime to figure out what to do, due to the way that is active. When a task is running in the background, it is just held in memory; no effect on performance or battery life.

Android's task management is very smart, use it! If you want to kill apps actively because you have to, iOS is your friend :)

Sent from my Desire HD

EDIT: Ninja'd to it!

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice, I'm new to Android and I figured that all of that crap running in the background is doing unwanted stuff.

So, when I see Facebook running in the ATK, it doesn't mean that I'm show online or that it's connected to the internet? It's just shown there?

It's so frequently used apps start up faster. I don't know about facebook, though.

That should be for the process that keeps Facebook checking. Every time you kill it, you are using more power as it will reopen immediately, as it is required!

Whether you are online or not depends on whether or not you have it logged in in the chat section or not. It is logged in by default.

Also, to help battery life, how often is your phone checking Facebook? Take advantage of push where you can :)

Sent from my Desire HD

First thing I did after rooting was to rm -rf facebook.apk and .odex.

Wait so you removed facebook? And what's .odex?

Galaxy S II likely comes with Swype as a optional keyboard as Samsung installs Swype a lot of the time. (Omnia II was the first phone preloaded with Swype IIRC)

Nexus phones would never come with Swype or any other alternate keyboard option, as that wouldn't be a "pure Google" experience.

Sweet. Thanks Shawn also for confirming. I eagerly await the gs2 then.

No, cause I don't have S-Off root on the Desire (did it before that was an option), so I can only mount system with write privileges from recovery. ;)

lp: Yup. I stopped using that shit almost 2 years ago. Never looked back. .odex is an additional file with system preferences or something like that, I dunno... :p

Last edited:
After all my hating on the Droid 3...this is pretty embarrassing but..

I'm actually considering one now:eek:

If you own a European Sensation, check for updates, according to Adunaphel, the UI has been sped up quite a lot.

2.3.4 on my SGS2 has noticeably improved the battery life, and Talk Video chat is fun, albeit useless (all video chat is useless on a phone for me as I have zero need for it)

However Messaging you can now only change the background from Black to White, all the themes are gone.. which makes David sad :(

Last edited:
MIUI is amazing, buttery smooth on my Droid 1. :)