The Android thread

According to HTC's Facebook page, they will be upgrading at least the following phones- Sensation, Sensation XL, Sensation XE, Rezound, EVO 3D, EVO Design 4G and Amaze 4G, to Android 4.0 . It should happen early next year. They are still looking at which older phones can handle the upgrade.

Sorry for being an obtuse and otherwise ignorant hick, but when is ICS due to be avaliable to let's say my Nexus?

Sorry for being an obtuse and otherwise ignorant hick, but when is ICS due to be avaliable to let's say my Nexus?
If it's a Nexus S, soon. A Nexus One - never, HTC claim its hardware isn't good enough (in other words: as soon as the source is released, modders will get it done in no time).

I predict that the Nexus One (and Desire by correlation) will need a ROM remap to increase the system partition to fit ICS, which would decrease the cache and app partitions, meaning the rom will have to be first modded to completely move all apps to an ext partition on the sd card.

HOWEVER. Since the Nexus One won't be getting an official release, there are high doubts that hardware acceleration will work. :(

I predict that the Nexus One (and Desire by correlation) will need a ROM remap to increase the system partition to fit ICS, which would decrease the cache and app partitions, meaning the rom will have to be first modded to completely move all apps to an ext partition on the sd card.

HOWEVER. Since the Nexus One won't be getting an official release, there are high doubts that hardware acceleration will work. :(
Early ICS pre-alphas for the HD2 live off a 180MB system partition, which is on par with current HTC Sense ROMs.

Hardware accelleration indeed does not work so far. In fact, apart from booting and using the touchscreen pretty much nothing works so far.

Yeah, source is needed for any more progress to be made. 10 more days. :)

Yeah, source is needed for any more progress to be made. 10 more days. :)
Once the source is out we'll see how much the driver interfaces have changed. The vanilla Linux kernel did not make too many changes regarding driver design since Gingerbread came out, so Gingerbread drivers should load in ICS after a recompile. If ICS's libraries can make any use of them is another question.

I'm REALLY hoping that HTC officially updates the S-Line (Incredible S, Desire S etc...) to ICS well mostly because i have a Incredible S :p

If not, well let's just say it'll be RAZR sharp. :D

I was finally able to root my LG Revolution since they got around to giving us the 2.3.4 updates. Soooooo much better now!

I still regret buying this phone (should have gone dual core) but my hunch is that by the time I am able to upgrade, in roughly 18 months, a lot of the major issues with Android phones will be sorted (primarily battery life and standards between makers).

So my phone is rooted. Let's say phone upgrade time rolls around (10th of December for me), and I head over to a local Verizon store to get the new phone:

1. Will they ask for my old phone for any reason?
2. If they do, would they somehow figure out it's rooted, and would I face some repercussions as a result? (Like not being able to get the new phone)

I'm REALLY hoping that HTC officially updates the S-Line (Incredible S, Desire S etc...) to ICS well mostly because i have a Incredible S :p

If not, well let's just say it'll be RAZR sharp. :D

I honestly don't know why they wouldn't, especially since it's also on Verizon (different cell radios..sure, but it's still kinda important as far as a device goes in VZW's lineup)

Talk about a fragmented mess of an ecosystem.

It's not as bad as people (and some handily biased "upgrade progress charts") would make out. I equate Android very much like say a desktop OS. There comes a point when your PC just can't run windows version X or what not. Granted some Android devices do get thrown under the bus unfairly when it comes to upgrades, but most everyone's been getting a lot smoother when it comes to updates. Motorola seem to have gotten their act together. Ditto HTC and (at least in international markets where they aren't hamstrung by carriers) Samsung.

So my phone is rooted. Let's say phone upgrade time rolls around (10th of December for me), and I head over to a local Verizon store to get the new phone:

1. Will they ask for my old phone for any reason?
2. If they do, would they somehow figure out it's rooted, and would I face some repercussions as a result? (Like not being able to get the new phone)

No, you'll never be asked for your old phone. You get to keep the phone so you can do whatever you like with it: keep it as a spare or sell or give away.

No, if you were asked for your old phone (which they won't do) they wouldn't stop you from buying the new device at all. Money is money. If you had a hardware issue with the old phone and were bringing it in to be repaired or start a warranty claim, and they somehow detect it was rooted, the device wouldn't be covered under warranty.

It's Verizon, not some dictator. :p

C'mon guys, ofc it's the S :p It's even in my bloody signature :lol:

We're talking this month soon, or next year soon? I'd like to give the phone a fair chance, perhaps it'll smooth it out, make it work nicer. Otherwise, hello custom roms and mods.

HTC-Edge.jpg

Pocketnow said:
HTC Edge: First Quad-Core Phone Revealed

Meet the HTC Edge: reportedly the company's first -- and probably one of the world's first -- cellphone powered by a quad-core processor. Information from a reliable source paints Edge as a premium handset incorporating the latest mobile technologies -- for the most part.

The 4.7-inch Edge will allegedly be slightly over ten millimeters thick, and appears to be very much the successor to the just-unveiled Rezound/Vigor, as it should feature the same 720p resolution, 1GB of RAM, and backlit eight-megapixel camera with 28-millimeter, f/2.2 lens. The major improvement, then, would be Edge's supposed AP30 Tegra 3 CPU from Nvidia, which offers four 1.5GHz cores to Rezound's two. Internal storage will likely be bumped to 32GB, while the Bluetooth radio should hit version 4.0. Naturally, Beats Audio enhancements would be part of the package.

Edge may also see the rollout of new or improved HTC content services, such as the previously tipped HTC Listen music store, HTC Read bookstore, and HTC Play gaming hub; the HTC Watch movie portal will reportedly begin to offer HD fare. Additionally, Edge could be one of the first Sense 4.0 devices.

One thing that wasn't mentioned was LTE capability, with Edge only said to support 21Mbps HSDPA; it's possible that carrier-specific variants will still offer this highly-desired functionality. Also absent was mention of a specific version of Android, although if it doesn't ship with Ice Cream Sandwich (fairly unlikely), an upgrade would surely be deployed in short order.

We're expecting Edge to arrive in late Q1/early Q2 of next year.

I almost like the design. I wonder how big it is, those side bezels look to be as big as ever.

If the screen really is 4.7" (the thickness confirms it), according to my photoshop math, it's 120mm tall, 74.4mm wide and 10.4mm thick. A bit shorter and wider than the Desire HD. More screen per phone.

Last edited:
I was wondering if there was a way to port the droid razr 2.3.5 stock browser to other devices as it's blazing fast.

41770.png

41771.png

Even my S2 running @ 1.452Ghz (2.3.5) can only reach 2900ms and 75,000 browsermarks in each benchmark.

...or would that not be possible because the razr browser is optimized for its CPU and GPU and won't work on exynos? I was wondering if there was a way to port the droid razr 2.3.5 stock browser to other devices as it's blazing fast.

Last edited:

I have a feeling I'll be as disappointed with kal el as much as I was disappointed with Tegra2. Although the CPU looks to be leaps and bounds faster, the SoC GPU looks just about the same as the Mali400 (check out the dark green bar in between the light green and yellow for the 3D score)

386023_10150461636105185_564300184_10913672_923031178_n.jpg

(that's my S2 running @ 1.452ghz)

This means that the GPU would be comparable to the Mali400 on the Galaxy S2/Note/tab 7.0. This is by no means a slow GPU but I actually expected more from nvidia since they are primarily a hardware graphics company, plus the iphone4S is running on the PowerVR SGX543Mp2 which is already 2 times faster than the Mali400.

read more here
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4971/apple-iphone-4s-review-att-verizon/6
41965.png

cmon nvidia, you can do better than this! Maybe I'll just wait for the Mali800(?) rumoured for the the GalaxyS3 :p

Last edited: