The Android thread

Rumours abound of a feature called HTC Speak being unveiled at Mobile World Congress. It was supposedly spotted in the leaked ROM of the HTC Edge/Endeavour, which may be going to market under the name HTC One[SUP]x[/SUP]. The name HTC One[SUP]s[/SUP] has also been suggested as the branding for the HTC Ville, so there may end up being a family of "One" phones like Samsung's Galaxy series.

So what will HTC Speak be? A SIRI-like personal assistant? A VIOP application?

Definitely not VoIP. The carriers would hack their balls off.

I'd like to update the OS on my Galaxy S i9000 for one last time before I replace it with something new at some point in the future. I'm currently running Froyo. There obviously won't be an official ICS release, so what's the best third party option right now? I'm pretty lost in the jungle of manual ICS ports and other mods. I'll happily wait if a stable mod based on ICS is to be expected soon-ish. What I'd love to have is a completely stable and fully developed version, not a beta with loads of bugs. I'd gladly accept a mod based on a slightly older Android version as long as it's trouble-free. Any hints?

As there are dozens or rivaling ICS ports, none of which fully work, I think it's best to stay with CyanogenMod 7/Gingerbread for now.

Last edited:
Well, you had to unlock the bootloader via unofficial means before loading a custom recovery.

Universal one click root -> install ROM Manager -> click install recovery. Does ROM Manager do that then?

Translation: They'll swap the board, the replacements still have GB on them, the can't be arsed to flash the update.

Got my phone back, and all they did was.......flash the phone back to GB and give me a new battery.

Last edited:
I've installed the p9 of the ICS port for the Nexus One, it has fixed quite a lot of issues and is now very much usable :)

The camera is still broken, but at least now I can login to Skype without having the phone reboot in the process :-D

Acer Iconia A200 quick review: when speed typing in dialog boxes like the one I am currently typing in, the display lags behind but it hasn't dropped a word on me yet. It feels slightly laggy, but that could just be because I'm used to my nexus. The screen is nice, the sound is decent, but I wish it had a HDMI out port.

I apparently never set my options to use the WYSIWYG editor. Might try the standard text box one but it really isn't a big deal. Now, to look for a micro USB to HDMI cord.

As there are dozens or rivaling ICS ports, none of which fully work, I think it's best to stay with CyanogenMod 7/Gingerbread for now.

I have an I900B, so your mileage may vary:
I updated yesterday to a version of CM9 modified to work on the B version and so far I had ZERO bugs and issues.
The two things it lacks is FM radio, which I don?t care about, and digital TV, which the I9000 never had in the first place.

With that said, HOLY FUCKING SHIT!
I feel like I upgraded to a newer faster phone.
GPS is faster, transitions are smooth, apps run great...I am in love all over again. :wub:

that would be one awkward device to hold.

They'd better make sure to put a non-slip backing. Or could've designed the left side with a bit of extra space for grip. The girl's cute, though :D