The Android thread

Ordered a Galaxy Nexus yesterday. Can't wait to get rid of my Desire. :) :)

I have a Droid X. Does that make me cool?

I have one too. It is sitting in my old electronics box. :p Waiting in case it needs to be used as a backup.

I liked the phone, I used it for almost 2 years. But the hardware was starting to show its age, so I replaced it with the Galaxy Nexus.

I haven't had any issues with mine. Always grabs a signal real quick like.

So, people that have the Galaxy Nexus:
How is the GPS? Has Samsung learned how to make a proper one?
My Galaxy S is still working fine but I am looking at buying the Nexus, so please chime in whoever has one.

Last edited:
I haven't had any issues with mine. Always grabs a signal real quick like.

Thank you.
Tomorrow I will check how much one would cost me on my current carrier. :)

Thank you.
Tomorrow I will check how much one would cost me on my current carrier. :)

A gazillionty million dollars? :p kidding.

Anyone else having occasional issues with wifi and ICS? Specifically, a tendancy to disconnect then reconnect at random?

Anyone else having occasional issues with wifi and ICS? Specifically, a tendancy to disconnect then reconnect at random?

yup, mostly after i move from one location and wifi to another without turning it off in between. usually turning off / on again fixes that...

None, so far, but I have found out the hard way that in some aspects my hacked HD2 seems to be superior to native hardware...

Does anyone have experience with connecting android to an ad-hoc wireless network?

A little background, my plan is this:

<internet> - <marina AP> - <powerful wifi antenna> - <laptop> - <ad-hoc network> - <android>

The first four steps work fine.

I'm 90% sure it works fine, but can double check when I get home this evening. I think I remember doing something similar, minus the giant boat.

Stupid Samsung, stupid Google, stupid stupid stupid. ICS is taking as long as Diablo 3 took to be released for devices :/
Well, I am using ICS right now ;)

I'm 90% sure it works fine, but can double check when I get home this evening. I think I remember doing something similar, minus the giant boat.

Everything works fine with an iPod or my Bada phone at the end, android refuses to connect. Not giant either, a bit over 10m / 34ft.

Does anyone have experience with connecting android to an ad-hoc wireless network?

A little background, my plan is this:

<internet> - <marina AP> - <powerful wifi antenna> - <laptop> - <ad-hoc network> - <android>

The first four steps work fine.

When I first got my Kindle Fire, it couldn't even see ad-hoc networks. But that turned out to be Amazon stupidity. Once I rooted it and installed CyanogenMod, it worked fine. Infact, its pretty much always leeching off my laptop's ad-hoc network since CMU's wifi is terrible to say the least.

Everything works fine with an iPod or my Bada phone at the end, android refuses to connect. Not giant either, a bit over 10m / 34ft.

Today I learned someone actually bought a Bada phone.....

My father has one. It's a rather nice piece of hardware, feels much more premium than the Galaxy S (which was the Android counterpart in the Samsung lineup at the time). Can't say much about the software, but he only uses it to make calls and read emails, nothing more, I have no idea why he got it in the first place.

:lol: It was the cheapest way back then to get a GPS-capable phone... combined with "free" offline navigation :shifty:
List price was 400, bought for 120 a few months after release, today amazon is still offering it - for 150 :lol:

Last edited:
My Galaxy S is still working fine but I am looking at buying the Nexus, so please chime in whoever has one.

It has never failed to pinpoint my location within 5 meters and is pretty quick.

No idea on the Galaxy Nexus, but it seems to work. The funny thing to me is that the crappyness of the Galaxy S GPS just seemed like a programming issue, since now that I'm on an ICS rom with a new Kernal, my Captivate(Galaxy S variant) hooks up to GPS very well. Night and day difference, so whatever they did with the kernal and rom it seems to have fixed it. Honestly, it was almost like getting a new phone and allowed me to wait for exactly what i want to replace my Cappy. Too bad I got welding spatter on it the other day that put a little pock mark in it. Still, its holding up fine and still keeps on kicking. Never used a case and have dropped it a bunch of times, laid on it while working on my truck and have generally abused it and its showing no signs of quitting anytime soon.

I'm still wanting to get a Galaxy Note, but have other expenses that come first. I've decided I'll just skip the step up in size and just go for the comically large phone. Nice thing is it has dropped almost $70 in price over the last few months, so maybe if I wait a bit longer the deals will get even better.

Last edited:
Google have filed a patent application for a sliding QWERTY phone.

Do it google, do it!

/my last hope seemingly enough....