The Android thread

That was my other choice.... damn now I can't decide!
Comparing them side by side told me they're very close

Sony has Android 4.2, Acer has 4.1
Sony has a single core, Acer has a dualcore
size/resolution/memory all identical
Sony has a better camera and has HD quality filming (which I'll probably never use)
Sony has DLNA (whatever that means), but Acer has voice control

Argghhh... not getting easier here

Acer has 4.2.2

That was my other choice.... damn now I can't decide!
Comparing them side by side told me they're very close

Sony has Android 4.2, Acer has 4.1
Sony has a single core, Acer has a dualcore
size/resolution/memory all identical
Sony has a better camera and has HD quality filming (which I'll probably never use)
Sony has DLNA (whatever that means), but Acer has voice control

Argghhh... not getting easier here

Get the Sony - It's a Sony so I'd wager there's a higher likelyhood of better community support + official software updates IMO. Personally the "dual-core" processor thing on a device like that is a gimmick, I'd have instead liked to see either come with more than 512k of RAM...that's REALLY tight on JB. Both devices have voice control through Google Voice Search and Typing, so there goes another supposed advantage of the Acer.

Maybe I'm jaded due to Acer's rep here in the USA but that's just me. For what's it's worth here's a link of what was added to 4.2: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_version_history#Android_4.2_Jelly_Bean_.28API_level_17.29

Maybe it'll make a difference in your buying process, maybe not?

Last edited:
^ now I know for sure I'll get the Acer :p

Thanks for clearing that up :p

Well... that rom was too good to be true. Without updating the firmware (which is a level of software even lower than radio - baseband), there would always be random reboots and signal drops, so today I decided to fix that. To update firmware, I first had to get s-off, and to get s-off, I first had to get SuperCID.

So that was a fun 4 hours. But now I have a stable 4.2.2 (and upgradable to 4.3 and even 4.4 perhaps) with Sense 5. Basically the same as before, but stable. WOO! It did wipe my phone, even the SD card, so I had to spend about half an hour getting everything back the way it was.

2013-11-09%2018.41.35.png

Rom even has OTA updates. :thumbup:

So I bought a Nexus 4, which is really nice (& cheap!). But there's a problem with it.
The clock on it runs fast (like 10 minutes every 8hours).
I tried setting it adjust the time automagically, but that makes it even worse strangely enough.
Tried doing a factory reset, but that didn't solve it either.
Anyone ever experienced something similar?

Some random sample pics shot on the N5 in all different lighting conditions, unprocessed:

IMG_20131108_200554.jpg

IMG_20131108_235101.jpg

IMG_20131109_165751.jpg

IMG_20131109_134429.jpg

IMG_20131108_200919.jpg

IMG_20131109_124222.jpg

That's odd... Did you buy it second hand? Could be a weird kernel.
No, store bought. Only thing ive done to it is installing the ota updates and some apps that were synched from my google account. I could root it & install clocksync but that would invalidate my warranty. Ill just wait for what the store says & rma it I guess.

No, store bought. Only thing ive done to it is installing the ota updates and some apps that were synched from my google account. I could root it & install clocksync but that would invalidate my warranty. Ill just wait for what the store says & rma it I guess.

Doesn't the smartphone clock sync to the mobile network towers, if the time keeps drifting forward, sounds like an issue with the network more than the phone hardware

- - - Updated - - -

Those of you running 4.4 and annoyed by the loss of the transparent status and nav bar while running a custom launcher like Nova, here's a way to partially restore it: You get semi-transparent status bar and fully transparent Nav bar

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=47348531&postcount=514

Hi i have modden NAV BAR and StatusBar for have transparent for ALL launcher..i build in in new updated 11nov from this rom ;)

Enjoy :)

Snakes

Screenshot_2013-11-11-15-39-29.png
Screenshot_2013-11-11-15-39-35.png

Download

I'm pretty sure there have been ways to have transparent whatevers for a long time now. I know I've done it on at least one AOKP ROM, and I think I can do it on the one I'm running now.

I'm pretty sure there have been ways to have transparent whatevers for a long time now. I know I've done it on at least one AOKP ROM, and I think I can do it on the one I'm running now.

Yes but with 4.4 being released, those old methods are not compatible and need to be updated. Plus you already know that 4.4 does transparency natively now, but the 3rd party launchers need to catch up.

Should I dump my HTC One and buy a Nexus 5?

I own both now, both phones are pretty equal performers and have different pros/cons when comparing to each other. What feature about the N5 attracts you most? Or do you just have money to burn and want to try the N5 for the heck of it?

I'm pretty cheesed that I won't be able to bring my One over if I switch to Tmobile. I do want the N5, but I love the One, and I'm surprisingly attached to the front speakers. I use them quite rarely, but they really are good enough that I'm always impressed and very happy with the sound. Also I <3 aluminum unibody. Such feel.