The Android thread

Motorola announce they will discount $150 off price any off contract Moto X for Cyber Monday sale

moto-x-app.jpg

Just bought one today with the discount. I have officially left BlackBerry. This is truly a sad day. Inevitable, but sad.

Just bought one today with the discount. I have officially left BlackBerry. This is truly a sad day. Inevitable, but sad.

Damn, I seriously didn't expect you to switch...what caused you to make the leap?

There were a few annoyances with BlackBerry 10, but nothing that was the end of the world.

The #1 reason I had to get rid of it though, was the keyboard.

Look at where the delete and send keys are located:

blackberry-10-keyboard-370x599.jpeg

Why would you put them on top of each other??? Who thought that was a good idea? I can't tell you how many times a day I send half-finished texts because I'm trying to delete something. Then I would try hard to concentrate on every exact touch on the keyboard so that I wouldn't have to deal with that, and then typing became 10x as long to do.

That along with always having to find a work-around way to do things, waiting for OS updates that are never going to come (I just don't feel like using a bootloader and updating myself, especially on a Mac), and hardware aspects I didn't like all meant it was time to leave.

I will say the BlackBerry Hub and being able to swipe up and peek at the Hub whenever I want no matter what I was doing is probably the most perfect thing for a smartphone I have ever used. They got that 100% right.

Anyway, my Moto X is being "built" right now according to Motorola. Its a bit wider than the BB Z10 so the keyboard is more comfortable for me to use. Can't wait to use it with my unlimited data Verizon wishes I didn't still have.

Last edited:
The stock Moto X keyboard (stock android by the looks of it) has that too...

Moto-X-Keyboard.jpeg

:bangin:

Right, except for thats the browser and not a text.

The text message layout looks like this:

keyboard_for_texting_screenshot.png

1) That's not the real Google keyboard, looks like a mock-up

2) This is what it looks like in texting:

2013-12-06%2000.50.04.png

But don't worry, it only adds a line break, won't send. ;)

Right. That is not a send button. That was my point.

Picked up action launcher on sale. Not bad at all.

Is it as awesome as action potato?

Is that Mr Potato Head's alter ego?

Lol

Tried Monday to get a MotoX DE. Website crapped itself. Tried Wednesday to get a regular unlocked one. Website wouldn't load on my phone... I'm thinking about just getting an Nexus 5 or an older iPhone 5. I'm so bloody tired of not having Bluetooth voice commands and I still abhor Touchwiz.

There were a few annoyances with BlackBerry 10, but nothing that was the end of the world.

The #1 reason I had to get rid of it though, was the keyboard.

Look at where the delete and send keys are located:

View attachment 11236

Why would you put them on top of each other??? Who thought that was a good idea? I can't tell you how many times a day I send half-finished texts because I'm trying to delete something. Then I would try hard to concentrate on every exact touch on the keyboard so that I wouldn't have to deal with that, and then typing became 10x as long to do.

That along with always having to find a work-around way to do things, waiting for OS updates that are never going to come (I just don't feel like using a bootloader and updating myself, especially on a Mac), and hardware aspects I didn't like all meant it was time to leave.

I will say the BlackBerry Hub and being able to swipe up and peek at the Hub whenever I want no matter what I was doing is probably the most perfect thing for a smartphone I have ever used. They got that 100% right.

Anyway, my Moto X is being "built" right now according to Motorola. Its a bit wider than the BB Z10 so the keyboard is more comfortable for me to use. Can't wait to use it with my unlimited data Verizon wishes I didn't still have.

I'm sure you'll enjoy Android (I have a Nexus 4 as a secondary device, and there are definitely things I enjoy about it far more than my Z30), but it's worth pointing out that the text message issue is easily resolved in the Hub settings:

IMG_20131049.png

Last edited:
ok....now I'm REALLy glad I live thousands of miles away from you and will never have to hear that come out of a phone :p