The Android thread

If it has a digitizer under it, it could maybe be used for some gesture commands, like it's possible on some other HTC phones running a custom rom. My old One S had slide left to power on and slide right to power off.

- - - Updated - - -

I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case, since LG and motorola have something similar going.

You should plug it in at around 20%, better for the health of the battery.

While we're on the topic of battery usage. I'm rather impressed with the G2 (yes, I still haven't changed over to the One - laziness...):

6ZiizSY.png

That's over 64 hours of my perfectly normal usage - over 3 hours of screen uptime, GPS/NFC/WiFi/BT constantly on (not always active though), having the phone with me on the go, listening so some Spotify etc. With a FullHD 5,2" screen.

If it has a digitizer under it, it could maybe be used for some gesture commands, like it's possible on some other HTC phones running a custom rom. My old One S had slide left to power on and slide right to power off.

- - - Updated - - -

I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case, since LG and motorola have something similar going.

Oh I didn't realise that was a thing.

This is how LG's doing it:

And Motorola:

I was actually wrong a bit, the Motorola uses other sensors to activate the Active Display, not the digitizer, but still, there's a trend emerging for phones to have something individual when it comes to the lockscreen/powering on. I quite liked the idea of the swipe to turn on in that custom rom, even though it didn't work 100% all the time. Makes it much easier to power the device on without contorting your hand to reach the power button on top.

Anyway, got two more renders leaks:

It's nice they're offering more colours at launch (grey, silver, gold, red and blue).

- - - Updated - - -

And I just found this app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.matthewma.swipehomebuttonfree

It lets you use the home button on many phones (and the HTC logo on the HTC One) as a "smart" button. Trying it out now.

Utterly strange that the kindle app is unsupported by all of my devices, N4, N7, Note 10.1, who exactly is their target market then, i have a 4, 7, and 10" device... trying out the apk to see if its just them being regionlock retarded or what.

That makes no sense...

Installed on the tablet just fine, sideloaded a mobi file cause it wasn't on the amazon account with a bit of trickery (paste into kindle folder) works like a charm

//I have a kindle, but this is a colored illustrated novel (discworld) and I wanted to read it right

Google Tango: experimental Android phone with built in Kinect-like system
Google's new Project Tango is a limited-run experimental phone that'll be handed out to 200 lucky developers next month. It's got Kinect-like vision and a revolutionary chipset to help it process what it sees, enabling phones to see the world in a whole new way. A bit like a really sophisticated Kinect in your phone. It's pretty nuts.

19gar9f8q96dgjpg.jpg

19gaq0hb8f8hqpng.png

Project Tango is a five-inch phone, but what sets it apart is its unique visual processing chipset. Developed by the startup Movidius, the Myriad 1 is the first implementation of the company's homegrown visual processing technology. The hardware is entirely proprietary, from the silicon layout, to the instruction set, to the software platform built on top. Basically, the Myriad 1 is capable of much more complex processing than your ordinary smartphone chip. In the words of CEO Remi El-Ouazzane, the goal is to "extract intelligence out of a scene."
In other words, the goal is to create a processor that sees not just depth and space but also objects and context. As El-Ouazzane points out, this higher-level visual processing has been accomplished computationally before, so what makes Movidius' chipset interesting is its 8mm x 8mm size.
Of course, all that power need more than the standard gyroscope, compass, and accelerometers. According to Google, Project Tango will also have a Kinect-like depth camera, a motion sensing camera, and two vision processors. We know that at least one of those is Movidius. What's the other?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't want a Kinect in my living/game rooms, I sure don't want it everywhere I go.

I don't want a Kinect in my living/game rooms, I sure don't want it everywhere I go.
Seconded. That's some scary stuff, given law enforcement backdoors in basically every piece of tech.

How can my GPS on the nexus be 76 km off every time I sit down on this afternoon train? Maps is thinking I'm already at the next stop, but we haven't started moving. Its been like this for three days straight. Works when I'm in the office though. Makes no sense.

Thanks for everybody that replied about the Nexus 5. Your comment made me very very close to order the phone from internet, but i have huge problems to buy anything so i didnt. :lol:

I think that i wait for new models to come now, if that drops prices of the older models.