The Android thread

How can my GPS on the nexus be 76 km off every time I sit down on this afternoon train? Maps is thinking I'm already at the next stop, but we haven't started moving. Its been like this for three days straight. Works when I'm in the office though. Makes no sense.
Do you have WiFi on the train? Maybe google tries to "improve" GPS accuracy by using WiFi and has the moving WiFi on the train wrongly mapped as a stationary AP at the station.

Galaxy S5 ROM is a bit of a monster, taking up nearly 8GB of storage

samsung-galaxy-s5-storage.jpg

We have to preface what we're about to show you with the following statement: Pre-release device, lacking carrier customizations, yadda yadda. But what you see here is the storage listing on the just-announced Samsung Galaxy S5.

And what you can see is that on the 16GB model of the Galaxy S5, half of the on-board storage is used up before the owner even turns on the phone. It's not quite as dire on the 32GB model of course (and remember that there's a little bit of funky math anyway, and you never get as much storage as manufacturers say), and Samsung will quickly tell you that's why you have the option to use a microSD card for expanded storage. It's something that we've seen before, and it's the same scenario. You need room for all those features and apps.

Is Samsung that full of bloatware? My acer is pretty close to stock Android 4.2.2 and is 1,1gb now, with 70ish apps included...

Anyone know why voice search won't work on my tablet? Any suggestions are welcomed. Cleared search and talk back data, and some updates.

Is Samsung that full of bloatware? My acer is pretty close to stock Android 4.2.2 and is 1,1gb now, with 70ish apps included...
A stock Nexus 5 will only use up 700MB and my HTC One with 4.4.2 is on 1.6GB, 300MB being a custom voice command app for car mode.
Anyone know why voice search won't work on my tablet? Any suggestions are welcomed. Cleared search and talk back data, and some updates.
Is your region set properly? Last time it didn't work for me was because I used morelocale2 to set my language to en-si, but setting it to en-us works like a dream.

As much as the battery widget reborn wants to make me believe that each % iscreated equal, it just isnt true! An hour of video lost me 20% yesterday (70-50%) which is fair since i have wifi and bt on constantly. Starting at 20% however (too low i know but i was chargerless) gave me a whole 5 minutes before dying completely...

Which meant exercising in total solitude and silence for 55 minutes...which is weird..

Tl,dr : the last 20% charge in your battery is essentially the last 5%. Charge up before then

That could very well be a miscalibrated battery measuring circuit, which happens after a while - the lithium batteries tend to degrade over time, dropping in voltage significantly faster near the end of their charge, leading the electronics to believe there's more juice left than there actually is. On the phones I rooted (HTC Magic and Desire) there was an option in the recovery to delete this calibration data, after that the charge was again displayed correctly (well, more correctly anyway) after a few full charge-discharge cycles.

My battery has juice? What kind is it??? :p

Yeah, I need a nap...

Nope, downgraded version works, Feb 7 update doesn't. Will keep the stock 4.1.1 version till they fix it.

someone was telling me voice search doesnt work unless you have US american launguage installed or set to it, otherwise it's hinky.

So I just installed CM on my Galaxy Nexus.

I am impressed how easy it was. All automated, click and go. Good job, guys.
Now let's wait for the final reboot and see how this thing is with CM running on it.

The G2 got its 4.4.2 update a week ago, skipping 4.3 altogether. I didn't quite think it was possible, but the battery life has improved even further. Again, this is with perfectly normal usage, a bit over 1h of screen time per day, all wireless stuff on and actively syncing, etc.:

UQC0nMa.png

Last edited:
Got prompted for a system update just now, it downloads, verifies, unzips and after the reboot it says "Update.zip is not correct". Ugh.

I got a software update for my Galaxy Ace II the other day that made it go from Android 4.0.4 to Android 4.0.4 B-)

[video=youtube;18LU5UtG5-M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18LU5UtG5-M[/video]

Skip to 6 minutes.

:itshappening:

I must admit I thought a working prototype would NEVER exist.