The Android thread

Pebble isn't actually an E-Ink display like a Kindle, it's an E-Paper display, meaning a very low power "memory" LCD display.

Refresh rates are thus very good:

I have a Pebble and I didn't realize it was that good. Very well then, more contrast and many more pixels, put in Moto 360(maybe screen would allow it to be a bit thinner?). I would buy fo sho.

How, why, what?
Either you never ever use your phone or that is massively wrong?

It's extremely accurate. :p Since I have the Nokia, I only use this for phone->aux->car radio. A month ago I charged it up and kinda forgot about it. It's on airplane mode and has practically nothing running ATM. Only android processes that keep it alive. I reckon I could have left it a bit longer and get the 30 day mark. :p

tl;dr: An exercise in longest possible battery life. Unintended.

Last edited:
This is so silly and yet so satisfying:

2014-03-24

I can't believe this thing is running so well after so many years of abuse.

And there it is, the new HTC One has been officially released and is even available for purchase from select retailers and websites today.

Android Central's mega article, which they've written before the embargo was lifted and released immediately after:

http://www.androidcentral.com/htc-one-review-2014-m8

Lots of great things, but I'm still not that sold on the design, personally. I do love the fit and finish of the device, though.

Last edited:
If I didn't "just" get my M7 I'd certainly go for an M8.

The build quality is obviously excellent and it feels really good. Other than the battery life, which is bad on all smartphones really, I don't see a single thing wrong with it.

I really don't like that it still has that huge chin now that it uses soft buttons. I would consider getting it, but with that and the screen size increase it's just too big for me to use comfortably.

Larger body and smaller screen, virtually identical internals, smaller battery than on my G2 -> do not want :)

The build quality of the aluminum body is certainly superior to the plastic, but I'll be honest... I didn't terribly like the look of the old One and I don't like this one either. Agreeing with smib on the chin point - why didn't they extend the screen further down, or made the body smaller?

Depth sensor is an interesting gimmick, not sure how it's really useful though. Gotta wait for some apps to appear that use the API; unless that happens, I'm afraid it might go the same way that the once hyped 3D smartphones went.

Last edited:
Will the FinalGear hive mind deign to help me decide on the HTC One (M8) or the Samsung Galaxy S5, please? I'd appreciate the input as I'm undecided on which to order and I'm facing a short window in which to place it (work allocations).

It seems that we Aussies get the 2.5Ghz One (M8), so it's comparable to the Galaxy S5.

Last edited:
Will the FinalGear hive mind deign to help me decide on the HTC One (M8) or the Samsung Galaxy S5, please? I'd appreciate the input as I'm undecided on which to order and I'm facing a short window in which to place it (work allocations).

It seems that we Aussies get the 2.5Ghz One (M8), so it's comparable to the Galaxy S5.

As you said the internals are more or less the same, so no advantage to either there.

The main selling points for the M8 seems to be the design, finnish and the stereo front facing speakers.
Main disadvantages would be the camera, overall length because of the speakers, heavier (165 g vs. 145 g) and no FM-radio.

The pros for S5: Slightly bigger battery (2800 mAh vs. 2600 mAh), better camera (16 MP vs. 4+2 MP), water- and dustproof.
The cons: Plastic fantastic case as always.

I guess Sense vs. Touchwiz is a matter of taste. Both have android Kitkat ofcourse.

I'm getting the M8. I like the design and the speakers are a big plus for me since I watch a lot of youtube videos on the phone. The little backwards facing speakers on most phones are pretty annoying for that.

I have had the Galaxy S2 for 3 years now, so I also just want to try something different.

Last edited:
I'm not entirely sure that the heart rate monitor on the S5 is of any value given that there are apps that will use the camera on any other phone. Another thing about the S5 is that the IP67 compliance means that there's a rubberised flap covering the USB port that would mean it's always in the way whenever I need to plug in the charger (which is frequently).

I don't think the download booster feature is a selling point as i don't have enough data allowance anyway.

Don't they have some sort of wireless charging for the S5 these days? That would solve the rubber flap issue.