The Android thread

Ice, I completely see your point regarding front-firing speakers and build quality. However, I find build quality to be fine on all devices, even the Huawei Ascend Mate 7.

ever held a cheap LG? it weight less than a wristwatch, and i hate that!
i want so weight in my hand...

ever held a cheap LG? it weight less than a wristwatch, and i hate that!
i want so weight in my hand...
I understand what you mean, a specific device can have the "right" weight. What I meant that all devices which are in discussion (Nexus 6, Huawei Ascend Mate 7, Samsung Galaxy Note 4, HTC One M9) have a good build quality.

Held the Note 4. It creaked.
I held it, too. Mine didn't creak. Overall the Nexus 6 felt cheapest due to the plastic backside. The Note 4 also has a plastic backisde with fake leather, but it's actually made quite nicely. They both have an aluminium frame.

I held it, too. Mine didn't creak. Overall the Nexus 6 felt cheapest due to the plastic backside. The Note 4 also has a plastic backisde with fake leather, but it's actually made quite nicely. They both have an aluminium frame.

If its anything like the Note 3, the build is solid but it takes cosmetic damage super easily. Mine is missing a lot of chrome. No creaking though, and I checked because that was a complaint of my Galaxy S II.

I'm sure they're improving slowly, but considering how many samsungs I get to "fix" for one issue or another, I'm still staying the fuck away.

I'm sure they're improving slowly, but considering how many samsungs I get to "fix" for one issue or another, I'm still staying the fuck away.

yeah....we get it....you don't like Samsung's phones. That has been clear for quite a while, so why don't we just assume you won't like anything they make and move on.

I know a ton of people that happily use Samsung phones and I'd definitely consider getting one again after my OnePlus One's life has run its course (its still doing just fine for the moment).

In a month it'll be time for a new phone and time to retire my Galaxy S4. So, what do you lot suggest that fits the following needs?

External memory card
Works on AT&T (GSM I believe)
3 GB ram
2 ghz main processor
Water proof would be a bonus
Android Lollipop

This is interesting to me, I didn't know you're regularly fixing phones. Well, Samsung has by far the biggest market share in the western Android world, so given the failure rate is is about identical for all manufacturers, you will get far more Samsungs in your hands than anything else.

Anyway, are there any specific types of damage you see on the Samsungs or maybe only specific Samsung models?

EDIT:
I just learned that the LG G4 will likely have a curved screen. This was widely discussed after press photos were leaked, aparrently the curvature is quite small and thus difficult to judge from photos. The radius of the curvature is supposed to be 3.0m. For comparison: the radius of the curvature of the LG Flex is 0.7m.

Last edited:
kinda makes you wonder why they go to the trouble... 3m radius on a 0,13m phone, that can't really make much of a difference, can it? o_O

Yeah, Samsungs are freaking everywhere, but even if you consider the actual percentage vs the percentage of phones that need fixing, it's telling. Mostly it's just faulty internal hardware (wifi antenna, batteries, sim card slots, sd card slots) with a few detaching screens (unit itself is just fine, the adhesive holding it to the case is inadequate).

Now, I know that other manufacturers have their foibles too, like my very own M7 needs a new battery (which will get replaced under warranty), but if you dilute it down to the basic numbers, Samsung reliability is at the very bottom.

That's weird. I've owned/handled 3 Samsungs now.

The 1st gen Galaxy S was perfectly fine for 3 years (except the aging battery which had to be replaced) until I gave it to my SO. She accidentally submerged it under water without noticing. Mind you, she found it by calling it, and it still rang under water after being fully submerged for 45 minutes. It took lethal damage though, now it reboots endlessly after the initial splash screen (no pun intended) - but who can blame it for that?

The Note 2 that was fine for almost 2 years until I stepped on the screen and cracked it. It still works flawlessly despite the spiderweb vision I have now. The only issue I ever had, maybe 4 or 5 times if my memory serves me right, was the touchscreen going weird by registering all kinds of inputs I wasn't making. A simple screen off-screen on always fixed that.

My SO has had a Galaxy SIII mini for many months now which works flawlessly so far.

Last edited:
People who drive Fiats or Peugeots and don't know better think they're "just fine" too. :dunno:

But except the extremely rare screen fuzziness of my Note 2 I haven't had any failures with a Samsung. And I do know better, actually I'm very anal about all the details of such devices. I simply cannot report any serious issues because there were none.

Last edited:
People who drive Fiats or Peugeots and don't know better think they're "just fine" too. :dunno:

I had 5 FIATs and 2 Samsung phones. :lol:
I have a Motorola now, so there is still hope.

There is no hope for me, I have a Nokia Lumia and a Citroen