The Android thread

I must admit I'm tempted by the S7 and S7 Edge. Still no fan of touchwiz because of the cartoony design but I can always use Nova...

Nova won't hide it everywhere, just the launcher. You still have the settings, the notification shade, every confirmation dialogue, which can't decide whether OK should be kB the left or the right, etc... Samsung isn't worth it until they completely ditch touchwiz and start making better hardware for the asking price.

I must admit I'm tempted by the S7 and S7 Edge. Still no fan of touchwiz because of the cartoony design but I can always use Nova...

If I don't find whatever Apple shows on the 21st interesting I'm strongly leaning towards the S6. It's quite discounted over here and I like it.

Touchwhiz never really bothered me, I've had Samsungs since the Galaxy S 2. But I'm the type who rarely puts in the effort to change things like wallpaper and lockscreen image. I bought the Note 5 for the pen, because it's the only phone on the market with that feature, but Samsung is on notice if they don't bring the memory card slot back.

Need a phone ASAP, considering these:

Samsung Galaxy Note 5:
++ Love the stylus
++ Gear VR compatibility
++ Wireless charging
-- No expandable storage
-- a little uncomfortable against my ear
-- not a super great battery
-- Slippery AF
-- Micro USB, instead of type C
-- "Meh" speaker

Huawei Nexus 6P
++ Super clean and snappy Android
++ Easier to hold
++ Type C
++ 70%+ high speed charge in 15 mins
++ Dual front-facing speakers
-- No expandable storage
-- still good, but not as good camera

LG V10
++ Expandable storage
++ Replaceable battery
++ super flexible camera software with manual mode even in video
++ standard and wide-angle face cameras
++ "2nd Screen" is neat as it shows you notifications without blocking your screen and stays on all the time...
-- "2nd screen" makes the phone quite a bit larger
-- Back panel is ugly, and wouldn't be able to just be "skinned"...it would need a whole case.
-- Crappy speaker

Motorola Droid Turbo 2
++ "Shatter proof" screen seems fairly legit
++ I really like the styling and dig the color themes...might not even get a case for it with the textured back panel
++ Awesome battery and super quick charging
++ Expandable storage
++ Most comfortable against the ear
-- Slightly smaller screen
-- The speaker isn't super great

Am I missing any important considerations (either with these, or something I didn't put in my shortlist)? Leaning towards the Note 5, but the Nexus is a better value and I like the styling of the Motorol best..but they all have shortcomings. Having decision paralysis. I just want a 5.5"+ screen, Type C, expandable storage, and dual front speakers.

Last edited:
Honestly, if i had to choose between the 4 listed, I'd be going Nexus all the way if you feel like you won't use the stylus on the Note.

The Nexus gets updates. Period. Motorola used to be decent in that regard but you cannot trust them as far as you can throw em since the Moto X 2014 debacle. Also leadership changes after the Lenovo purchase also suggests things may turn more Samsung than Nexus in terms of updates, design, and minimal bloat. LG and Samsung...well...it's LG and Samsung. You'll get a update......eventually, and who knows how many you'll get (You may get N...but what about O?).

Some may argue that you could just root and custom ROM the other phones if you want faster updates...but honestly, at least for me, I don't have time for that shit anymore.

Last edited:
Nexus! Nexus! Nexus! Nexus!

:p I may or may not be biased.

Some may argue that you could just root and custom ROM the other phones if you want faster updates...but honestly, at least for me, I don't have time for that shit anymore.

Pretty much this. Since updates requires an unmodified system AND security updates drop every month (nexusworldproblems), it's a pain even to maintain root if you want to keep on top of the updates.

Thankfully N seems to solve all my root needs (Only Adblock needs to solved now). Built in editing DPI support, Display colour control, features wise I'm loving N so far. And as Rick said who knows when will the other phones see N.

Since expandable storage is only thing holding you back (The camera is more than capable imo) what sort of media that takes up most of your space? And if you are willing break up with your wallet there is a 128gb model :p

Meh...updates aren't something I'm particularly passionate about. If it weren't for security issues or compatibility issues, I'd typically be way-OK with not updating anything ever, as long as it's working (yes, I understand that improvements also come along live battery life, etc)

Again, I'm leaning towards the Note due to Gear VR, Stylus, wireless charging, and optical image stabilization...too bad I just missed the free Gear VR promotion that ended 8 days ago. D'oh!

I've probably watched 3 hours of comparison videos over the last 2 days, and I still haven't seen anything wrong with either...so I think I'll end up with the Note just because it does have more built-in features, at the cost of being only a tiny bit behind in long-term performance (when talking about Android update optimizations).

Also, I'm a fanboy for Spigen cases, and they make a larger variety for the Note...and since I'm using a case, I can imagine the print scanner on the back would be *slightly* compromised by being "recessed" from the surface of the case.

I also like how the back and menu buttons are on the bezel, rather than overlapping the visible screen area, like the Nexus.

As for as the storage question, it's typically movies and TV shows, but with my 16GB iPhone 6, I was often filling my completely cleared out photo storage (with no videos or music on the device) before even 20% of the number of full-res photos I need to take (walking in-progress construction sites and looking for any tiny issues, primarily). 128 would be overkill, I think. :)

Last edited:
Meh...updates aren't something I'm particularly passionate about. If it weren't for security issues or compatibility issues, I'd typically be way-OK with not updating anything ever, as long as it's working (yes, I understand that improvements also come along live battery life, etc)

Again, I'm leaning towards the Note due to Gear VR, Stylus, wireless charging, and optical image stabilization...too bad I just missed the free Gear VR promotion that ended 8 days ago. D'oh!

I've probably watched 3 hours of comparison videos over the last 2 days, and I still haven't seen anything wrong with either...so I think I'll end up with the Note just because it does have more built-in features, at the cost of being only a tiny bit behind in long-term performance (when talking about Android update optimizations).

Also, I'm a fanboy for Spigen cases, and they make a larger variety for the Note...and since I'm using a case, I can imagine the print scanner on the back would be *slightly* compromised by being "recessed" from the surface of the case.

I also like how the back and menu buttons are on the bezel, rather than overlapping the visible screen area, like the Nexus.

As for as the storage question, it's typically movies and TV shows, but with my 16GB iPhone 6, I was often filling my completely cleared out photo storage (with no videos or music on the device) before even 20% of the number of full-res photos I need to take (walking in-progress construction sites and looking for any tiny issues, primarily). 128 would be overkill, I think. :)

But that's the thing...it's about more than just major version releases - but monthly security updates as well now. The Note 5 (at least on AT&T) got February's security patch...in March.

Out of the major vendors, Blackberry, Google and HTC have seemingly been the most consistent in getting the monthly patches out on time.

Still, that's the good thing about Android's device ecosystem - different vendors have different strengths that align with different users. Enjoy the Note.

Last edited:
But that's the thing...it's about more than just major version releases - but monthly security updates as well now.

Fair point. Meh...still don't care all that much about security, I guess...just when something won't work and it makes me update. :bangin: :lol:

Out of the major vendors, Blackberry, Google and HTC have seemingly been the most consistent in getting the monthly patches out on time.

I can't speak for other models of the other makes on that list, but I know the Blackberry Priv is on the same version of Lollipop as the Note 5

edit: Dang...I hate having to immediately buy. The international version is missing a frequency band used by the carrier (so potentially worse reception), but it's the only version with any "give" in the pricing that I can find...

Last edited:
Fair point. Meh...still don't care all that much about security, I guess...just when something won't work and it makes me update. :bangin: :lol:

I can't speak for other models of the other makes on that list, but I know the Blackberry Priv is on the same version of Lollipop as the Note 5

edit: Dang...I hate having to immediately buy. The international version is missing a frequency band used by the carrier (so potentially worse reception), but it's the only version with any "give" in the pricing that I can find...

:lol:

While the Lolipop version is the same, the security patch level likely is not, with the Priv probably being ahead by a month.

Is there any way you could buy the carrier version on one of those device installment plans?

The installment ends up working out to the exact same price (within 9 cents). It's not about what I can afford "right now" but just...I want a deal compared to just standard retail. Heck, when I ordered my table saw, I bought Lowe's gift cards at a 6% discount online, then I purchased it through eBates for 5% back, and then had a 10% off web coupon.

Huh...there isn't a "clean, unlocked version of the Note 5 at all. There is an "international" version, but as I mentioned it is missing some 3G frequencies, but also SamsungPay won't work, and there are a few software things that won't work like the high quality voice command responces.

The only way to get one that works 100% is to buy the carrier-specific model, which will include all their carrier crap software.

I tried to find a Nexus 6P on display, but I couldn't find a single nexus device in any of the stores I went to today (T-mobile, AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, MetroPCS, Best Buy, the special mobile phone-focused Best Buy in the mall), Cricket, and two multi-carrier local shops. Not one Nexus phone. I remember when my GF got her old Nexus 5, that it was at least on display. She still had to order it, but she could hold one and play with it for a bit.

Damnit...why did I have to get smitten by the pen/VR?

Huh...there isn't a "clean, unlocked version of the Note 5 at all. There is an "international" version, but as I mentioned it is missing some 3G frequencies, but also SamsungPay won't work, and there are a few software things that won't work like the high quality voice command responces.

The only way to get one that works 100% is to buy the carrier-specific model, which will include all their carrier crap software.

I tried to find a Nexus 6P on display, but I couldn't find a single nexus device in any of the stores I went to today (T-mobile, AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, MetroPCS, Best Buy, the special mobile phone-focused Best Buy in the mall), Cricket, and two multi-carrier local shops. Not one Nexus phone. I remember when my GF got her old Nexus 5, that it was at least on display. She still had to order it, but she could hold one and play with it for a bit.

Damnit...why did I have to get smitten by the pen/VR?

Yeah. Samsung does not sell unlocked phones direct here. Period. Some suggest it's at the carrier's behest. Who knows for sure.

As far as the Nexus 6P - it hasn't been picked up by carriers like other Nexus devices. This is likely due to a variety of reasons - carriers not giving a fuck about past Nexus releases beyond getting the display phone in the store...let alone actually selling them, incentives to push hardware with their money making shovelware and services preinstalled, etc.

You should find it at Best Buy but at a full size Best Buy/Best Buy Mobile. - the kiosks don't have a ton of space and the carriers would rather you look at carrier locked handsets...and probably encourage/pay BB to ensure that what you see.

Also, the carrier locked handsets likely sell better...why devote kiosk space for a device that only a few have heard about.

Sorry, I meant that I went to a regular Beat Buy (two actually), AND the mall Best Buy Mobile store.

Bummer.

Sorry, I meant that I went to a regular Beat Buy (two actually), AND the mall Best Buy Mobile store.

Bummer.

Dang. That stinks.

there are updates for custom roms???
that's why i haven't rooted mine yet, because right now motorolla is still providing updates, and i thought no custom ROM will ever get updates!?

so, if i install this, it will get security and system updates?
http://www.android.gs/update-2013-moto-g-android-6-0-marshmallow-cm13-rom/

if so, i'm updating tonight!