The Apple Silicon discussion and experience thread

eizbaer

Forum Addict
DONOR
Car(s)
Tesla Model 3
I already read an article that claims these reports are mostly due to third party tools reporting on smart data that is not being interpreted correctly. There are examples of some two month old devices that according to the data reported have < 100 hours of operation (unlikely in a work machine) combined with more than 200 power cycles (as in once every half-hour?).
edit: the screenshot in the article shows 190 hours in two months, which is roughly 3 hours per day and a power cycle on average every 45min... not totally unrealistic, but certainly a bit weird? The article above also mentions the possibility of reporting errors, but they somehow doubt it. Fair enough, since they say the same is being reported on intel machines now...

marcos_eirik

Car(s)
Mostly my feet, occasionally a Tesla
More about the possible SSD wear here:

On a different note, the "M1X" destined for the higher end MacBook Pro machines as well as the iMacs, are possibly going to be something special:

Perc

Very Odd Looking Vehicular Object
Car(s)
Insignia CT 4x4 CDTI Biturbo

Seems a new iMac is coming sooner than later, which means we‘ll see a new badass CPU.

marcos_eirik

Car(s)
Mostly my feet, occasionally a Tesla

Seems a new iMac is coming sooner than later, which means we‘ll see a new badass CPU.
If what is coming is going to replace the iMac Pro, not only "just" the 4K (21,5") and 5K (27") iMacs, it will also need a badass GPU to go with that badass CPU. The GPU in question will have to outperform the Radeon Pro Vega 64, of the outgoing iMac Pro.

It will be very interesting to see how much performance Apple can deliver with these higher end chips, where energy efficiency is less of a concern than in the applications the M1 is currently in.

Last edited: