The Apple Silicon discussion and experience thread

Last edited:
I already read an article that claims these reports are mostly due to third party tools reporting on smart data that is not being interpreted correctly. There are examples of some two month old devices that according to the data reported have < 100 hours of operation (unlikely in a work machine) combined with more than 200 power cycles (as in once every half-hour?).
edit: the screenshot in the article shows 190 hours in two months, which is roughly 3 hours per day and a power cycle on average every 45min... not totally unrealistic, but certainly a bit weird? The article above also mentions the possibility of reporting errors, but they somehow doubt it. Fair enough, since they say the same is being reported on intel machines now...

More about the possible SSD wear here:

On a different note, the "M1X" destined for the higher end MacBook Pro machines as well as the iMacs, are possibly going to be something special:

Seems a new iMac is coming sooner than later, which means we‘ll see a new badass CPU.
If what is coming is going to replace the iMac Pro, not only "just" the 4K (21,5") and 5K (27") iMacs, it will also need a badass GPU to go with that badass CPU. The GPU in question will have to outperform the Radeon Pro Vega 64, of the outgoing iMac Pro.

It will be very interesting to see how much performance Apple can deliver with these higher end chips, where energy efficiency is less of a concern than in the applications the M1 is currently in.

Last edited:
Soooo about those airtags... as I didn’t follow the presentation, just Twitter, I’m mostly clueless... those tags require what generation of iPhone to properly work? My X is not gonna cut it, right? ?

I think it'll work fine with just BLE on any iPhones, but you need an iPhone 12 with their U1 chip for the best experience.

I’m with Marques on this one...

It's not ugly, but it feels unimaginative. It's just screen and space for speakers. The tablet on a stand is old, it came out in what, 2005 and only got thinner?

I’m with Marques on this one...
Missed opportunity there. I don't like the white bezels, never looked good on the iPhone or the iPads, doesn't look good here either. Next, why didn't they take the opportunity to remove that chin as well, or do they feel it's an iMac "thing"? Also, BOOO at the lack of a space gray color option.

On the other hand, cool that they gave the iPad the M1 chip, and T4 port. And that mini-LED for the 12,9", but why not the 11" as well?

Yeah it’s a design decision I don’t get... why have bezels and that horrible chin and make it that slim. Why not make it 1 cm thicker and get rid of the crap? ?‍♂️

Yeah it’s a design decision I don’t get... why have bezels and that horrible chin and make it that slim. Why not make it 1 cm thicker and get rid of the crap? ?‍♂️
well, the stream of the product release showed why, speakers and the computer hardware is there, up above it's just display.

Yeag, but they could’ve shoved it up behind the display easily if they’d made the device a bit thicker.

IMHO, that iMac is the ugliest Mac probably since the iBook G3 clamshell. It's even uglier than the G5 iMac and its Intel-powered polycarbonate brethren. Heck, I can't think of any Apple products in general that look worse than this made in this millennium.

And it goes even beyond the white bezels (which I always hated on smartphones back while they still had those) and the unnecessary chin: most monitors nowadays have the I/O on the side, why does this have everything at the back? At least it doesn't charge from the bottom, unlike a certain pointing device...

There are a few nice touches like the power cable, the internal design, the TouchID finally being introduced on the Magic Keyboard and the colours. But as a general package, I have mixed feelings.

I could go on about the line-up and pricing as well, but I'm still waiting for the M1X chip (or whatever it'll be called) and the larger-size iMac. Not planning on buying either of those, but they'll be paving the way for some future Apple Silicon-powered Macs, one of which might become my next computer.

Overall, I'm not exactly disappointed, but I don't like it either.

If this ends up happening, I will be very happy about having bought the current M1 MacBook Air:

The concept they made there looks very nice, I just hope that Apple has the decency to offer it in black or space gray with black bezels and keys along the colored ones with the horrid white bezels and white keys.

Leaked schematics have also confirmed that the MacBook Pro gets some of the IO back: MagSafe charging, full-size HDMI and SD card slot, but no USB-A.

Regarding the M1 iMac I still have to wait and see how it looks in person before I make my mind up, but I never liked white bezels, not on iPhones, iPads or iPods. I just hope that Apple have the decency to launch a black/space gray version with black bezels, sometime later, after all rumors have circulated that they are working on some new matt black finishes.

What's with the flamboyant pastel colors? I don't want to look like I'm celebrating Easter or Springtime or a Baby Shower all the time.

Yes, I want colorful things, but not colors that would look good in a Go Daddy ad or female *product.*

I’m guessing that people that want a laptop finished in grayscale will have to get one with “Pro” in the name.

Well, from those concept renders and from the color offerings of the iMac, you'll most likely be able to have it in silver though, so not that different from how the MacBook Air always looked until the 2018 redesign, white (silver) screen bezels and all:

MacBook_Air_black.png

MacBook_Air_Mid_2012.png

Except that this new one will be coming in colors and with white, rather than black keys. and the chassis will no longer be tapered wedge shape. That being said, I still hope they eventually will offer it in black or space gray with black bezels and keys.