The Apple Silicon discussion and experience thread

I don't know if this is an Apple issue or an M1 issue, but I recently bought a Logitech MX Master 3. I got the Mac version because why not? It matches my Apple keyboard and is otherwise the same mouse, I thought.

After unboxing I learned that the Mac version doesn't come with the Unifying Receiver like the other models. This wouldn't be a problem if it wasn't for the fact that it performs like shit over Bluetooth paired to my M1 Mini. It feels like a late 90's wireless mouse. Laggy, choppy and imprecise. Like I said I don't know where the problem is (Logitech or Apple) but my Magic Mouse (which otherwise is an ergonomic disaster) works fine with the Mini...

So I spent an additional €18 on a stand-alone Unifying Receiver which will spend its entire life plugged into the back of my monitor. Switching from BT to RF totally transformed the mouse, it now works like it should.

I had the exact same issue with my Late 2018 Intel Mac Mini and MX Master 3. Ended up having to reinstall the Logi Options program and resetting Bluetooth and the mouse.

Been fine since then, but it was very frustrating, so I understand the motivation to use the unifying receiver.

Yeah, same problem with the Bluetooth with an MX Master 2S on my M1 Mini, I've had to use the dongle too.

Logi Options is still a piece of shit that crashes and restarts itself once in a while, but it seems able to recover itself better using the dongle than Bluetooth.

I'm using the MX Master 3 with an M1 MacBook Air, and it works fine here. But it is not the "Mac-version" so it was a bit choppy before I installed the Logi Options and set it up. I first tried plugging the Unifying Receiver into the HyperDrive dock, but that didn't do much, so I guess the Logi software has to do its trick for it to work properly. After that install, it was fine.

I’ve reinstalled Logi Options to no avail. Plugging in the unifying receiver and re-pairing the mouse as unifying rather than BT fixed everything.

I do agree that Logi Options is shit, but it’s less shit than it used to be. Still Intel though which there’s no excuse for.

The fact that Spotify is still Intel only is ridiculous. It runs like dogshit on my Mini, and crashes every time the thing goes to sleep. Half the time it crashes if I try to use the keyboard to change songs. It’s the sole reason I’ve started using YouTube Music since they killed Play Music.

The fact that Spotify is still Intel only is ridiculous. It runs like dogshit on my Mini, and crashes every time the thing goes to sleep. Half the time it crashes if I try to use the keyboard to change songs. It’s the sole reason I’ve started using YouTube Music since they killed Play Music.

Spotify development is worthless. It took them, what, a year or something to support the new screen resolution on the iPhone 6 Plus. Something that should've been ready to go by day one.

That said, spotify runs fine on my M1 mini. As does everything else including system utilities etc that are Intel.

tbh the amount of times Spotify crashes on my Windows machine is ridiculous as well... it seems to react rather allergically to changing audio devices - something that currently happens quite often for me, what with jumping in and out of conference calls and the BT headset changing profiles all the time. ugh.

On my devices Spotify has a habit of randomly throwing some of my playlists out of "available offline", so I have to download them again, which cannot be done in the background, you have to have Spotify open while it downloads. It also randomly crashes on both my iOS devices and on my Mac, so I'm literally just a minor annoyance away from throwing out Spotify for Apple Music, I have been a consistent Spotify Premium user since 2012.

Got a confirmation from our company IT that M1 devices are in the final steps of testing before being officially added to the portfolio. And that I'm by far not the only one waiting for a 16" M1 device :) All in all, this bodes well... now it's "only" on Apple to make the damn thing, and make it good.

Spotify development is worthless. It took them, what, a year or something to support the new screen resolution on the iPhone 6 Plus. Something that should've been ready to go by day one.

That said, spotify runs fine on my M1 mini. As does everything else including system utilities etc that are Intel.
Spotify is the only Intel app that acts out on me on my Mini. Everything else is perfectly fine. ?‍♀️

I've been running the heaviest app I can think of (Android Studio) to build and compile an Android app on my M1 mini with only a small performance hit and basically no bugs. The fact that it's running fine but a music player can't run properly is quite amazing.

I've been running the heaviest app I can think of (Android Studio) to build and compile an Android app on my M1 mini with only a small performance hit and basically no bugs. The fact that it's running fine but a music player can't run properly is quite amazing.
Not just any music app - a music app built with Electron. There's a few other Electron apps I run that aren't Native M1 yet and they don't have any issue at all. It just bottles the mind.

Updates fixed the ssd wear problem?

iMac stangled?

Want an iMac, but you don't like the style of the new M1 iMac? Fear not! There is a solution:

Saw an M1 iMac today. Linus, in his video review, was right...one forgets how small a 24" monitor is...and that's the only option (without going to the old design's 27"). It's a terrific display...but small. That mac mini is a brilliant solution, with all of the additional I/O, and no external power brick. Noice.

Want an iMac, but you don't like the style of the new M1 iMac? Fear not! There is a solution:

This is basically what I did. I have a lovely 27" monitor that I didn't want to give up, so I just bolted the Mini to the back of it. Add a USB hub to the bottom of the monitor and bob's your uncle - custom iMac. Works a charm.

My MBA 2013 won't see the next version of macOS. I don't use a laptop on a daily basis but I still need one and I don't have patience for outdated stuff so I decided to pull the trigger and upgrade. Got an M1 Air with 512 gigs, but only 8 gigs of ram compared to my Mini which has 16. Curious to see if I'll regret skimping on RAM considering I plan to use this for many years to come.

Anyways, I just took it out of my bag after like 36 hours of not paying any attention to it at all. Still at 99% charge. I love this.

My MBA 2013 won't see the next version of macOS. I don't use a laptop on a daily basis but I still need one and I don't have patience for outdated stuff so I decided to pull the trigger and upgrade. Got an M1 Air with 512 gigs, but only 8 gigs of ram compared to my Mini which has 16. Curious to see if I'll regret skimping on RAM considering I plan to use this for many years to come.

Anyways, I just took it out of my bag after like 36 hours of not paying any attention to it at all. Still at 99% charge. I love this.
Yes, it's pretty much like an iPad in that way, just way much more powerful and not constrained by it's software. 8 gigs of ram is going to be more than enough for everyday tasks for many years going forwards, it's only if you do ram-heavy tasks like photo/video editing or something power hungry like that you will need more ram down the line.

You can also most likely charge it from the same charge brick as an iPad or an iPhone, that is practical.